Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What's the big deal with age gaps?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by MoonWalkingsFun
    I was just gona meet someone younger than me tomorrow as well... now it feels weird :lol:

well give it a go but don't hold high expectations!

listen to the birthday boy!
  • Options
    lol happy birthday....

I aint holdin no high expectations... I just text her - no reply... think shes got no credit tho unless ive done somethin to piss her off, again.
  • Options
    I don't think age gaps are as much of an issue once both people are over 20. But the 16 year olds going out with 25 year olds sort of age gaps are a bit strange.

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonWalkingsFun
    Blah, Thats what joo believe :p

End of the day, if ur with someone u like then ur with someone u like... and if you like them it doesnt matter what age. U aint gotta be with people for anyone else but yourself.

It does have more of an effect when your younger but it doesnt mean the effect is totally negative. If u go thru life not experiencing and experimenting when your young you wind up knowing about as much as a taxi driver.
    Yes that is what I believe and I am talking from experience.
    When I was 13 I went out with a lad who was 17, then he turned he and I turned 14 and even then it was really quite disturbing. My parents didn't know how old he was either. He had the maturity of an unripened bananna and an IQ to match. So, please do NOT presume to tell me that I will go through life not experimenting and experiencing. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm currently seeing someone 8 years older than me, It's quite strange at times, and she gets the full brunt of the "looks" at work. Everyone knows, but we try and not let it bother us.

I have done a little bragging to my mates (she done that same) Although, I'm not quite sure how and why she brags?!:eek2: *She's very fit and sexy and could easily get a guy her own age!*

As for all these mature remarks, She can be more of a teenage than me!!:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Yes that is what I believe and I am talking from experience.
    When I was 13 I went out with a lad who was 17, then he turned he and I turned 14 and even then it was really quite disturbing. My parents didn't know how old he was either. He had the maturity of an unripened bananna and an IQ to match. So, please do NOT presume to tell me that I will go through life not experimenting and experiencing. :rolleyes:

Sounds like someones going into abit of a decline :rolleyes:

I wasnt talking to you directly, I was giving my opinion to anyone who wanted to read it
  • Options
    im 15 and my boyfriend is 18 yet we have so much in common! its an age gap of 3 years and we also have the same level of maturity we can have a serious conversation or just talk about a load of rubbish
  • Options
    im 15 and my boyfriend is 18 yet we have so much in common! its an age gap of 3 years and we also have the same level of maturity we can have a serious conversation or just talk about a load of rubbish
  • Options
    I have a problem with age gaps. Only because I know what they can do to a relationship.
    My dad is 9 years my mums senior, and it's terrible. My mum still feels young and wants a social life, whereas at 54, my dad's ready to sit in an armchair with his reading glasses and a fly fishing magazine... They permanently argue about stupid things to do with how they were brought up in different decades.. it's just awful.
    I can understand a couple of years, (I like someone a year younger than myself) but anymore than that I just don't see the point.
    I wouldn't want to marry someone who was gonna be in an "old age" mindset ahead of myself!!

But that's just me :p
  • Options
    I don't see the problem with age gaps.

I'm 16 and have a 21 year old boyfriend. He's amazing. We're just on the same wavelength... we've both been through a lot of similar experiences and we just connect.

After his marriage to my mother, my Dad remarried a woman 19 years younger than him. I've never seen either of them happier (I knew the woman before they had a relationship). The age gap isn't even an issue.

So yeah, if you're compatible with someone, why does it matter if they're older or younger than you? Because if you're comfortable with it, it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Preciosa
    I don't see the problem with age gaps.

I'm 16 and have a 21 year old boyfriend. He's amazing. We're just on the same wavelength... we've both been through a lot of similar experiences and we just connect.
    What could a 21 year old man possibly want from a 16 year old girl?
    He should be out clubbing and pulling chicks his own age not dining at Pizza Hut with his possibly kid sister... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    It's not like that. At all.

When I first met him and found out he was 21, I was like "Whoa. Too old. Keep your distance." He couldn't believe it when he found out I was 16 either, he thought I was at least 18. But we carried on hanging out anyway because we got on really well, and after getting to know either other better we decided that the age thing didn't matter and got together.

I can understand the way you feel about age gaps, but you can't apply what you've experienced and tar everyone with the same brush. We're all different, non?
  • Options
    in my experience, when you find a man going for a much younger girl, it's because either he can't find anyone his own age, or because he thinks she'll be more easily convinced to have sex with him.
  • Options
    *Sighs*

Maybe you're right, Kaffrin, maybe you're right.

I don't know. Bleh. I had all these doubts that people have been suggesting in my head before the relationship happened. But it just doesn't seem that way...

*Is depressed now*

I'm gonna go listen to some depressing music and contemplate...
  • Options
    this guys like 4/5 years older than you yeah?
    ordinarily if you were like 18 and he was 23/24 it'd be ok i guess,you'd both be adults but the fact is he a adult hitting on a teenage girl,i think kaffirns right when you got someone like that theyre either to crap at getting people there own age or think that it'd be easier to sleep with younger girls because they can manipulate them......
    be careful not to get hurt ok
    people like that could be one of those "funny people",you know what im talking about right?,those creepy little men that go for the vunerable little girls...
    anywayz play it how you feel fit to,good luck with whatever you choose to do.......
    :p
    :)
  • Options
    But the thing is, he has no problems getting girls his age. At all. He practically has girls asking him to shag them.

Nor has he tried to force me into sex. Or even suggested it when I said that I was only 16. He said he'd wait and that he was OK with that.

But you're right, I should be careful.

And he's not creepy :p.

Bleh... life's a bitch, hey?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't see anything wrong with age gaps when both people are above a certain age. I think an 18 year old going out with a 14 or 15 year old is wrong, because they can't possibly have anything in common.

I'm 15, and my boyfriend's 18. And we're doing fine.

It depends on what kind of relationship you want, I guess. I really can't see myself with a 15 year old guy. I'd say him being 18 fits with me well. And I'm happy with it, and so is he, so what's wrong with it? Obviously we do match up 'cause we've been together for over a year.

Anyway, age caps only matter if it's obvious that it's well, ewwish. Like, as said before, a 20 year old with a 12 year old, or a 70 year old with a 40 year old.
  • Options
    make sure you are careful hun,dont do nothing you dont want to,just because he comes across all normal dont mean he aint potentially dangerous....
    yeh life can be a bitch lol
    i decide to fight the bitchiness and embrace the warmth and love from it....................ha yeh right!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    in my experience, when you find a man going for a much younger girl, it's because either he can't find anyone his own age, or because he thinks she'll be more easily convinced to have sex with him.

Aye, and the second one is mostly true :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless
    Aye, and the second one is mostly true :p

Now i see... :p
  • Options
    I think my boyfriend is pretty chuffed that he mamaged to pull an older woman. Most people who know us are utterly fine with it as a) he's very mature for his age and b) most people know when you're both adults andb it shouldn't matter. I think he enjoys telling all his mates though that am this older woman who seduded him( which is so far from the truth its farcical!)
  • Options
    I am 17 and going out with someone who is 14 - she is developed, my height EXACTLY, she can easily get served in the pub, most people think she's my age when i'm out.
    I did get a little bit of shit about her age when i told my mates but after they saw her and talked to her they realised that she's so mature it's difficult to believe she is only 14.
    I wouldn't go out with any of her friends even though they're all lovely cos they're too immature, but me and her can talk for absolutely hours cos we have loads in common, I haven't done anything physical with her and i won't even think about it until she reaches 16.
    So it's really not possible to say that age gaps in general when people are 14/17 are sick etc.... everyone thinks i'm sick in the head when i say how old she is, but i haven't done anything physical, she acts my age and we have so much in common i really don't see the problem.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Its all just a number.. why does an age gap HAVE to mean that they having nothing in common what so ever?

Precisely - everyone thinks that when you're going out with someone three years younger you automatically are just doing it cos they're easy or something..... which is certainly not true! But we were best friends before it, I just never understood why people had a problem with my relationship....
  • Options
    put it this way:

girl 18
    boy 14

would you feel the same?

Just saying i am 18 my new boyf is 25

I am so happy, i am a mature person we get along great! so i cant personally see it, however what we need to think...is that not all parents are so supportive, theses children go the wrong way, face it, and how do we know there is sex, in a majority of cases probably, BUT not everyone acts and feels like we all do!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    put it this way:

girl 18
    boy 14

would you feel the same?

Depends..... if i were 14, and i liked someone who was 18, and i think i'm mature enough, we have a lot in common etc, then so be it, but i at least have guidance to know when it's just getting silly (a year ago, i liked someone who was 22, and i was 16 - she liked me but we both decided that it would be silly cos we weren't on the same maturity level, we only had one or two things in common which is how we met, etc and hence it wouldn't have worked.)

I am so happy, i am a mature person we get along great! so i cant personally see it, however what we need to think...is that not all parents are so supportive, theses children go the wrong way, face it, and how do we know there is sex, in a majority of cases probably, BUT not everyone acts and feels like we all do!

My parents are actually not remotely supportive of me - her parents have met me, etc, and think i'm really nice, but my parents were somewhat disgusted originally and still haven't warmed to the idea of us being together. I think their big problem is if we're having sex, which i've told them repeatedly we're not, they just do not have any faith in my morals.
    Incidentally, this is a match made in heaven - last year i decided that i wanted to go to university in Australia, and am currently going through the application process for the ANU in Canberra - after i asked her out she said she wanted to but didn't want to fall in love because her family was migrating to Australia in two and a half years and she didn't want to get too attached to someone - i couldn't believe my luck, neither could she. and we still can't find the massive catch in the perfection :-)