Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Post of the week Poll

luc_bluc_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
It's time to vote. The nominations are...

grace
grace wrote: »
I just went to the beach with my friends. Thigh high in gloopy mud, and then a mud fight. It's put me in a really good mood despite all the bathroom cleaning that followed!

omg_hi
omg hi wrote: »
i'm 20 and my dad is 67. my mum is ten years younger than my dad. i don't think my dad's age has ever been an issue, infact when i was younger i remember some friends having really young dads and thinking how much better mine was. the only thing that worries me is that my dad might not live long enough to see me and my sister marry, but he is very healthy and most people (including my boyfriend) are very surprised when i say how old he is, because he seems much younger. i think having children older kept him young and active, because he had to be. he also still works full-time. i am not embarrassed and it's never an issue. i've never met most of my friends' dads, i don't see when i would need to, and i couldn't care less how old they are. and to be honest, many of them have absent fathers and i am very proud that mine is still greatly involved in my life. i don't see why the ages of our parents is relevant to anything, and i don't think that my parents are that much older than most people's, yes they could be my grandparents if they had their children very young, but the fact they didn't has benefited us. they were married young and had a life together before having us, they have life experience and have been through lots of things that have helped given them the wisdom to look after us which younger parents might not have. the way my mum and dad have dealt with my mental illness has been admirable and i think that the years they have spent teaching and helping others before i came along gave them greater insight to help me.

i think it's quite shallow to be embarrassed of your parents' ages, be proud of their lives and their health and everything they have done for you. i have to think for a minute if someone asks me how old my mum and dad are because it is something that doesn't matter to me. you say that your friends have younger parents - so what? are they bothered or is it just you? having difficulty getting along with your parents is common regardless of their age, especially when you go through being a teenager and exams and everything else. i don't always get on with my mum and dad, at times we have huge arguments and fall-outs, but i think we still would if they were 20 years younger.

butterflykisses
I wish they would ban football from vuvuzela concerts.

I'd much rather listen to a load of people having an awesome time and making funny noises together than watch (as Charlie Brooker puts it) 22 millionaires ruining a lawn.

Post of the week Poll 30 votes

grace
30% 9 votes
omg_hi
20% 6 votes
butterflykisses
50% 15 votes