Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Road speed bumps: a good idea or the spawn of the devil?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    There's no need for speed bumps near schools.

No, that's you. :p

Care to justify these statements?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Care to justify these statements?

Other people's children aren't MY concern.
  • Options

it would be if you hit one in the absense of speed bumps
  • Options
    I doubt it.
  • Options

Just because you don't care about anyone elses lives isn't justification for not wanting traffic carming measures.

What is your reason for being against a device that can save lives, apart from wanting to seem like a heartless bastard?
  • Options

Just because you don't care about anyone elses lives isn't justification for not wanting traffic carming measures.

What is your reason for being against a device that can save lives, apart from wanting to seem like a heartless bastard?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Another statistic

It's just a child. Not important in my opinion.

Who said I was 'heartless'? I just think speed bumps create more problems than solutions.
  • Options
    It's just a child. Not important in my opinion.

Who said I was 'heartless'? I just think speed bumps create more problems than solutions.

OH MY GOD!:eek: So if you ran down a kid it wouldnt matter to you? Gawd you must have a lump of coal for a heart or something!
  • Options
    OH MY GOD!:eek: So if you ran down a kid it wouldnt matter to you? Gawd you must have a lump of coal for a heart or something!

Why should it matter to me? It's not my child.
  • Options
    Why should it matter to me? It's not my child.

Im sure something would come outa your wallet for it.imagine if it was your child though, even though i doubt you prolly would have any anyway.
  • Options
    If it's my child, then that's different.
  • Options
    monocretin I fear the day that you somehow manage to spaw a sibling and that would be an issue. Thankfully chance is against you in that area as I doubt that could ever happen. Unless of course you have managed to reproduce in which case my faith in the Darwin theory will be all I have left.

Speedbumps work and it's a pretty shameless ploy by the Conservatives to try and woo us by promising a lump free passage on our journeys. On my car, due to it being low to the ground tends to mate with every speedbump I tackle, this has been made worse recently as my town has become infected with them. But I'd walk for the rest of my life it it spared someone elses.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MWF
    monocretin I fear the day that you somehow manage to spaw a sibling and that would be an issue. Thankfully chance is against you in that area as I doubt that could ever happen. Unless of course you have managed to reproduce in which case my faith in the Darwin theory will be all I have left.

Speedbumps work and it's a pretty shameless ploy by the Conservatives to try and woo us by promising a lump free passage on our journeys. On my car, due to it being low to the ground tends to mate with every speedbump I tackle, this has been made worse recently as my town has become infected with them. But I'd walk for the rest of my life it it spared someone elses.

Speedbumps don't work and are unnecessary.
  • Options
    Speedbumps don't work and are unnecessary.

have any justification of this? figures? statitistics? not just your short statements?
  • Options
    have any justification of this? figures? statitistics? not just your short statements?
    Why do I need justification?

I dislike speedbumps. Why is it my concern if some snotty nosed kid get hurt?

(I guess I should wait for the obligatory 'what if it were your kid' statements....) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Why do I need justification?

I dislike speedbumps. Why is it my concern if some snotty nosed kid get hurt?

Disliking speed bumps does not prove or mean they 'don't work and are unnecessary' it just means you dislike them. Which is of no concern to anybody.
  • Options
    I just think speed bumps create more problems than solutions.

This must be the 1st time i actually agree with something that you say.

Speed bumps sometimes encourage some drivers to actually speed up. They know how to drive over them and I think the best way to slow traffic down is the type of raised bump which has some type of finish on it which means cars actually have to slow down, I dont know what they are called but on a new estate near me they have these type of humps in the road and they DO slow traffic down.
  • Options
    This must be the 1st time i actually agree with something that you say.

Speed bumps sometimes encourage some drivers to actually speed up. They know how to drive over them and I think the best way to slow traffic down is the type of raised bump which has some type of finish on it which means cars actually have to slow down, I dont know what they are called but on a new estate near me they have these type of humps in the road and they DO slow traffic down.QUOTE]

It's their design and implementation that's the problem. Very little actual research goes into their placement and like you say the shallow ones are best crossed as speed. This is because more modern cars have dampers in the shock absorbers which will absorb sharp bumps better the harder you hit them. Near to me 'rumble strips' where placed in a residential area and then burnt off a month later as everyone sped up to reduce their effect.
  • Options
    I just think speed bumps create more problems than solutions.

What problems do they cause then?
  • Options
    They are unnecessary.
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options
    They are unnecessary.

And that is a problem how, precisely?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Why?

Life is full of risks. Why place some speed bumps somewhere to slow drivers down?

In my view, life is too safe.