Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

trying to get back on track

dancertoridancertori Posts: 127 The Mix Convert
edited March 27 in Work & Study
so ive always wanted to be a paramedic, im 19  and my highest level of education is GCSE, i got good grades 2 Ds, 3 cs and 7 bs, and a U as i sat most of a course, then the teacher refused to let me into the exam. i worked so hard to get what i did, battling thorugh bullying, inpaitent treatment, suicide attempts, self harm, and sexual abuse, and still came out good, i started a year of an apprenticeship, but after 6 months i had to quit due to my mental health getting much worse, all of my peers from school have just finished 1st year uni, and here i am with a few GCSEs. i want to get back on track but i still am not ready for college. i dont know what to do anymore. do i still stand a chance of getting my dream job of being a paramedic?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

The medicine field is really competitive - to enter it, you have to work hard, perform well and achieve a good university degree in the field, with follow up training and placements. Of course you can apply now or later when you're ready, but going to university and following the traditional degree route is the only real route to being a paramedic. But you're still young and have plenty of time on your side, so it's definitely still possible!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    You might well have seen this already @dancertori, but the NHS have a great page on how to become either a full time or student paramedic (the latter has much lower entry requirements).

You've got good reason to be at a different point with your education than your peers - it sounds like you've overcome a lot to be where you are now. As @Azziman said, you're not going to run out of time to go after this so it definitely isn't a dead dream. :)

Where did you do your apprenticeship?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • dancertoridancertori Posts: 127 The Mix Convert
    Mike said:
    You might well have seen this already @dancertori, but the NHS have a great page on how to become either a full time or student paramedic (the latter has much lower entry requirements).

You've got good reason to be at a different point with your education than your peers - it sounds like you've overcome a lot to be where you are now. As @Azziman said, you're not going to run out of time to go after this so it definitely isn't a dead dream. :)

Where did you do your apprenticeship?
    My apprenticeship was in a sail loft, making the sails for boats, I loved the work itself, but unfortunately i struggled due to it being a mainly male work place, and some of the conversations were very controversial, and there opinions hurt me mentally a lot, I spent a lot of time sat on my phone messaging helplines and such like, because i was struggling to cope with the conversations, and putting head phones on wasn't a option due to the machinery being used.

i have already seen that link, but unfortunately due to seizures that i have, which they believe to be caused by my CPTSD, i cant drive, or get a licence, so every seizure i have pushes my dreams further away.
  • CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    Just wanted to drop in a link from the Prospects website, they have loads of info on different careers, entry requirements and similar, as well as a "what jobs might suit me?" section, which might help you get some ideas?

I'm sorry to hear that your seizures mean that being a paramedic seems far away. I've been in a similar situation with my health and jobs so I can definitely relate. I'm not sure how it works with being a paramedic, I imagine it's more difficult than other jobs, but if you have a health condition your workplace have to make adjustments (for example, in another job they may have to get you taxis if you can't drive). 

Another place I wanted to suggest is Young Women's Trust, they provide free coaching for young women trying to find employment, and can help you consider different options.

I know I've given you a lot of links and things to think about here, but hopefully they'll help you a little. It's great that you're trying to get back on track with things despite all you've experienced! 
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Ahhhhh a fellow person who wants to become a paramedic!

Hey, have you thought about volunteering for st John's ambulance by the way?you don't need any experience and if you're successful in the interview, they will train you and you can move further up the ranks 😁I won't waffle on since others have mentioned really helpful things too!
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    hey, I don't have much experience and don't know what uni stuff you need, but my cousin came out the army and wanted to be a paramedic, he wasn't very academic but done the courses and worked his way through the ranks, starting as am ambulance technician, as @Salix_alba_2019 said, volunteering may be a good start :) <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''