Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Too much work

James_James_ Posts: 21 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've recently realised that the only career that would interest me and that i'd love would be being a doctor. The problem is that it's apparently virtually impossible to become one (which is kinda weird because NHS complain that they dont have enough) and at the moment im in year 11 and got my gcses in May. I got mocks in January but i have to submit my a level options in 3 weeks and i just feel like there's too much revision and shit that i have to do to get really high grades. I've spent most of my afternoon making flashcards for chemistry but it has felt like i haven't made any progress. Also we get so much homework that it's hard to fit in anything else (i got to write up 11 pages for History due Thursday as an example). Also i've only been using the revision guide so far for science but my teacher then said that they aren't any good, has anyone solely used these and got good grades?
To sum it up, because i probably wrote too much, basically can anyone give advise on how much time i should spend a night revising in order to get all 'a*'s and 'a's. Also are flashcards not detailed enough for revision notes?
If anyone can take their time to reply i'd be really grateful
Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Never stop chasing your dreams! I use revision guides and also past papers for revising, something that also helped me was listening to song about the subject I was revising, there's tons on YouTube and I always remember songs lol. Revision times depend on the person, but do your best and take breaks when you need too :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi @James

Agreeing with Bubbles here, don't give up! You can do it!

I believe if you book an appointment with your Doctor, they would be most interested in mentoring you later. It's deffs worth asking because any GP's surgeries like helping medical students get a leg-up even if they're still at school. Training students to become doctors is very welcomed, so even if you book monthly visits with your doctor to discuss your school progress.

In the past when I was about 16, I found Study Guides & Strategies very useful: http://www.studygs.net/timman.htm My younger sisters use the it for creating to-do lists/study-learning/Thinking-memorizing - Test Preparation/Writing, spelling & vocab etc in the left-hand column and it's very comprehensive.

I use it to help my online Horticultural degree course, but used this guide to aid me during previous studies with the RHA (Royal Horticultural Association) taking advance pre-degree courses to where I am presently.

Also https://www.ted.com/talks for instructional videos on hundreds of topics including Biology, Science, Chemistry etc, the Topics list is enormous so please save it to your computer.

Stay with TheMix they are so helpful and supportive. I'm making many super friends here.

Julie
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Princesa wrote: »
    Also https://www.ted.com/talks for instructional videos on hundreds of topics including Biology, Science, Chemistry etc, the Topics list is enormous so please save it to your computer.

Stay with TheMix they are so helpful and supportive. I'm making many super friends here.

Thanks for the link!
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    James_ wrote: »
    I've recently realised that the only career that would interest me and that i'd love would be being a doctor. The problem is that it's apparently virtually impossible to become one (which is kinda weird because NHS complain that they dont have enough) and at the moment im in year 11 and got my gcses in May. I got mocks in January but i have to submit my a level options in 3 weeks and i just feel like there's too much revision and shit that i have to do to get really high grades. I've spent most of my afternoon making flashcards for chemistry but it has felt like i haven't made any progress. Also we get so much homework that it's hard to fit in anything else (i got to write up 11 pages for History due Thursday as an example). Also i've only been using the revision guide so far for science but my teacher then said that they aren't any good, has anyone solely used these and got good grades?
    To sum it up, because i probably wrote too much, basically can anyone give advise on how much time i should spend a night revising in order to get all 'a*'s and 'a's. Also are flashcards not detailed enough for revision notes?
    If anyone can take their time to reply i'd be really grateful
    Thanks!

Hi there!

First of all, you're absolutely right. The NHS doesn't have enough staff at the moment, but they've kept the grades high because the professional involves dealing with lives, so they want and need the best of the best. Having said that, there are reports that medicinal places have begun to appear in clearing.

I think the key is to use a variety of revision methods that you like. In my case, I liked more traditional methods like note-taking and condensing, but I also liked to be more creative and use mind maps or recite my notes and memorise them. Doing the same thing again and again will get boring, so be sure to use different methods of revision. For example, it may more sense to use theories on mindmaps, and definitions on flashcards. Whatever you decide to do, I would start as soon as you can. Starting earlier allows you to revise better rather than having to cram one week before the exam, as well as helping you to identify your weaker areas and spend more time on them.

I could go on for days about this, so I'll stop for now haha, but if you'd like to discuss it more, I'd be happy to - just drop me a PMx

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • James_James_ Posts: 21 Boards Initiate
    Thanks so much everyone, i'll try to ask one of my parent's friends who are doctors and revise using a range of methods. Hopefully i'll get there!