Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Half of them

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by legal junkie

fast food, fast cars, chemicals to have a good time, anti-ageing creams, rock stars, pop stars, skeletal models, mobile phones.

makes me sick.
    I agree with you its a totally sick world, and its getting sicker by the minunte. The only 2 things outa your list I dont like are pop stars and skeletal models. There are much much sicker things in the world to me, though than these, so I can live with these. Whilst the world has different opinions, theres always gonna be things that are good for some bad for others.
  • Options
    "Nostalgia is that last refuge for the fool" I cant remember who said that though.

Legal Junkie; When was the world a better place then? were you around then?
    Contary to public belief Britain is a safer place to live now than it was, the crime rate has been dropping for several years now and social condictions are improving for many. The econony here is growing faster than virtualy anywhere in the world.

I'm not saying its perfect though, but it NEVER was.
  • Options
    On the hobbies comment, I know quite a few people who do Class A's, and they aren't just your washed up people who sit around all day and have no job/life/hobbies etc. Theyre the students who get A's in their exams, and just use them as a way to help tem have fun at the weekend, to get away from stress and help them have a good time. When they go out and are smoking crack in a private place, with close friends, disregarding the fact that its against the law here, who really cares that much? I know I sound a bit NIMBY here, but drug users arent all delinquents. And im part of the 10% who have never done cannabis. Just so you know.:p
  • Options
    Well I would suggest that crack is a slightly different case than most class A drugs but I would aggree with you that most drug users are just the same as everyone else, they work, have normal relationships, they just choose a different tipple than most.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    ooh i'll let you off then, only cos its you :p

thanks, i knew you weren't all bad :p
  • Options
    if you ask me, it's society's fault.

we live in a sad sick world, and i think the use of drugs reflects that. we don't enjoy the simple pleasures anymore.

fast food, fast cars, chemicals to have a good time, anti-ageing creams, rock stars, pop stars, skeletal models, mobile phones.

makes me sick.

it's the age we live in and it will get worse and worse or is that better and better?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kurt
    It doesn't harm anyone

I'm all for people saying what they think, but statements like this are just bollocks.

As bongbudda says there has been research showing cannabis use is stongly linked to mental health problems. Cannabis use reduces cognitive function. What about deaths caused by drug driving.

I have worked with people (in a drug treatment agency) who have massive problems with cannabis use and the harm it has casued is very apparent.

Okay cannabis users tend not to behave in a similar way to crack users but cannabis can and does casue problems.

smoking kills - we all know that

I am not against people smoking/smoking cannabis, but because of statements like "it never harms anyone" people end up thinking it is okay and safe for everyone when it clearly isn't. Kids need proper drugs education not experienced users going, yeah its fine and doesn't cause any problems.

finally I think the lethal dose of cannabis is about

25 kilo dropped on your head from the second floor
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    thanks, i knew you weren't all bad :p
    so you must think a part of me is bad then??:D
  • Options
    Is it me, or is there a growing trend on here where people are disrespecting people because they don't want to try illegal drugs. It's their choice to not, as much as it is your choice to. But saying they are sad because they don't smoke weed is unfair.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    "Nostalgia is that last refuge for the fool" I cant remember who said that though.

Legal Junkie; When was the world a better place then? were you around then?
    Contary to public belief Britain is a safer place to live now than it was, the crime rate has been dropping for several years now and social condictions are improving for many. The econony here is growing faster than virtualy anywhere in the world.

I'm not saying its perfect though, but it NEVER was.

i wasn't being nostalgic.

i was just pointing our how awful the world is.

has always been awful, in some ways or other.
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    Don't be pathetic.

Don't be so shitty.

You talk about your mother loving you and you loving her, I'm very happy for you, but what about the discipline? How did she discipline you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Don't be so shitty.

You talk about your mother loving you and you loving her, I'm very happy for you, but what about the discipline? How did she discipline you?

Thankyou, I'm very happy about it all too.

I remember in my childhood, an old abandoned mill across the canal which was actually very dangerous. When she found out we'd been going up there and smashing the windows etc etc, she warned me not to go up there again. So when she found out I had been up there, she sat me down, had a long talk, and I can't remember what she said but it sure as hell taught me not to cross her.
    To be honest this has nothing to do with how my mother disciplined me. Sure, drugs are a taboo. But still I go to college, I get some of the best grades in my form, and I'm performing above my predicted grades in all subjects.
    My one downfall, as I'm sure you would see it, is I like to go out at the weekend and get absolutely trashed. So what? It's my decision. If I blamed my mother, that would be nothing more than a scapegoat for my own "stupid" behavoiur. It's my body, i'll use it as I see fit.
    I think it was Shogun who asked, yes my mother know of all the drugs I've used, I've been honest with her, and although she wasn't very happy, she can't do anything about it, because she realises, like any level-headed adult, that it's my decision, and she can't stop me.
    Don't go by the stereotype, just because I like to use class A's from time to time, doesn't mean I'm the kind of person to stab you and run off with your bag, or indeed make me a bad person at all. I've managed perfectly fine for a while now, maintaining my life, my relationships, my education, all while having the luxury of going out every Friday/Saturday and getting leathered.
    Think what you may, but me? I'm enjoying every minute of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    so you must think a part of me is bad then??:D

maybe at night time :naughty:

doc horatio; i've never tried to pressure anyone into taking weed, it's something they do or they don't, sure there has been at least 1 mate there some of the time when we are out smoking and he gets it passed to him and he dosen't take it, that's it, nobody says ah go on, take a toke...it is a persons choice to try it yes.
  • Options
    z0ma; do you not use any drugs at all during the week? just every Friday and Saturday night.
  • Options
    if you ask me, it's society's fault.

we live in a sad sick world, and i think the use of drugs reflects that. we don't enjoy the simple pleasures anymore.

the simple pleasure of taking cannabis has been with every society on earth for thousands of years! the victorians consumed (legaly) more then than we do now. even queen victoria was a heavy cannabis smoker so what are you trying to say?
  • Options
    Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Analysis of Studies Finds Little Effect From Long-Term Use
    By Sid Kirchheimer
    Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
    on Tuesday, July 01, 2003
    WebMD Medical News

July 1, 2003 -- Long-term and even daily marijuana use doesn't appear to cause permanent brain damage, adding to evidence that it can be a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, say researchers.

