Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Life

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
I am one of the lucky ones.

I know what i want to do with my life in terms of a career of which im already studying towards, I have no job worries to worry about, i have an amazing group of friends comprising of people from this community, an amazing boyfriend, friends who ive kept from school/College, people i have met through voluntary work and through the blogging community as a mental health blogger. I have had incredible opportunities and still continue to do so till this very day, i have been in newspapers, on TV and the radio - i have met some incredible and very high profile people from the prime minister, Jeremy Hunt to the young royals and yet....

i still feel so alone, i feel so depressed, it's like something is missing from my life and i can't pin point what that is. Maybe that is just what my depression is doing to me but maybe not. I don't know.
''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 634 Incredible Poster
    Hey Jess (love the fact that you are studying to become a counsellor- I'm thinking of doing that too!)

​Depression is a tricky thing. Sometimes there may be factors that increase the risk of getting depression such as lack of support, money worries, not knowing what to do in life etc., and other times we can have all these things and no/very little worries, and yet still feel depressed and alone. Depression can be a chemical imbalance in the brain so even if things are going well for you, it's still possible to be depressed. And this is true for others that experience mental health issues as well- anyone can experience mental health issues regardless of how 'good' their life may be or how 'lucky' they are.

​Another thing that I have found to make us feel more alone, is if we tend to 'put on a brave face' and not let others know that we aren't really that happy right now. Also, feeling like we should be happy can also make us feel worse- we know things are going well, but we don't feel happy and instead feel that we should be happy. But the truth is there is no right or wrong way to feel. Just accepting that you are feeling depressed and alone at the moment, and perhaps find ways of feeling less alone (and not forcing yourself to try to be happy) can help a bit.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Hello @Maisy thank you for the advice/post above. I really suggest you start a counselling course because they are great, but of course it's up to you.

Just feeling so lost.
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,313 Part of The Furniture
    Maisy wrote: »
    Hey Jess (love the fact that you are studying to become a counsellor- I'm thinking of doing that too!)

​Depression is a tricky thing. Sometimes there may be factors that increase the risk of getting depression such as lack of support, money worries, not knowing what to do in life etc., and other times we can have all these things and no/very little worries, and yet still feel depressed and alone. Depression can be a chemical imbalance in the brain so even if things are going well for you, it's still possible to be depressed. And this is true for others that experience mental health issues as well- anyone can experience mental health issues regardless of how 'good' their life may be or how 'lucky' they are.

​Another thing that I have found to make us feel more alone, is if we tend to 'put on a brave face' and not let others know that we aren't really that happy right now. Also, feeling like we should be happy can also make us feel worse- we know things are going well, but we don't feel happy and instead feel that we should be happy. But the truth is there is no right or wrong way to feel. Just accepting that you are feeling depressed and alone at the moment, and perhaps find ways of feeling less alone (and not forcing yourself to try to be happy) can help a bit.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I think Maisy said it perfectly - allowing ourselves to feel the way we feel is often half the battle. Emotions don't always listen to reason and logic.

I don't have anything to add except that you know we're here if you need us. *hug*
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    Hey!
    I agree with maisy

But i just wanted to add these
    even though you cant pin point why you feel this way. They are still valid. I used to think this few years ago when i knew what was doing and had friends and was told - i am trying to find happinesses from things around me and the Outside. When happy life doesnt mean youre happy. And is something that comes from within Inside you. Maybe something stopping you from being completely happy, either in past or soemthing that youre missing or simply chemical imblance. And anti depressants can really help people with that

But we cant always expect to find happiness in thingsCan still feel sad. Can still have depression. But happiness can take a while. Happiness is internal yet can be made to believe it is external. And i was thinking that no matter what happens will never be happy but not true and when think like that we are consumed in negativity, makes everything more darker and get disappointed

And when you do things you have achieved through out the day or life actknowdge it more and be very mindful and proud of what you are achiveing
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley