Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What makes the perfect present for your partner?

Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
Christmas has the potential to be a fantastic time, but it can also be incredibly stressful when it comes to finding the perfect present for the significant people in our lives. How much do you spend…will this be more or less than them…how do I find out what they want without being obvious…how do I make sure no one else gets it for them…the list is endless!! :banghead:

I thought it would be a good idea to get a thread going to create a collective guide to finding the perfect present. We have dug up some research on the topic to get the ball rolling:
  • Something you can do together – not only does this give you some great memories and show how much you know them, it also reduces the social comparison element of presents because it’s something different! :yippe:
  • Make it personal – why not get something that reminds them of a happy memory you share, this highlights the bond you have as a couple! :)
What I want to know from you guys is what makes the perfect present for your boyfriend/girlfriend? Do you go all out for the extravagant gesture, or do you find the personal touch works best? Perhaps if you are unsure, have a think back to the best present you have got from a partner and think about what made it special! Let us know below :yes:

christmas-shopping_o_997698.jpg
FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought this said 'what makes you the perfect present for your partner, So I was all ready to put some cocky answer "Because I don't have a willy Duh" Then realized I'd read it wrong...My bad *Hangs head in shame*
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I usually go for something personalised for at least part of it - I prefer to make something they will love instead of just spending money aimlessly on things they may or may not like. This year I've gone for more bought gifts because I have had less time and tbh it's been a lot more stressful! In the past I've made photo frames and memory boxes which she has up in her flat and it's quite cute.... but just my opinion!
  • Options
    I'm definitely one for personalisation too, though that often means a rubbish mousemat or jigsaw of our faces. This year I commissioned an artist friend to create a portrait of my boyfriend's dog, which I'm so excited to give him!

Away from personal presents, though, I often just ask him what he needs. So much easier.
  • Options
    @Redhead ha! I guess that would have been a valid answer to the first way you read the question! Do you have any thoughts about what makes the perfect present for your bf/gf? Does such a thing even exist?

@plugitin That sounds like some fantastic presents, and quite clearly she values these presents so good job :yippe: I guess these types of gifts can Can appreciate though that these can take a lot of time and planning which isn't always easy to find, doesn't mean though that the gifts can't be just as special...what have you gone for gifts wise and how do you decide what to choose?

@hiyalouise I'm not sure if I could cope with my face broken up into a jigsaw although personalisation is definitely a great way of showing someone you care and know them! The portrait sounds amazing! :yes:

Practical presents can also be good, being able to ask someone can demonstrate great communication skills and being comfortable with each other!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    My partner created a storybook type album for me as an anniversary gift with photos of our memories and quoting our texts from when we first started talking! I loved this idea and the quotes gave it that extra personal touch :heart:

I personally also like the idea of engraved gifts with a short and sweet message :)
  • Options
    @raich, are you my boyfriend?! That's exactly what I did for mine for our first anniversary in 2014! How funny. Obviously a great idea ;)
  • Options
    @hiyalouise Haha! :lol: I didn't expect that at all from him! He's not usually sentimental so it was a lovely surprise :eek:
  • Options
    Edward8 wrote: »
    @plugitin That sounds like some fantastic presents, and quite clearly she values these presents so good job :yippe: I guess these types of gifts can Can appreciate though that these can take a lot of time and planning which isn't always easy to find, doesn't mean though that the gifts can't be just as special...what have you gone for gifts wise and how do you decide what to choose?

I have a fiddle toy, a belt and a book (the latter two she requested). For her birthday (just after Christmas) I've tried to use my imagination more - I have a scratch-off world map so she can scratch off countries as she ticks them off, and some chocolate from Germany she likes!
  • Options
    Sounds like a really nice set of gifts @plugitin :) you are definitely far more prepared than me!! To me it seems like a good mix of gifts that can remind you both of memories together as well as you showing her how much you know her. :thumb: I particularly like the world map - are these things you can scratch off together?

• Options
    Sounds like a really nice set of gifts [USER="44074"]plugitin[/USER] :) you are definitely far more prepared than me!! To me it seems like a good mix of gifts that can remind you both of memories together as well as you showing her how much you know her. :thumb: I particularly like the world map - are these things you can scratch off together?

She's a lot better travelled than me so there will be a few we've done together but not many.
    I know a few couples who do theirs solely based on countries they've been to together, though.
  • Options
    Still sounds really cool, whichever way you do it though @plugitin :yippe: a really thoughtful present and a nice way of reminding people of some great memories!

• Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I know it's a bit late, but found this link I thought I'd share it-

They used money but maybe you could put something special inside or even just a note .....

http://tiphero.com/secret-candy-jar-gift/
  • Options
    It's never too late @apandav that's a really thoughtful idea and I like how you have modified it from money to something special...that can really help to show people we are close to that we care!

• Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    It's never too late @apandav that's a really thoughtful idea and I like how you have modified it from money to something special...that can really help to show people we are close to that we care!

Never tried it, just saw it this morning and thought it looks like a cool idea :)

There's actually quite a lot of crafty things out there, good if your looking for a special gift on a limited budget. Additionally what ever you create will be unique.
  • Options
    There is definitely something special about giving someone something unique and as you say @apandav, this can be win-win if you have a limited budget! :yippe: These type of gifts can show someone how well you know them and definitely shows caring too :yes: