Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

no placement and start next week

Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
edited March 27 in Work & Study

Hi all,

Been ages, since I last posted on here. We start placement in a weeks time, and yet, I still don't have a confirmed place. I 've tried speaking to uni staff, sent numourous emails, spoke face-toface and getting no-where with them.

Makes it harder when I have a placement plan for my autism, and upon seeing this, places are scared to offer me a place.

A local PRU is happy to take me on, but her first reaction to my placement plan was "oh my goodness, can we support her, are we the right environment".  But then, I have't got another placement.

If  I don't do placement, I could fail the whole year! I do vol work in a school but they don't accept places we already work, volunteer in.

I'm getting so stressed over it all, it's getting to me! Don't know what to do?

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    Hey there,

How's the situation now? Is the local PRU still happy to take you on? If they are, I'm sure when they get to know you a bit more, they'll be more understanding. 

You've mentioned that you've tried speaking to uni staff and I'm wondering if you have talked to the careers service? They might be able to help find a placement for you. Another possibility is talking to other people on your course and finding out where they have been able to get a placement and see if you can also go there. 

I understand how stressful it must be for you when so much hangs on getting a placement. Keep being persistent and hope things work out for you! 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Invisible_me!

PRUs can be really cool places - there's generally much smaller classes and so you get to know the young people really well. Obviously the young people face challenges (or else they wouldn't be there) but that just makes the word even more rewarding.

PRUs also tend to have staff who have experience of working in SEN education and can often have quite high ratios of SEN students on roll so, why I get we're all different, this may put them in a good place to understand your needs and how to best support you. Remember the lady who reacted as you describe is just one staff member there, I'd expect they'll be plenty of others who'll have very different views.

Hope you're sorted and this helped to ease a couple of your anxieties. You're going to smash it, wherever you go! Good luck!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert

Hey both

thank you for your replies. I did see these earlier. I am now instead doing it where I volunteer just in a different key stage. So far, I have enjoyed this and had different experience of going on  a trip, in  a different year helping cover etc... So very wide mixed.