Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How to word this on a cv

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 595 Incredible Poster
Hi guys so I'm thinking my cv is in need of a good update.

I'm a nursery support worke who works with a child who has additional needs. So I sorta work in the SEN category (special educational needs)

There's nothing I hate more then when someone refers to a child as a sen child.

No child should have a label!!! its should be a child who has additional needs or a child who has a sensory impairment. I have always stood by the saying of "disabilitys and learning difficulties is not a lable!"

So, how can I word this on a cv so that they can see at a glance that I have experience in SEN. Can I put "I have had experience with children who have additional needs."
Or do I need to mention SEN.

I'm just curious as a friend who works in a different nursery said it will make it more clear to put "I work with SEN children"

But I hate the terminology of it!


  • DreaDrea Posts: 292 The Mix Regular
    Hi One-in-a-million,

    Completely see what you mean! And you're actually not wrong in saying that is isn't the best thing to say! I study psychology and one of our lecturers actually mentioned that it is best to not label someone as something but rather as suffering with something. That way you divide the 'disability' or 'issue' from the individual as opposed to seeing labelling the person as its issue or disability. What Aidan said seems pretty good! You could always say 'I work with children who suffer from SEN', that way you maintain who they are but just mention that they are faced with something they happen to have. Hope this helps, and well done for thinking so sensitively about these things! It's a great step to reducing stigmatisation!

    Have a great day,
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 531 Incredible Poster
    Not sure if this is still relevant, but I think wording it as 'working with a child who has additional needs' is fine. SEN is the most common term but I've also seen additional needs being used quite frequently too.

    Anyway, totally agree with not labelling though :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email [email protected] with questions or concerns.
  • One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 595 Incredible Poster
    Hey guys sorry I never replied :o

    Aidan- It's quite difficult when doing this I've always been told to spearate the condition or disability from the name. We sometimes have to talk about conditions and disabilities. Sane as my CV, if I went to a job to work with children with a disability they would want me to show thatbin a CV. I always feel like I wouldn't want someone to call me an epileptic person or a dyslexic person. Because It almost sounds like I'm a different species so I prefer a person "with" or "that has". I do get what you mean tho :)

    Thank you for your advice Drea and maisy. I've asked advice and been told saying
    "Working 1-2-1 with additional need" is fine
Sign In or Register to comment.