Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Buying prescription drugs without a prescription

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to the page below, it is illegal to buy prescription drugs without a prescription:
http://www.themix.org.uk/drink-and-d...line-9592.html

However I can't find anywhere else that makes this claim. Its an offence to sell P drugs without a prescription, but not to buy them unless they are a controlled medicine e.g. morphine.

Anyone know if it is legal or not?

Comments

• MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Whether or not it's illegal to buy, I would imagine that it wouldn't be safe to buy from a seller (because P drugs are illegal to sell without a prescription as they should be taken under supervision of a doctor or pharmacist).
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well I think there are doctors that could help you get them if you think you really need Morphine, if you just consulted a doctor he would help you get the or even prescribe the specific drug that you actually need.

Regards,
    Gustavo Woltmann
    Hey Jack

I agree with the other poster, I would be really concerned about medicines sold online. If it was legal , you still wouldn't know exactly what the medications contained, or if they were legitimate, the dosage could be totally wrong (there is no way of knowing what is in anything you're buying) .. it's just a huge gamble and quite dangerous . Unfortunately there are so many people who create fake medicines and sell them and quite a staggering number of these medications contain toxic substances that could really make you unwell. There is no way of knowing what is in a medicine if it's not prescribed and given to you by the Pharmacy.

As far as i'm aware, I think it is illegal to give another person meds that are prescribed for you,
    as for purchasing them, if it's a controlled medication then that would be illegal too, for sure. (Most painkillers are now labelled as controlled medicines) but if it's an over the counter medicine then not illegal (ie- Paracetamol, ibuprofen)

Some medicines can be prescribed by a pharmacist but they are OTC (over the counter) meds
    Besides that, I'd definitely say your doctor would be the best person to talk to.. I know some doctors are better at understanding than others but remember if you're not happy with your treatment you always have the right to change GP in the uk :)

I hope that helps a little bit :)

Take care!

Sam
    Samantha3 wrote: »
    Some medicines can be prescribed by a pharmacist but they are OTC (over the counter) meds

I was really surprised by this. I was given a PRN a while back and later on the line I was in a position where I needed the particular drug again, it was such a hassle getting them in the first place I went went to the pharmacy to avoid the ordeal. I found that pharmacists wanted a prescription slip whilst others did not despite it being OTC.

v

I was really surprised by this. I was given a PRN a while back and later on the line I was in a position where I needed the particular drug again, it was such a hassle getting them in the first place I went went to the pharmacy to avoid the ordeal. I found that pharmacists wanted a prescription slip whilst others did not despite it being OTC.

v

Interesting isn't it! I wonder if it's anything to do with Dosages? I know for example that you can buy Codeine 8/500 over the counter but if it's above 8mg it's for prescription only. Maybe that's it? :)

Sometimes it can be a challenge to get Night Nurse over the counter in Boots! I wonder how it works.

Sam
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    I'm pretty sure it is to do with dosage/strength. For eczema, you can buy hydrocortisone 1% cream but if you want a higher strength, it has to be on prescription.

​They also have rules on selling OTC things too. I remember I was in a pound shop with my mum (who works in a pharmacy) and there was a deal on, something like 3 boxes of paracetamol for £1. And my mum said that's not allowed since the maximum should be 2 boxes. I think it helps prevent people from overdosing.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Hey @JackP93
    Although I can't find information saying its strictly illegal to buy, it is however illegal to sell if the person / company selling isn't registered.
    Like others in this topic has said, buying from a seller and not having them prescribed could be a major health risk. Main reasons for this is due to having the wrong dose, having medication which may do your body more harm then good even if you think it would help, or worse things like out-of-date medication that has been re-boxed, medication that may be defected or not even being the correct item.

Its not unknown for non-registered sellers to saying they are selling medication A when infact its a mix between Medication B and C.

If you truely feel the medication you want to buy is best for you, I strongly urge you to talk to a doctor first.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch