Home Introduce Yourself
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

*waving*

hnh_xhnh_x NewbieWonderlandPosts: 10 Confirmed not a robot
Hey!

​My name is Hannah, I'm 17 years old and I'm currently studying French, English Literature, Film Studies and Sociology at sixth form. I enjoy reading, watching movies (duh), visiting the seaside, taking photos and teaching myself piano. Right now, I'm trying to find some yoga exercises that work for me and to motivate myself to start jogging.
​My favourite movies are Billy Elliot, Nowhere Boy and Love, Simon. I love a sweet coming-of-age story that can make me tear up. I'm also 75% convinced that I'm a little old lady deep down because I'm getting super into doing puzzles from a puzzle book, baking, doing jigsaws and knitting. Can I retire at age 17?
​I suffer from anxiety (my backseat driver...) and so I'll probably be living in the Health and Lifestyle subforum for a little while.

​I hope I can get to know some of you because you all seem so lovely here.

​Hannah :heart:

Comments

  • SiobhanSiobhan Posts: 14,450 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Welcome to the boards Hannah. Everyone is lovely and hope you find support here. Exercise is v therapeutic so I hope you managed to motivate yourself! Is great that -you enjoy many different things!
    “ i think that deep down you still think life is worth living. It’s no where near over for you. You’re in pain. The thing you lost, Is the same thing that can stop that pain”
  • MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 The Mix Regular
    Hello Hannah. Welcome aboard. I think you'll enjoy yourself here and as Shaunie said, everyone is lovely and supportive.

    Academically I'm similar to you, but dropped English / Literature after getting an A*. Now I doing an online degree course in Tudor history and work from home. Like you, I love jigsaw puzzles, baking but on rainy days and knitting. An unusual hobby I enjoy though is Locksport. Heard of it? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locksport

    There is nothing quite as satisfying than the achievement of picking a lock. Hahaa! :d Check out The Lock Picking Lawyer on You Tube.

    All the best and have a good week,

    ~ Belle

  • hnh_xhnh_x Newbie WonderlandPosts: 10 Confirmed not a robot
    I had no idea locksport was a thing haha! I'll definitely check it out. Ive actually gotten addicted to rubiks cube videos on youtube recently and they're so oddly therapeutic. Tudor history sounds awesome, definitely very interesting I'm sure.

    Thanks Shaunie! I'm hoping to buy some more appropriate kit for jogging too, so I can go further (and hopefully the new clothes will motivate me too, I love clothes!)
  • AifeAife LondonCommunity Manager Posts: 2,647 Boards Champion
    Welcome to the boards Hannah, it's lovely to have you here :wave:

    I haven't seen the film Love Simon but I really want to see it! Hope you enjoy using the boards. I'm a moderator here so you'll see me around from time to time :)

    - Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 The Mix Regular
    I've been picking locks since 11 when mother locked herself out of the house and got into a terrible snit because the locksmith was charging £100 call out. Having a idea, I said I could get in, but it'll cost her a fifty. Mother gave me the death stare. I laughed, said fifty or nothing - please yourself. I mean - fifty quid was a LOT to an 11 year old. But I had an idea... ;)

    After frittin' about, mother reluctantly agreed. Using a hammer from the garage and its key, identical to the Union brand double locking rim deadlatch on our front door, I bumped the lock by clouting the key a few times with hammer. It's called "bumping". I shouldered the door and it swung open. I threatened to shut it back up until mother gave me the fifty. Scowling she paid up. :d

    Some of that money bought me a lockpick set. "The devil makes work for idle hands." And the rest, Hannah, has been terrific fun.

    Edited to add @hnh_x but I've remembered some very good books on Tudor history and I recommend you buy them on the cheap second hand from either Amazon UK or Abe Books https://www.abebooks.co.uk/

    Authors such as: John Guy for Thomas Becket, My Heart is My Own: The Life of Mary Queen of Scots, Tudor England. Tudors (The History of England), by Peter Ackroyd, also Philippa Gregory who wrote the splendid The King's Curse (Plantagenet and Tudor Novels), and absolute MUST BUY - The Secret Garden (100th Anniversary Edition) by Francis Hodgson Burnette for the princely sum of 1p + £2.80 delivery from Amaon UK.

    Are you a bookwormy like me? :razz:
  • hnh_xhnh_x Newbie WonderlandPosts: 10 Confirmed not a robot
    Thank you Aife!

    Abe books looks very good Belle! I'll definitely look into it. I am definitely a book worm and I've been looking to broaden my taste with classics so your recommendation of The Secret Garden is definitely very well timed. Right now I've been focusing on analysing The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger for my English coursework (we got to pick from our own selection).
  • AngelIsMe21AngelIsMe21 The Mix convert Posts: 132 Settling in
    hnh_x wrote: »
    Hey!

    ​My name is Hannah, I'm 17 years old and I'm currently studying French, English Literature, Film Studies and Sociology at sixth form. I enjoy reading, watching movies (duh), visiting the seaside, taking photos and teaching myself piano. Right now, I'm trying to find some yoga exercises that work for me and to motivate myself to start jogging.
    ​My favourite movies are Billy Elliot, Nowhere Boy and Love, Simon. I love a sweet coming-of-age story that can make me tear up. I'm also 75% convinced that I'm a little old lady deep down because I'm getting super into doing puzzles from a puzzle book, baking, doing jigsaws and knitting. Can I retire at age 17?
    ​I suffer from anxiety (my backseat driver...) and so I'll probably be living in the Health and Lifestyle subforum for a little while.

    ​I hope I can get to know some of you because you all seem so lovely here.

    ​Hannah :heart:

    Hello Hannah (Loving the name. It's my name too😂)

    A warm welcome to The Mix boards, we're happy to have you hear with us.

    It's a positive that you have so many hobbies, interests and things which you enjoy doing as having those will also greatly benefit you in times of need. See you around, Hannah.
  • MikeMike Community Manager Posts: 4,098 Community Veteran
    Welcome welcome! :wave: Love the intro.
    Taking a break 🌈
  • MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 The Mix Regular
    hnh_x wrote: »
    Thank you Aife!

    Abe books looks very good Belle! I'll definitely look into it. I am definitely a book worm and I've been looking to broaden my taste with classics so your recommendation of The Secret Garden is definitely very well timed. Right now I've been focusing on analysing The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger for my English coursework (we got to pick from our own selection).

    Stephen Chbosky and J.D Salinger are two awesome authors, but given a choice I'd have taken Stephen Chbosky for the Perks of Being a Wallflower because it's so evocative of adolescent angst that’s devastatingly honest in one moment, and honestly devastating in the next. The book moved me deeply and helped give me courage to face an unknown future. It's an absolute literary great. I'm sure you will do very well in English Literature.

    Being random here, but do you think that teaching would be a career you would like to do? I think teaching is a calling and it is something that I am seriously considering. Take care of yourself, Hannah. :)

    Belle <3
  • AzzimanAzziman The Mix convert Community Champion Posts: 1,270 Wise Owl
    Hi Hannah

    Welcome! It's nice to see a fellow teenager on the forum!x

    Much love <3
  • independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandCommunity Champion Posts: 7,875 Legendary Poster
    Hi Hannah, I know I’ve just replied your other thread but thought I’d say welcome over here too! So, welcome!! I’m Eleanor, I’m 15 and I also love Billy Elliot 😊 but anyway!! Im glad you’ve found us here it’s an amazing place😊😊
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • hnh_xhnh_x Newbie WonderlandPosts: 10 Confirmed not a robot
    Mirabelle wrote: »

    Stephen Chbosky and J.D Salinger are two awesome authors, but given a choice I'd have taken Stephen Chbosky for the Perks of Being a Wallflower because it's so evocative of adolescent angst that&#146;s devastatingly honest in one moment, and honestly devastating in the next. The book moved me deeply and helped give me courage to face an unknown future. It's an absolute literary great. I'm sure you will do very well in English Literature.

    Being random here, but do you think that teaching would be a career you would like to do? I think teaching is a calling and it is something that I am seriously considering. Take care of yourself, Hannah. :)

    Belle <3

    Definitely! I've been looking more into teaching Media Studies though as I'm not sure I'd cope with the pressure of teaching English.

    Thank you everybody! 💕
  • MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 The Mix Regular
    hnh_x wrote: »

    Definitely! I've been looking more into teaching Media Studies though as I'm not sure I'd cope with the pressure of teaching English.

    Thank you everybody! 💕

    I should think whatever subject, teaching will have its pressures. Here is a useful government info website from Department of Education.

    https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

    You would be properly trained to deal with pressures of the job, and also be paid while learning. Eligibility, Funding & Salary etc is all there. Have a look and see what you think. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.