Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Share your top tips for self-care, coping & avoiding self-harm

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
edited March 2019 in Health & Wellbeing
Related image

Hey everyone,

This week it's Eating Disorders Awareness Week and Self-Harm Awareness Day. We thought it would be good to put together a thread where we can all share our top tips for self-care, coping and avoiding self-harm. 

Comment below 5 things that help you when you're struggling. Maybe something on your list could help someone that's struggling. 

We'll be creating a Community top tips guide so if there's something someone has listed that you like, comment on this thread to let us know :) 

- Aife & the team
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    There’s a few that Beth from CAMHS have given me that I sometimes use
    1. Holding ice in your hand ( creates pain without leaving a scar ) 
    2.Drawing on the place you want to Self harm with a red Pen ( simulated blood without attucally self harming and it’s pretty good to be able to wipe it away after )
    3. Draw a Butterfly on where you want to self harm and spray it with hairspray to make it waterproof ( deterrent from self harming as you won’t want to ruin the beautiful butterfly) 
    4. Sleep ! ( if your asleep you can’t do anything and hopefully when you awake the feeling would of passed ) 
    5. Calm Harm app ( encourages you to ride the wave of urges and provides different activities to do , you don’t even have to think of then there already listed ) 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SkyeIsNotTheLimitSkyeIsNotTheLimit Posts: 86 Budding Regular
    1. Pop balloons
    2. Draw, paint or make something - art therapy
    3. Hide objects you'd use - some put them in the freezer
    4. Punch pillow
    5. Message friends or call support lines
    I told her once I wasn’t good at anything. She told me survival is a talent
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,454 Skive's The Limit
    edited February 2019
    I have so much more than 5 so quite hard

1- this breathing thing 
    https://goo.gl/images/S6Fm2L

2 - reading positive affrimations/quotes

3 - looking at things around me in loads of detail - colours,texure,shape ect. To focus on present (mindfullness)

4 watch eastenders - so it makes me feel lil bit better about my own life lool cause so bad & is distraction aswell

5 - be around people - cause less likely to self harm & be with pets

“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley