Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you think of couple’s having a joint social media account?

EstherEsther Deactivated Posts: 31 Boards Initiate
Hey Everyone !

We just wanted to know your thoughts about couples having joint social media, feel free to post your ideas and opinions. :)
:hyper:

vda.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RayofhopeRayofhope Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Hi Esther,

I have never heard of this before and it’s an interesting topic. I feel like if it was used in a positive way then it can be great. Do they both have separate social media accounts as well? If they don’t I feel like then maybe you don’t have as much freedom on the social media as you would like and maybe aren’t allowed to post what you would like or follow what your interested in.

Rayofhope🌈
    Life doesn’t require we be the best, only that we try our best
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hi Esther!x

I used to know two people that did share a social media account. I think it can be problematic sometimes - for instance, what one person wants to follow may annoy the other when it keeps popping up on their feed. Of course, it can be awkward when the two people have conflicting views on a person that one messaged. There's also the issue of likes/comments - what is said from the account needs to reflect what both people think, even if they have different views.

From the outside, I think that it can be a sign of their trust in one another if successful. But I think it can cause several issues due to difference in opinions etc as shown above! Of course, having a really open and understanding relationship is the foundation for making a joint social media account succeed!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    FranFran Posts: 118 The Mix Convert
    Hi everyone!!

I think it depends on the reasons why a couple opts for it. I think that sometimes it can be a way to control the partner and their activities and I think that trust would be shown not having a couple profile but two different ones, because in this way there's no possibility to directly check all the partner's activities, but you just have to trust him/her and I think that this is more respectful.
    It can also be confusing for the other members of the social network because it isn't always easy to understand who has posted something - a pic, a comment... -, so I definitely prefer individual profiles. This obviously doesn't mean that couple profile are wrong, it just depends on the premises and as long as it isn't a way to control because there's no trust and as long as it's respectful than that's ok! :)
  • Options
    PositiveAuraPositiveAura Posts: 150 Helping Hand
    Hi all!:wave:

​Love hearing everyone's thoughts on this. I agree with most of you in thinking that it depends on what the use is and the reasons behind it. It can sometimes depend on the type of account too. For example Facebook is much more personal than something like Instagram which is based more on images and blog-style videos.

​My partner and I have a joint social media account which we use for our travels, fitness, volunteering, project work, LGBT and vegan stuff etc. so really it's like our own Instagram blog. And it's amazing and we've connected with so many different people through it. As a couple it's definitely made more of an impact and become a bigger part of our lives. It's even opened up new opportunities for us. So for this, I think it's been awesome to share our experiences as a couple and connect with other people around the world. We've had no issues with using it, alternate who replies and do really well with sharing it.

But on a personal level, we also have our own social media accounts. But this is because we have different friends/family on there and so this would be trickier to share. That said, we're completely open with them, have nothing to hide and share most things. But for some couples this is a problem. If the reasons behind having a joint account is to control the other person and due to trust issues, then this is a very negative thing and can be damaging to the relationship. Ultimately here, the issues with trust and honesty should be worked through rather than having a joint account as a resolution.

-PositiveAura:rainbow2:
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Agree with whats said above. As long as done in right way &for a reason and they have their own seperate ones aswell then think it is okay . And also other people knowing it is a joint account. I dont really see many joint accounts that i have known of, though.
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
    I also completely agree with everything everyone else has replied: I feel like it largely depends on the reason behind starting the joint account - is it to monitor the other person, or just to share moments together as a couple? Obviously, the former would be a bit problematic since it seems to suggest a lack of trust, or some sort of controlling relationship. Regardless, I don't think it would sound healthy. But, if it were the latter, then I think the idea is really cute! (Though, as someone mentioned before, it might get a bit annoying if one person does something the other doesn't particularly agree to, like following a bunch of people that the other doesn't really want to see etc. but I don't think these issues would really become too major without proper communication, which is vital to any relationship and so this could maybe even help partners become more understanding of each other?)
    -peachysoo