Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Generation "E"'s influence on Europe & the world.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Read only 1 article on this---that's the extent of my knowledge.

There's a new generation of youngish people just out of college, who think nothing of taking a job and living for a while in countries other than their own. On the whole, they come from better off families...in other words factory workers aren't doing this. These people usually know several languages and are already think of Europe as borderless...they often take holidays over borders and feel at home in any country in Europe.

The article said while the EU is still working out how to make Europe borderless in Belgium...these people are already living it. They don't have the negative opinions about certain people/cultures and many are marrying people from different cultures. An example was a French guy whose family didn't trust the Germans...living in Germany for a while, meeting a German woman and her coming to France to marry him. They profiled a very blonde Swedish woman living in Spain and living a nighttime lifestyle she would never have had in Spain.

So here's somethings I'd like to discuss. What influence will these oblivious-to-borders youngish people have on European and global politics? Specifically, what things will the world gain and, ah ha, lose?

Comments

• Options
    pnj, i dont know where you got that article but its writer obviously has zero knowledge or experience of the EU or he/she would know that the removal of borders within the EU was accomplished over 10 years ago.

The commentary in that blurb is ridiculously out of date. The only place youll still find a border crossing of any kind is in the UK.

For the rest of the EU and its people, what youve posted is out of touch and out of date.

Oh and do yourself a favour and go learn the difference between Belgium (a country and merely one of 15 member states of the EU) and the EU institutions themselves.

From the way you post you might as well consider New York to be a world government itself simply because it plays host to the UN building.

As for negative attitudes toward cultures, i think you need to start looking at the US press for that kind of myopic and jingoistic sentiment. At the level of the general public there has been very little of that certainly for the 13 years i have been over here.

That is not to say that people dont have legitimate criticism of other their own government as well as others, especially of the US government. Public sentiment toward the Bush admin even in the Eastern countries (whose governments went along with Bush's illegal war) are overwhelmingly in opposition to Bush and co.

Get a clue!
  • Options
    The Belguim quote was from the article. Conceptually you are right about the borders. Statistically you are wrong. The point of the article was that this is the first generation who is really taking advantage of it...perhaps because of the Euro easing the way.

You're always so negative...like your country's weather. This is a positive posting. Lighten up it's summer.:cool:
  • Options
    Well they will have an influence as they grow older and become the generation in charge, if you know what I mean.

And it is certainly true that travelling broadens the mind. Almost invariably everyone who spends time living abroad changes their opinion on others. It certainly broadened mind, especially regarding respect and appreciation for other nations and cultures, and I wish it was mandatory that every child was sent abroad for a couple of years. A lot of people wouldn't have the chip in the shoulder so many seem to carry.

Thanks to freedom of movement and freedom to live and work anywhere you please within the EU there has been a massive exchange of cultures, languages and races. That can only be a good thing.
  • Options
    For gawds sakes Clandeswhine cheer up!
  • Options
    Go then and prove to me I am wrong, pnj. Big words from a boy with no personal experience either of the EU or its citizens.

The day you travel and work over here in a regular basis is the day Ill consider your views on the subject to be of any merit.

You might be surprised to learn that people were migrating in significant numbers even before borders came down. Im generation X and I can tell you that there are many my age here whose parents or grandparents migrated from other parts of the community to find work and stayed. My own landlord comes from Italian immigrants to Belgium from more than 40 years ago.

My negativity is toward your continued posting of ridiculous and patently snide commentary about the EU of which you know nothing. You learn even less subscribing to garbage articles such as the one you referred to above.

As for the weather, I havent bothered to check what the weather is in Boston today but most often it changes as frequently as does Brussels weather.
  • Options
    It certainly broadened mind, especially regarding respect and appreciation for other nations and cultures

Clandestine you and your landlord were ahead of the curve. Great. This is a happy post. Happy. Happy. Freak'n Happy. :mad:

I crack myself up. :lol:

Anyways, Mr. Aladdin. That's interesting. So you think rather than the fear that this new generation may inadvertantly break apart cultures...they may treasure them. That's interesting. So it's all good then.
  • Options
    Im not part of any statistical curve as regards European migration flows within the EU pnj. Being a US national puts me in the unrepresented category of third country nationals.
  • Options
    Well my neighbourhood Brixton boasts an incredible diversity of races, nationalities and cultures, and a strong community that embraces each others' values.

Those who claim multiculturalism doesn't work say so because they don't want it to work.
  • Options
    Sounds like NYC which was interesting. Especially since people from countries that are at each other's throats...Pakistan and India...have restaurants next to each other in NYC.

I've heard complaints that within America, the movement of people and national/global broadcasters are eliminating regional differences...which some people treasured and in some cases people say good riddance too...like segregation. So I was wondering is their any fear that some languages or aspects of cultures will die out? For example, Norway has 4 million people. If students in Norway are for the most part fluent in English and now may live part of their lives in another country, who will learn to speak their language? And will their comparatively small culture change?

Also, a good thing...I would think becoming multicultural leads to liberalism right? Because you would start to view people as people instead of say Germans or French?
  • Options
    Re: Generation "E"'s influence on Europe & the world.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Read only 1 article on this---that's the extent of my knowledge.

There's a new generation of youngish people just out of college, who think nothing of taking a job and living for a while in countries other than their own. On the whole, they come from better off families...in other words factory workers aren't doing this. These people usually know several languages and are already think of Europe as borderless...they often take holidays over borders and feel at home in any country in Europe.

The article said while the EU is still working out how to make Europe borderless in Belgium...these people are already living it. They don't have the negative opinions about certain people/cultures and many are marrying people from different cultures. An example was a French guy whose family didn't trust the Germans...living in Germany for a while, meeting a German woman and her coming to France to marry him. They profiled a very blonde Swedish woman living in Spain and living a nighttime lifestyle she would never have had in Spain.

So here's somethings I'd like to discuss. What influence will these oblivious-to-borders youngish people have on European and global politics? Specifically, what things will the world gain and, ah ha, lose?

:lol::lol: The fact that you seem to think that this is 'unusual' just shows how insular and xenophobic the US really is...I mean, does this even need commenting on...Not to by in Europe it doesn't
  • Options
    You are on Clandestine's level. The point of the article, and this happy, non-argumentative post, was that with also the adoption of the Euro...now more than ever people are sampling cultures. For instance, if you know you have to wait in lines to exchange currencies...and figure out exchange rates...it might prevent you from taking little weekend holidays to another country.

But there's things to debate. Like is English jammed down the throat of too many cultures?
  • Options
    My level? lol. Please pnj. Perhaps when your all grown up and have some real world experience under your belt you can comment on the "level" of those who do have the insight to take you task for subscribing to patently non-factual articles.
  • Options
    Maybe Clandestine. But I hope I don't write off the opinion of people who are younger than me. *bats eyes. single tear roles down pnjsurferpoet's face*

Guilt trip. Gotta love it.:lol:
  • Options
    Alot of people are younger than me here, but many of them make the effort to investigate matters before throwing bogus claims into the ring.

All ive ever wanted you to do is recognise that you cannot rely on the US press and media to give you an accurate picture of what is going on outside the country. Theyve excelled for generations at pandering to and colluding with the political spin of the day to mask much of the truth behind our dirty dealings abroad.

Does that mean everyone else is clean? No by no means! The EU has serious issues to contend with over its own trade relations with developing countries and its own future integration at the political level (as two examples).

Nevertheless, when discussing issues of global or regional conflict, youll find the issues confused and obscured to even greater degree in the US than outside given the fact that we are the #1 arms proliferators in the world as well as (through the CIA and the Pentagon's own sub agencies) the biggest instigators of violence and supporters of those who commit it on our behalf than any other country in the world.

Thus you cannot expect to be given all the facts by the mainstream press/media (nor the historic context in which to assess those facts even if they were told to you). For that you have to make your own effort to examine more self-critical reports that expose many of the "behind-closed-doors" dealings that are carried out in the halls of power in Washington.

Start demonstrating some recognition of that and there would be less criticism from myself and many others i suspect.
  • Options
    No = what I'm saying is it seems only someone like you would read this article and think that its some kind of radical change in Europe, when within Europe (If not the rest of the world) there has always been more tollerance!
  • Options
    Tolerance in Europe? Excuse me?

Europe was the site of the single largest racially motivated killing in history - the Holocaust.

Anti-Semitism is still rife in Europe today.

America s a massive mix of cultures , it isnt called a melting pot for nothing.
  • Options

D-u-d-e!:thumb:
    And Mat isn't an American.
  • Options
    Actually Mat, Germany and its Nazi government of the day was responsible for the Holocaust, not "Europe".

Secondly, claims to anti semitism largely derive from the fact that Europe recognises and condemns the evils being perpetrated by a right wing zionist agenda against the Palestinians. The fact that this agenda has the full backing of the largely worldly "unwise" Christian right wing zealots who have a powerful influence on policymaking in Washington does not give any greater legitimacy to the claim that Europe is "anti-semitic".

It is Anti-"Zionist" (which is a political rather than religious phenomenon) and rightly so from the demonstrable crises which Zionism has continued to fuel in the Middle East with its intractible expanisionistic ambitions.

Obviously Mr. Murdoch is your sole authority on world matters!
  • Options
    D-u-d-e!:thumb:
    And Mat isn't an American.
    But really wishes he was. :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Actually Mat, Germany and its Nazi government of the day was responsible for the Holocaust, not "Europe".

Bullshit. Sorry, but that comment is completely comtemptable.

They may have started the rise and they may have made extermination possible, but there is clear evidence that some of the populations of Italy, Romania, Austria, Holland, France, Denmark, Russia, Poland etc were as much involved in the holocaust. Some have even been convicted because of it.

In fact a certain segment of British society supported them - including (at some point) members of our Royal Family.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Well they will have an influence as they grow older and become the generation in charge, if you know what I mean.

That's what the 60's generation said. Who is "in control" now?

;)
  • Options
    Although the whole issue of the Nazis has nothing to do with what Europe is today though (as discussed in this thread), despite Matadore's attempts to smear his own Continent and people by any means possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Can you tell me where the "race riots" have happened.

"Million man march" mean anything to you?
  • Options
    actually, I thought this would be a happy thread.

Every culture has reactionaries in it. To try to smear America as racist is silly and inaccurate MOK. The laws are on the side of the individual and the minority. If you don't know that...you don't know American law.

PS I have no problem saying the million man march was a bunch of racists. Fara-ram-it is about as racist as you can get. Being Black doesn't prevent him from being a racist.

The UK is right to ban him from speaking in your country.

Meantime back on topic, how about the issue of English dominating other languages. Any downside to that?
  • Options
    MoK, I say rubbish to your claim as well. You can hardly claim that "Europe" as a continent committed the Holocaust regardless of whether select groupings of individuals chose to collude in this attrocity.

Other groupings, if you need be reminded (and shame on you if you do) acted to rescue many from the fate which awaited them or acted to sabotage the Nazi war machine whereever they could.

Matadore simply adopts the Murdoch "blanket" mentality in condemening what he obviously lacks any sufficient comprehension of. Just a load of sensationalistic knee-jerk right wing clap trap.

To hear you suggest it has any merit whatsoever is frankly a shock.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    MoK, I say rubbish to your claim as well. You can hardly claim that "Europe" as a continent committed the Holocaust regardless of whether select groupings of individuals chose to collude in this attrocity.

Apologies, that wasn't the impression I wanted to give.

What I meant was that we cannot simply blame the Nazi Party for what happenned, nor can we simply blame Germans. That so many other nations gleefully assisted in the transport of Jews gives lie to that. Given the opportunity, many of my countrymen would have embarked on such a scheme within these shores too.

I certainly don't subscribe to Mat's over reaching claim, that it was everyone else but the Brits.
  • Options
    The Dark side knows no national boundaries, Ill agree with you there!
  • Options
    The fact is a lot of Jews are leaving France right now.

No one spoke about the idea that English is being jammed down the throats of non-English speaking countries and that by adopting that language, people may be hurting their own culture/language...as is the case in Norway...or so people from Norway have said on the Internet. What do all of you think of that?
  • Options
    The fact is a lot of Jews are leaving France right now.

Where on earth have you heard such a thing?
  • Options
    I read an article on it last week on the Internet. I think on MSNBC. There's spill-over fighting regarding the Middle East among Arabs and Jews in France.