Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

British Army

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kevlar85 who says that most British people want N.I to go back to Ireland? I don't, it wouldn't bother me that much but I like Britain the way it is. Hong Kong is a completly different, it's miles away, it doesn't have centuries of assoiciation, the same culture etc etc. You couldn't just unite NI but with Eire anyway, they've been apart for 80 odd years.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Are you sure?

The current troubles began after the UK forces were sent in to defend the Catholics from the Black and Tans...

And the Uk forces defended the catholics, did they? well maybe they weren't as bad as the black and tans...but still it was pretty obivous they were in favour of the protestant side of the community, i've seen it happening.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    we got the honk kong leese through opium dealing in victorian times ...where does mrs hatchit come into it?

Because in 1984 she agreed to hand Hong Kong back in 1997 to what is it's main country - China. So similarly we should hand Northern Ireland back to its main country - Ireland.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    kevlar85 who says that most British people want N.I to go back to Ireland? I don't, it wouldn't bother me that much but I like Britain the way it is. Hong Kong is a completly different, it's miles away, it doesn't have centuries of assoiciation, the same culture etc etc. You couldn't just unite NI but with Eire anyway, they've been apart for 80 odd years.

Opinion polls say that 60% of Britons back a united Ireland and of the remaining 40% a large proportion were of no opinion either way. Also a large majority of people in the Irish Republic want Northern Ireland to return to them, indeed it was in their constitution until not so long ago (removed as part of the Good Friday agreement) and is still the view of most Irish people.

The centuries of association have been miserable for all concerned marked by almost continual violence by the British repressing the Irish on the one side and Irish terrorism on the other. Ireland doesn't have the same culture, it has it's own distinct Celtic culture and its own language. You couldn't unite them overnight but it could be phased in over a decade or so like with Hong Kong.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    We only had a contractual obligation when Mrs Thatcher decided to lease Hong Kong from the Chinese between 1984-1997.

The lease had existed since the 19th century.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    The lease had existed since the 19th century.

Point is we handed back a British dependency to its natural country. So just as Hong Kong went back to China so Northern Ireland should be reunited with the Irish Republic.
  • Options
    They couldn't just hand N.Ireland back over...it would be too much of a hassle, just think about it, the political system for a start, most normal everyday people in N.Ireland have a good standard of living and if they were joined with the Republic they would be paying for NHS treatment and dentist bills and stuff of the sort, life here in the north is better than in the South.
  • Options
    the clue is in the title:

northern IRELAND

if the british believed that they had any true claim to a 6 county state over an ocean, then the UK's offical title wouldnt be "The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" itd still be called britain.

The scottish protestants that were sent to northern ireland in the nineteenth century are the root of the more modern problems, if it wasnt for that, i think Ireland would be a happier, less oppressed place :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    They couldn't just hand N.Ireland back over...it would be too much of a hassle, just think about it, the political system for a start, most normal everyday people in N.Ireland have a good standard of living and if they were joined with the Republic they would be paying for NHS treatment and dentist bills and stuff of the sort, life here in the north is better than in the South.

People in the Republic now have a better standard of living than those in Ulster.
  • Options
    People in the Republic now have a better standard of living than those in Ulster.

you know this through which means...
  • Options
    GDP per head for one.

Also a faster growing economy (over the past decade) which would lead to an increased standard of living.

The fact that there is no free health care in the Republic does not necessarily denote a 'worse' standard of living. There is no free health care in the US but on average has a higher standard of living than the UK.
  • Options
    GDP per head for one.

Also a faster growing economy (over the past decade) which would lead to an increased standard of living.

The fact that there is no free health care in the Republic does not necessarily denote a 'worse' standard of living. There is no free health care in the US but on average has a higher standard of living than the UK.

the US does not have higher standard of living on average because of the amount of poverty in the poorer regions, but i think it was shown somewhere that an average white middle class family etc would have better standards of living in the US

anyway, Northern IRELAND should be given back to Ireland in my opinion
  • Options
    The US has a higher GDP per head than the UK. Whether economic inequality is more extreme is not relevant.
  • Options
    It is if 90% of the wealth is owned by 10% of the population.

Or if a majority can't afford a doctor.

Some Arab Kingdoms feature or used to feature at the very top of the GDP list. Go and see the standard of living of the population in those places.
  • Options
    its very annoying when america or english ppl make comments about northern ireland, ie pnj saying northern ireland was historically apart of england, northern ireland didn't even exist until 1922, plus the british army were sent here in august 1969 to calm tensions between human rights marchers (comprised of both catholic and protestant) and their opponents, if u lived here you wud understand the nuisance they cause continually, i.e helicopters flying over ur house at 2 a.m while ur trying to sleep, walking through the streets with guns while children are close by, they shuld b removed then there wud b no trouble, thats what republicans wanted, they said they wud stop if they left, so y don't they
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    We only had a contractual obligation when Mrs Thatcher decided to lease Hong Kong from the Chinese between 1984-1997.

haha no we leased it from china in 1847 to stop the opium wars,(yes a war over heroin!) it was a compromise deal to have the island for 150 years! for the next 50 years though the island has semi independence from the mainland
  • Options
    The current troubles began after the UK forces were sent in to defend the Catholics from the Black and Tans...

The Black and Tans were Army irregulars, I.E. British Army part timers, sent in to defuse the GPO take over in 1916 (whilst the UVF was aquitting it'self on the field of battle)
    Point is we handed back a British dependency to its natural country. So just as Hong Kong went back to China so Northern Ireland should be reunited with the Irish Republic.

2/3rds of the Northern Irish people wish to remain British. What we should say screw them, screw the people on "isla malvinas" and on Gibralter lets tell them that they can't be British any more because we handed Honkers over.

its very annoying when america or english ppl make comments about northern ireland, ie pnj saying northern ireland was historically apart of england, northern ireland didn't even exist until 1922, plus the british army were sent here in august 1969 to calm tensions between human rights marchers (comprised of both catholic and protestant) and their opponents, if u lived here you wud understand the nuisance they cause continually, i.e helicopters flying over ur house at 2 a.m while ur trying to sleep, walking through the streets with guns while children are close by, they shuld b removed then there wud b no trouble, thats what republicans wanted, they said they wud stop if they left, so y don't they

Turlough are you actually living in Ulster? Surely you can see that the IRA are no longer a republican organisation but drug runners like the UVF/UDA
    the clue is in the title:

northern IRELAND

Actually no. Ulster has always been seperate from the other three counties. Even the people are different. Ulster is one of the places inhabited by Vikings, the only other major place in Ireland is Dublin (Blackpool as my family like to call it)

The scottish protestants that were sent to northern ireland in the nineteenth century are the root of the more modern problems, if it wasnt for that, i think Ireland would be a happier, less oppressed place :/
    When? It should be noted that those Scottish tended to be from areas that had been conquered and inhabited by the Irish years before hand. That's right Albany belonged to ikkle Erin.
    Opinion polls say that 60% of Britons back a united Ireland and of the remaining 40% a large proportion were of no opinion either way. Also a large majority of people in the Irish Republic want Northern Ireland to return to them,

Well if the Irish people want it!!!![/sarcasm] 60% of Britons many of whom (as shown by this thread) know little or nothing of Ireland and have no business with it. Sure it would be nice just to go screw it it costs too much in lives and taxes to keep Northern Ireland lets give it back. That's fine for someone who doesn't come from there. Of the people there just under 2/3rds want to stay British (many of the 1/3 who don't have been tactically moved into Ulster to gain Sínn Fein vital seats.)

You tend to hear only one side as well. Loyalists are not good with their PR.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RoyalSubject

You tend to hear only one side as well. Loyalists are not good with their PR.

Loyalists aren't good with their spelling, never mind PR! Sorry had to be said...
  • Options
    yes i am from ulster, the IRA are a dead organisation in terms of armewd struggle but they continue to hand out punishment beatings, there is a small of drug dealing in the IRA but this is restricted to west and north belfast, in other areas the IRA are anti-drug, they even set up the DAAD, direct action against drugs which killed numerous people over the past couple of years, it is the loyalists who are the main drug dealers.
  • Options
    2/3rds of the Northern Irish people wish to remain British. What we should say screw them, screw the people on "isla malvinas" and on Gibralter lets tell them that they can't be British any more because we handed Honkers over.
    If they wish to remain British give them British citizenship and a right of passage to the mainland like we did with those in Hong Kong. I don't want to stop people being British if they want to be British but I don't see the point in us hanging onto the dregs of our colonial past especially when it costs us in terms of defending these places and these places have little productive worth. The Falklands War was called by one of the top generals in the military at the time as "a grubby little war", we didn't even enter into negociations with the Argentines to solve the issue which led to hundreds of soldiers deaths and the huge cost of defending what are basically a few barren rocks off Argentina. If these people want to be British - let them live in Britain.

Actually no. Ulster has always been seperate from the other three counties. Even the people are different. Ulster is one of the places inhabited by Vikings, the only other major place in Ireland is Dublin (Blackpool as my family like to call it)
    Get your terms right some of Ulster is actually in the Irish Republic because it contained a majority Catholic population in 1922 and a majority Catholic population would have been reached a lot sooner, so maybe you should use the correct term of Northern Ireland.

Well if the Irish people want it!!!![/sarcasm] 60% of Britons many of whom (as shown by this thread) know little or nothing of Ireland and have no business with it. Sure it would be nice just to go screw it it costs too much in lives and taxes to keep Northern Ireland lets give it back. That's fine for someone who doesn't come from there. Of the people there just under 2/3rds want to stay British (many of the 1/3 who don't have been tactically moved into Ulster to gain Sínn Fein vital seats.)
    The Irish people want it. The British people don't. Simple solution - give it back. Voila no more terrorism or lives pointlessly lost. Those who want to stay British can move to the mainland like those who wanted to stay British when Hong Kong was handed to the Chinese did. Why not mention the Scottish Protestants who have for generations been tactically moved to Northern Ireland to keep a Protestant majority.
  • Options
    Get your terms right some of Ulster is actually in the Irish Republic because it contained a majority Catholic population in 1922 and a majority Catholic population would have been reached a lot sooner, so maybe you should use the correct term of Northern Ireland.

You are right. Co.Donegal, Cabhan and Monaghan are indeed part of ROI however we ulstermen still call Northern Ireland, Ulster. There's facts and there's life.
    If they wish to remain British give them British citizenship and a right of passage to the mainland like we did with those in Hong Kong.
    Yes a mass exodus of all those people? And why? Why should they give in to terrorist demands and leave there homes and lives behind? Ulstermen (or 6/9 counties at least) are British and the majority of those people want to stay British and stay there in their own homes. I don't know what world you live in it's obviously not this one! Honk Kong and Northern Ireland are 2 completely different nuts. Just because Honkers cracked doesn't set a precident for this one.
    Loyalists aren't good with their spelling, never mind PR!
    Sorry Tim, Educated under a Labour government, need I say more?
  • Options
    You are right. Co.Donegal, Cabhan and Monaghan are indeed part of ROI however we ulstermen still call Northern Ireland, Ulster. There's facts and there's life.
    In fact the official term is now Northern Ireland and so you are Northern Irish officially. As I'm sure you're aware the references to Ulster were phased out in the late 80s as it is offensive to those in the Nationalist communities.

Yes a mass exodus of all those people? And why? Why should they give in to terrorist demands and leave there homes and lives behind? Ulstermen (or 6/9 counties at least) are British and the majority of those people want to stay British and stay there in their own homes. I don't know what world you live in it's obviously not this one! Honk Kong and Northern Ireland are 2 completely different nuts. Just because Honkers cracked doesn't set a precident for this one.
    Despite your wish to paint a majority of the British people, a large majority of the Irish people not to mention about half the Northern Irish people terrorists that's just not the reality of the situation. I live in this world - the world where approximately half the Northern Irish community are Nationalists, where a majority of the British people want rid of Northern Ireland and where something like 80% of the Irish people want the rest of their country back. You want to stay British - come and live in Britain then. Fact is it's not a matter if Northern Ireland rejoins the Republic it's when.

Sorry Tim, Educated under a Labour government, need I say more?
    Yeah you could explain why despite admitting your bad spelling you still seem to lack the ability to find a dictionary or is that Jim Callaghan's fault too? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah you could explain why despite admitting your bad spelling you still seem to lack the ability to find a dictionary or is that Jim Callaghan's fault too?

I don't really give a damn for a message board like this. But let me put some phonetic Irish down and lets have you spell that eh?

Pogue mah hown!

(ans: Póg ma Thoíne)
  • Options

Pogue mah hown!

Pogue mah hone :p
  • Options
    yeah I was struggling with the phonetic for that. I thought maybe Hown would do if people thought of ghetto whores (Ho's) But I submit. Hone is a better phonetic varient although you loose the "ho-n" element to the word.

Damn English!
  • Options
    you both got the wrong spelling of it, it's
    pog mo thoin
  • Options
    You will see a PHONETIC spelling. And its mÁ thoinE
  • Options
    thats still wrong, "mo" is not pronounced ma, and thoin is not prounounced thoinE, its prounounced pog moh hone
  • Options
    I don't really give a damn for a message board like this. But let me put some phonetic Irish down and lets have you spell that eh?

Pogue mah hown!

(ans: Póg ma Thoíne)

Quite frankly I have no desire to kiss you on any part of your body, sorry to disappoint you.

Do fúl ort!
  • Options
    Turlogh try reading the last few posts.

Imeacht gan teacht ort, Kevlar.

Go raith maith agat is oíche maith! RS!