Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

British Army

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should the British army be allowed into Northern Ireland, should there be a united Ireland?

I personally think that life now in N.Ireland would be much better than life in a united ireland but saying that it would never exist, too much shooting, no side of the wall can agree on any matter, it's just a matter of time till the whole thing goes up in smoke again, troubles back again but only this time to a more higher lethal degree.

If there was a united ireland everywhere would have to pay for some things that people in N.ireland get now for free, i say just keep it this way but i don't think the British army have the right to roam the streets like they own the place.

Comments

• Options
    Here's a thought,

In order to bring harmony to the whole of Ireland and facilitate a unifcation of North with the Republic, just forge an agreement that outlaws all religious practice! Make the Island atheist, deport all catholic and protestant denominational leaders and voila, no more cause but sheer murderous bloodlust to claim for a pretext to violence! ;)

Besides who wouldnt be keen to see Ian Paisley shipped out in a locked crate!
  • Options
    The Army are there to simply keep the peace. OK, yes the Nationalists may resent (or have resented) their presence, but I think their presence is necessary.
  • Options
    of course the British Army have a right to be their as Northern Ireland is a part of the UK.
    I don't understand why this crap about protestants & catholics, is still going on both are almost the same religion and both christianity.
  • Options
    The 'crap' goes on due to historical reasons. Northern Ireland remained British (when the Republic of Ireland was formed) because the six counties of Ulster had a majority Protestant population.
  • Options
    Its always been little more than a pretext, dan. The simple underlying root causes of the violence is the history of colonisation itself and prolonged hatred.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    The Army are there to simply keep the peace. OK, yes the Nationalists may resent (or have resented) their presence, but I think their presence is necessary.

simply there to keep the peace, that is hardly right it is...do you live in N.Ireland, have you ever lived there before?
  • Options
    Have you?

The British Army were first sent there to keep the peace. Do you dispute that?
  • Options
    Personally, I think Northern Ireland should be reunited with the Republic. Also no I don't think the British Army should be allowed to patrol the streets in Northern Ireland - whenever we have riots or trouble on the mainland we use the local police force and that's what should happen in Northern Ireland. Bolster up the Northern Ireland Police Service and let them keep law and order just as we would any other police force in the UK. Especially as the British Army is far from clean of blood on its hands as Bloody Sunday and the continued trouble between the local population (Nationalists especially) and the army shows.

However, it's unlikely to happen for several decades so for the moment I would propose joint sovereignty over Northern Ireland. First off I'd ban the current Northern Ireland parties and have most of Northern Ireland's affairs run by the Northern Ireland assembly which would be made up of voters having the choice between all British parties and all the Irish parties so they could vote for whoever would best reflect their views and importantly take the religion out of politics. Interest rates would be set at a level half way between the Bank of England rate and the ECB rate. Foreign Affairs concerning the province would be dealt with by a compromise between the British and Irish governments and if they couldn't agree the Northern Ireland Assembly would have the casting vote about who would represent them. Also there need to be more measures to integrate the two communities - firstly by making all schools mixed of the two communities and banning religious education.
  • Options
    Have you?

I don't think Henry VIII invaded Ireland to keep the peace Mono. :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85

Well Britain didn't exist at the time of the Tudors.

I meant the decision of the Wilson governments of the 60's to send troops there.
  • Options
    Well Britain didn't exist at the time of the Tudors.

I meant the decision of the Wilson governments of the 60's to send troops there.

Maybe Wilson did think he was keeping the peace, however Heath I think certainly had no intentions of keeping the peace and used the army to back the Protestants - he beefed up the numbers of personnel in Northern Ireland increasing tensions and allowed the Bloody Sunday massacre to occur.
  • Options

Get with the times & get over bloody sunday, that was 30 years ago so there is no point blaming today's army.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    Get with the times & get over bloody sunday, that was 30 years ago so there is no point blaming today's army.

By the fact that they are the British army they will always be a problem in Northern Ireland. Even if governments don't use the army as a tool for the Protestants (like they have in the past) by being British they automatically invite hostility between them and the Nationalists and so they shouldn't be there. Also Bloody Sunday casts a very long shadow over Northern Ireland to this day, ask any Nationalist.
  • Options
    Historically, Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

But so many deaths...I just don't see the worth. Of course, someone could say that's like allowing one of our states to leave. All I can think is separation of church and state. The killings are a good example of why the Englishmen who founded America had that idea put in the constitution.
  • Options
    Northern Ireland remained British primarily because Protestants/Unionists are in the majority.

The problems in Ireland are all Edward I's fault. :)
  • Options
    Northern Ireland remained British primarily because Protestants/Unionists are in the majority.

The problems in Ireland are all Edward I's fault. :)

Although the Protestants and Unionists came over to Northern Ireland from Scotland whereas the Catholics and Nationalists are the indogenous population of all of Ireland.

I blame the English establishment with its anti-Catholic attitudes myself - especially it's removal of James II because he was Catholic and his replacement with Protestant William and Mary of Orange.
  • Options
    Have you?

Yes i have all my life...sent here to keep the peace :rolleyes: yes i do dispute that.

They came here to remove IRA members, if they didn't come here in the first place there wouldn't be as much fighting, walking around the streets acting like they own the place, searching random people, taking people out of their homes in the middle of the night and given no trail or any decent human rights because they were suspected members of the IRA, what a sad thing to do, familys were destroyed, the brits attacked innocent people on the streets who got caught in crossfire with gunfire. America go on about terrorism, N.Ireland has had it in it's fullest degree for 30 years.
  • Options
    now wouldnt it just be better to disband the british army and become a neutral country?
  • Options
    Originally posted by fucked up duck
    now wouldnt it just be better to disband the british army and become a neutral country?

*sigh* there would still be problems in N.Ireland with Catholic and Protestant paramilitary groups...is it ever going to change?
  • Options
    you cannot simply take N.Ireland out of the UK because that would be betraying a lot of Northern Irish who like thing the way they are. If 99% wanted out then that's fine, but that will probably never be the case.
  • Options
    it seems to go on forever. no one here on the uk mainland actualy takes much notice anymore when a bomb goes off or a shooting happens. we have been desenstized. its become 'normal'. no one here realy understands it or cares very much.
    when grown men strt barricading and or attacking schools it seems a bit sad and sick and then we get the marching season which is totaly beyond my comprehension! demanding to march through an area where they no it's going to cause trouble ...just becuase someone marched down it generations ago ...very strange.
  • Options
    Yes mroll you are right, it will always go on and on and on and on and on.....orange men want to march down a Nationlist area when they know they don't have the right, it's all going to go up in smoke again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    you cannot simply take N.Ireland out of the UK because that would be betraying a lot of Northern Irish who like thing the way they are. If 99% wanted out then that's fine, but that will probably never be the case.

We gave Hong Kong back to China when a large majority of Hong Kong residents were in favour of remaining a UK dependency but we got out anyway. Tbh if you asked most British mainland people whether they'd rather have Northern Ireland in the UK and remain at risk from Irish terrorism or let it reunite with the Republic and remove the risk of terrorism most people would pick the latter. Also most British people on the mainland are in favour of a united Ireland anyway and if the Protestants wanted to live in the UK so much they could always move onto the mainland just as we gave right of residency to those in Hong Kong who wanted to live in Britain.
  • Options
    But the UK had a contractual obligation to give Hong Kong back. That's not the case in Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Originally posted by fucked up duck
    Yeh Neutralise its the best option no more innocent soldiers dying in fruitless wars.
  • Options

This would be the 12th century Henry VIII would it? :p

The English had already invaded by the time Henry got involved.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    This would be the 12th century Henry VIII would it? :p

The English had already invaded by the time Henry got involved.

Yes but we only conquered Ireland after Henry VIII was determined to conquer Ireland. We'd invaded before but never established our ownership of the territory.
  • Options
    But the UK had a contractual obligation to give Hong Kong back. That's not the case in Northern Ireland.

We only had a contractual obligation when Mrs Thatcher decided to lease Hong Kong from the Chinese between 1984-1997.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun

They came here to remove IRA members,

Are you sure?

The current troubles began after the UK forces were sent in to defend the Catholics from the Black and Tans...
  • Options
    We only had a contractual obligation when Mrs Thatcher decided to lease Hong Kong from the Chinese between 1984-1997.
    we got the honk kong leese through opium dealing in victorian times ...where does mrs hatchit come into it?