Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Road speed bumps: a good idea or the spawn of the devil?

Here's an issue that could yet give the Tories power: their opposition to the epidemic of speed bumps that have covered our roads. Story.

There are now more than 500,000 such devices in Britain. Supporters argue that too many people still break the 30mph limit on built up areas and that the bumps save lives. 9 out of 10 pedestrians hit by a car doing 40mph will die. However 9 out of 10 hit by a car doing 20mph will survive.

Detractors however claim the bumps cause the death of hundreds of emergency patients as ambulances racing to hospitals suffer costly delays.

Then there is the issue of cars racing between bumps to make up for lost time, then braking sharply before the next one and accelerating again afterwards. Result? Unbearable noise and increased pollution.

I personally think some speed bumps (near schools for example) can stay. But in London in particular they have become a fucking plague, and most of them are simply used to discourage people to take so-called rat runs. So either everybody takes the 'nominated' route from A to B, which will mean 2 hours to cover six miles, or go over 50 or 60 bumps. It's a disgrace. If people don't like cars driving outside their houses they shouldn't live in big cities.

Only consolation is that the new bumps don’t cover the length of the road but consist of two or three square units. This is so ambulances, which have a wider wheelbase than cars, can drive through at greater speeds. This is also fantastic for motorbikes!

So what's your take on them? Does anyone live near one, and what do they think of them?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well i dont live near any in London of course, but on my street here in Brussels they recently redesigned the road and the nearby intersection with a new form of raised surface. There is one "bump" of the traditional style halfway down the road with raised intersection portions (akin to raised "islands") at the top and bottom of the road.

My thought on this new design and its application over here at any rate is positive. Has it stopped the teenage nutcases from driving like arseholes? Not entirely no. However overall the pace of traffic on side roads like mine has now been noticeably diminished.

In London I recall, from past jaunts cross the channel, it is perhaps a bit more excessively applied and thus presents additional hinderences to the smooth flow of urban transport as a whole.

Hard to say really, the life that gets saved might be your own one day so perhaps its worth the bother.
  • Options
    Speed bumps...good idea
    Law breaking Maniacs driving too fast in cars in built up areas spawn of the Devil
  • Options
    However many bumps don't make distinction between law abiding drivers and speeders. Most of the bumps you will encounter in London cannot be passed at any more than 20mph- anyone who does risks damaging their car. And many of them are of such crudeness and size (pretty much as if the contractors had poured a mini-mountain of asphalt and let it dry) that passing them at any more than 15mph will damage your suspension.

The last time I looked the speed limit in urban areas was 30 mph and I don't think it's fair entire neighbourhoods are given the bump treatment so cars have to stop to crawling pace every few metres to negotiate the buggers. I have no problem with sensitive areas or streets where great care is needed but I object to the mass introduction of bumps which make any journey across London an absolute hell.

Not to mention the really serious issues, such as ambulances risking further injuries to those they are carrying to hospital or letting them die in the back of the van because the journey to the hospital takes considerably longer than it used to.
  • Options
    I used to be ambivalent about speed bumps but then a mother whose little girl had been run over came round asking for us to sign a petition for them, the road where her daughter got killed is pretty much a long straight road and motorists use this for their own advantage and speed down. At the end of the day you have to consider what's more important a human life or an extra 30 seconds on your journey and a bit of damage to your car's suspension.

Although there are some unnecessary road things which can be removed - prime example being those stupid flat roundabouts at intersections, they're hard to see and just get in the way. Also the idiots who park their cars half on the pavement, half on the road, in my neighbourhood's narrow roads this is a major problem especially when these idiots decide to park like that on corners. Incidentally I live in supposedly "hump free Barnet" and there was such an outcry against the "Hump free" suggestion that the council has had to backtrack from the comments of the Tory councillor in charge of the environment and now it's just a vague commitment to reduce the number of humps.
  • Options
    I completely agree with sensible bumps, especially in long straight roads and in situation such as the one you've described.

I don't agree with N.I.M.B.Y.-influenced bumps though in the middle of cities. Some people campaign to make entire neighbourhoods an obstacle course for cars, and all because they'd like to see no cars on their streets. There is no problem of speeding on those streets; they simply attempt to make it as difficult as possible for motorists. Result? The only road that has no speed bumps going in a certain direction is blocked solid with traffic all day long, and all other routes are humped up to oblivion.
  • Options
    Parents seem to have so much on their minds. I can't tell you how many times I've almost gotten hit boarding or riding my bike on the way to school.

If the speed bumps seem too extreme to someone...maybe they should realize they are going too fast in an area where they will have to live for the rest of their lives knowing they killed a kid if they don't slow down BEFORE something happens.

This may help. Do this simple, logical idea in your head. How many kilometers over the speed limit will you have to do for how long to save how many minutes on your trip?

It's easy to see speeding is not worth it.
  • Options
    we got speed bumped in my little village a good few years ago. we were nominated as a pilot area to encourage kids to walk to school and as part of that drive they put down a load of bumps. everyone moaned at first, but you get used to them and it's nice to know that my very residential area is not being sped around. there's no need to speed in my village, it's not a main thoroughfare, so i think they're a good idea.

we also got little yellow and green trees painted on our pavements to show children the safest route home from school! now, they are cool, they've even got a G on them for Garswood :)
  • Options
    Keeping traffic down to be 30mph in built-up areas is a good thing, but keeping it down to walking pace is a trifle excessive.

There was a speed bump outside my student flat in Liverpool. Unfortunately, the street was also on a bus route, so it got very noisy sometimes. Also, actually travelling on a bus going over a speed bump (especially a double-decker or if you are standing) is a very unpleasant experience.
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with them in any residential area, anywhere that children may be playing really.

What makes me laugh are those small ones, even my car can straddle them, without having to reduce speed. So why put them there?
  • Options
    I'm against them.

I don't really care if they are placed near schools.
  • Options
    Awww poor mono!

Are they denying you your right to fly through residential areas and perhaps run over small children who shouldn't be playing in the road in the first place? :confused:

How dare they!!! :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Awww poor mono!

Poor for what?

Are they denying you your right to fly through residential areas and perhaps run over small children who shouldn't be playing in the road in the first place? :confused: :crazyeyes

No. The 'small children' aren't my concern in the first place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Poor for what?

No. The 'small children' aren't my concern in the first place.

I say "poor mono" because you quite obviously are a heartless and friendless loner. You have no feelings for anyone do you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I say "poor mono" because you quite obviously are a heartless and friendless loner.
    Nope. :)

You have no feelings for anyone do you?

Only if I think it's warranted.
  • Options

*points and laughs* Ha Ha
  • Options
    :rolleyes: at monocrat.

Come back Steelgate, all is forgotten!
  • Options
    Now thats a desperate wish! lol.
  • Options

That's probably one of the saddest things I've ever read.
  • Options
    I'm against them.

I don't really care if they are placed near schools.

Why?

Please explain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    That's probably one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Why?
  • Options
    Why?

It's sad you even have to ask that but I'll humour you. The reason it is sad is because you can't treat your feelings like a business deal or buying a house, making up lists of pros and cons and seeing if it's worthwhile to "invest" your feelings in someone. Feelings are wonderfully illogical and to be honest if we all just gave our feelings much more readily the world would be a much better place.
  • Options
    Good idea. Unfortunately they don't stop speed freak maniacs from going at them at 30-40 mph.

One problem, especially in my area, is that there are speed bumps on the main road which does deter speeding and are vital because there is a primary school on the road. However my road is at the back of the area and is typically quiet as it is next to a field and parks, but people speed down this road so much as to avoid the speed bumps on the main road. So many children play on this road and are forever crossing it - I am so surpised there hasn't been a major accident. Sitting at my desk there have been times where I've nearly shouted to children "please don't play in the road!". Obviously speed bumps can't be put on every road, but I think some people who want to speed find alternative bump-free routes and these are usually quieter roads where pedestrians are at risk.

I detest drivers who speed. A few minutes off your journey time takes priority over human life?
  • Options
    Originally posted by trinster
    *points and laughs* Ha Ha

Heh, OK...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Has anybody ever thought why he has called himself MONO-crat? I.E Singular, loner whose views are held by a grand total of one. A Mono-person with many mono-views.
  • Options
    Where did this 'loner' thing come from?:lol:
  • Options
    remember not to get too personal with comments, okay?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    It's sad you even have to ask that but I'll humour you. The reason it is sad is because you can't treat your feelings like a business deal or buying a house, making up lists of pros and cons and seeing if it's worthwhile to "invest" your feelings in someone. Feelings are wonderfully illogical and to be honest if we all just gave our feelings much more readily the world would be a much better place.

uh-huh...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Why?

Please explain.

Is there a need to?

I just see no need for speed bumps near schools.
  • Options
    Is there a need to?

I just see no need for speed bumps near schools.

so you think its ok for some maniac to speed through an area where there are potentially children crossing roads? who could be hurt?

Your a cold cold being
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    so you think its ok for some maniac to speed through an area where there are potentially children crossing roads? who could be hurt?

There's no need for speed bumps near schools.
    Your a cold cold being [/B]

No, that's you. :p