The researchers found only a "very small" impairment in memory and learning among long-term marijuana users. Otherwise, scores on thinking tests were similar to those who don't smoke marijuana, according to a new analysis of 15 previous studies.

In those studies, some 700 regular marijuana users were compared with 484 non-users on various aspects of brain function -- including reaction time, language and motor skills, reasoning ability, memory, and the ability to learn new information.

Surprising Finding

"We were somewhat surprised by our finding, especially since there's been a controversy for some years on whether long-term cannabis use causes brain damage," says lead researcher and psychiatrist Igor Grant, MD.

"I suppose we expected to see some differences in people who were heavy users, but in fact the differences were very minimal."

The marijuana users in those 15 studies -- which lasted between three months to more than 13 years -- had smoked marijuana several times a week or month or daily. Still, researchers say impairments were less than what is typically found from using alcohol or other drugs.

"All study participants were adults," says Grant, professor of psychiatry and director of the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.

"However, there might be a different set of circumstances to a 12-year-old whose nervous system is still developing."
  • Options
    z0ma; do you not use any drugs at all during the week? just every Friday and Saturday night.

I smoke occasionally during the week but recently haven't been as into it as I was before. Drink occasionally too, but not that often at all.

Only use class A's at the weekend, wouldn't even think of touching them during the week, unless I was going out to a club/party.

What about you? :cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the simple pleasure of taking cannabis has been with every society on earth for thousands of years! the victorians consumed (legaly) more then than we do now. even queen victoria was a heavy cannabis smoker so what are you trying to say?

it's not people smoking weed that gets to me. i don't mind it as long as they understand that i also have a choice not to do it and it's not cause i'm 'boring'.

it's harder drugs that get to me.

weed is, IMO, less offensive than alcohol.

although i read somewhere that the tar from cannabis smoke is 3 times more carcinogenic than tobacco smoke. don't know if that's true.
  • Options
    I have no objections to most non-drug users, same as I have no objections to most drug users.

I think all of us cannabis smokers knows what happens if you smoke too much, the classic stonner image is based on fact. But I'm preaty sure that for virtualy everyone the effects are short-term.

Kaffrin; 'harder' drugs? Which ones, its all a matter of legal distiction rather than actual chemical possible harm. Lets compare methampetamine with dried mushrooms for example, ones class B and one A.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Kaffrin; 'harder' drugs? Which ones, its all a matter of legal distiction rather than actual chemical possible harm. Lets compare methampetamine with dried mushrooms for example, ones class B and one A.

i think there is possible harm from any drug use.

i've been on some prescription drugs that list side effects like 'cardiac arrest' and 'sudden death'. and they are taken in tiny dosages and under extremely controlled circumstances.

as far as i'm concerned, people can do whichever drugs they choose, long as they don't come crying when their liver fails or they get brain damage. cause that REALLY pisses me off.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I can see your point though, yes all drug use has the potencial for harm, and obviously if any of us druggies put ourselves in hospital then we all pay for it.

Methampetamine is class B and the other A by the way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    I smoke occasionally during the week but recently haven't been as into it as I was before. Drink occasionally too, but not that often at all.

Only use class A's at the weekend, wouldn't even think of touching them during the week, unless I was going out to a club/party.

What about you? :cool:

I smoke every other day, now for the past week every day but after the weekend im only going to smoke 2 nights a week, need to save up some money.I drink occasionally,once every 2 weeks or so, haven't tried anything else but hopefully i will be trying truffles next week.

What class A's do you use?
  • Options
    I smoke every other day, now for the past week every day but after the weekend im only going to smoke 3 nights a week, need to save up some money.I drink occasionally,once every 2 weeks or so, haven't tried anything else but hopefully i will be trying truffles next week.

What class A's do you use?
  • Options
    HunnyPot - There's a huge difference between recreational drug use with friends and a whole range of other things I would largely blame parents for, like general discourtesy, vandalism, violence, threatening behavior in public etc.

I had what I would call a sheltered upbringing - perhaps not ideal, but much preferable to the opposite, and I consider myself to be well-mannered, considerate, intelligent and mature. I also smoke cannabis regularly when I get the chance (mostly at uni).

For one thing, why does this have to be anyone's fault ? Secondly, why my parents'? I'm not harming anyone, and I would argue it's preferable to getting beered up and annoying people who are in a bar trying to have a quiet drink.

We are programmed to view drug use of any kind (apart from alcohol and tobacco) as wrong. Free yourself fromn these shackles and look at it again.
  • Options
    Shit, I just re-read that and realised I did my parents a massive disservice. I had a fantastic, loving childhood. Just to set the record straight. Sorry.
  • Options
    . Free yourself fromn these shackles and look at it again.

:yes: :yes: