Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fertility vs. Morals vs. Ethics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, last week saw a Fertility Conference in Rome where several "leading" experts in their fields showed their wares. Amongst the list of things currently being trialled were:
    [1] Womb transplants - into either a man or a woman. [2] Harvesting aborted eggs - to implant into someone else [3] "Merging" eggs - some of you may recognise this a Chimera

Does science move too fast for moral values to keep up, or is it that moral values have no place in science?

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm im sure Dr. Mengele would probably have advocated the latter postulate. ;)
  • Options
    i dont see that womb transplants are any more immoral than any other transplant - but preferably only into women. I dont think that harvesting eggs from aborted foetuses is nice OR neccesary. They could overcome the shortage of egg donors by allowing women to be paid for doing it.
    I dont know anything about merging eggs or chimeras.
  • Options
    Re: Fertility vs. Morals vs. Ethics
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Does science move too fast for moral values to keep up, or is it that moral values have no place in science?
    I think that science has become too greedy. Perhaps they're bored? There are plenty of other things for them to worry about.

Personally, I think that nature has a way of telling us when to stop having children. The memopause. Women who are having children into their 50s and even 60s are selfish. Don't they realise what children who have much older parents go through when they're young? I do, I've seen it first hand. Furthermore, by the time their child is a teenager, their parents are getting old and need the care you would expect a 30 year old to give to their parents!
    Ok, so that was off topic slightly!

I think science has disregarded morals to be honest. I think they have looked at the possibilities and just plunged in feet first. They have not stopped to consider why it is wrong.
  • Options
    Or perhaps we should shift the focus from 'motherhood' a tiny bit?

I'm truly surprised at the length some people will go in order to have a child. Like if they will not "be complete" or "have fulfilled" their duty if they remain child-free.

I don't have a problem with using genes/cells from aborted foetuses. As long as there might be a chance of a medical advance in any field it is worth it. In cases where a sick child can be cured or stem cells created for the treatment of cancer and other conditions, this is particularly commendable.

But I sometimes despair at the amount of time, effort and money people- whose bodies simply lack some of the conditions needed for child bearing- devote to trying to conceive a child.
  • Options
    It depends on how one defines 'ethics' or 'morals'.

Personally I think women who can't have children should just accept the fact they cannot; why do they NEED them?

At six billion people, mankind is not exactly an endangered species.
  • Options
  • Options
    It seems to me that these women want children to simply cure their own emotional problems. In my view that is not a good reason to have children. Too many people cannot accept themselves for who they are.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    In my view that is not a good reason to have children.

Just interested to know what you think are "good" reasons for people having children?

There was a large survey done once asking parents why they decided to have children, I'll try and find a link, it was quite interesting. Sorry to go slightly off topic.
  • Options
    For the first time ever I agree with Monocrat!

I think that once a woman above a certain age shouldn't have children. I think that should be once their bodies stop being able to create. I don't think science should interfere.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    what about a young woman who has blocked tubes? or has a partner with a low sperm count? these women are unable to have children without medical help, yet the help is so simple to provide. should these women be denied the chance to have children as well?
    I think that once a woman above a certain age shouldn't have children. I think that should be once their bodies stop being able to create. I don't think science should interfere.
  • Options
  • Options
    :) that was more aimed at monocrat, who is still not answering any bloody questions.
    Ok, but just to clarify, I am only talking about age.
  • Options
    Re: Fertility vs. Morals vs. Ethics

Moral values? Pfffft.

OK, how much will these people charge people for these services?

Well, I'd say the same about these wierd treatments as I'd say about surragate mothers... How many children are there in adoption who would benefit from a loving family?
  • Options
    what about a young woman who has blocked tubes? or has a partner with a low sperm count? these women are unable to have children without medical help, yet the help is so simple to provide. should these women be denied the chance to have children as well?

I think that nature has already made that choice. Although I sympathise with them.

But then I also sympathise with those children living in care homes because no-one will foster/adopt them...
  • Options
  • Options
    But without medical intervention a diabetic will die.

Without medical intervention a childless couple can adopt.
  • Options
  • Options
    Perhaps the difference is that breeding is not a life-or-death situation, just a comodity.
  • Options
    and i sympathise with them.

Touche (damn, no accent)

But there is a huge difference and I'm sure you can see that. The childless couple don't need medical intervention in order to raise a child. All they need is a child and god know there are enough of those in need of a parent...
  • Options
  • Options
    Nah, not a good comparison either.

Cataracts lead to blindness/poor sight, poor sight leads to falls, falls lead to fractured hips and believe it or not but this can kill (hence why the NHS must operate on the fractures within a day)...

:p

I know what you are saying though, and I don't know how I would feel if I couldn't have had kids. I did have a foster sister though and I've always said that I would do this when my own children are a little older.

I guess what I am saying is that we have two groups of people, each crying out for what the other can bring. How do we solve this?

Stick one group in a home and operate on the other.

Does that sound practical?
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't think it's immoral either. But I do think that there are limits and these suggestion are at least one step over a very fine line...
  • Options
  • Options

Well why do you want children? You simply cannot have them. Why not accept that?
  • Options
    I think we're there, just about. If only IVF could have better results...
  • Options
  • Options
    But without medical intervention a diabetic will die.

Without medical intervention a childless couple can adopt.

So then stop un-necessary operations. Like Sex change, unnecessary cosmetic surgery IE Boob Jobs and the likes off.

Have you thought what it must be like for a woman to not be able to ever have children? What about when she gets severely depressed and that would then cost the N.H.S an absolute fortune to treat her depression.
  • Options
    As I keep on saying why does a woman NEED children???

In life (in my view at least) shouldn't a person simply accept whatever condition they have? A person (for example) in a wheelchair has no choice but to accept their condition.