Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

281 Traitors

It's a shame that we're a High Contracting Party to the European Convention on Human Rights, because there are 281 people sitting in the House of Commons who I would quite willing have hanged for High Treason.

Well, I think tonight they've shown once and for all that they are in Parliament to line their own pockets, not to make this country great. In fact, they are acting contrary to the national interest. May they rest in pieces, scum that they are.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What is this thread about?

If you're going to start a thread please do the right thing and explain what it is you are complaining about first?

I don't have a clue what you are referring to and when people do a search ina year's time and come across this thread they'll have even less of a clue.
  • Options
    I think Kermit is saying that politicians are not in it because they like the job or actually want the job, moreso because they get a good wage for doing nothing ?

Well thats what I think they do. When there is an election who do we get knocking at our door? I never see any of them until they want my vote, so why is that?

Kermit am I right or am I also talking out of my backside:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I think I never see any of them until they want my vote, so why is that?

I think this is the same everywhere and this last time round in may it went like this

*knock knock*
    hello

*shoves leaflet in my hand*

I go: err whats this

to which he replies

I'm your lib dem candidtae, hope you'll vote for me

thank you for your time, good bye.

so all you aspiring/training politicians - do they teach you this somewhere?

perhaps if the had the conviction and persistance that JWs can show I would be impressed, and maybe even listen.
  • Options
    Hobbs - Jehovah's Witnesses are persistent because they are recruiting to a cult, erm, sorry religion!

Anyway, I think kermit is referring to the MPs who voted in favour of top up fees.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    *nodnod*

you people should keep up ;)

;) Indeed they should!
  • Options
    Total scum those 281. Anyway of finding out whether my MP backed it or not? Tried parliament's website but it's impossible to navigate. Those MPs got free university education combined with generous grants, they have safe and secure provisions of pensions and healthcare and get free expenses for postage, travel, accommodation etc. This on top of a salary of around 100k a year. It's no wonder they pass legislation like this none of them have any idea what it's like to live in the real world. I'd put MPs on the average national wage to keep them in touch with the voters and take away all of their cushy perks that aren't strictly work related. You'd still get MPs - the power and the ego trip is still a great allure but at least they'd know what the reality of life is in Britain today. Of course it'll never happen while MPs set their own wages...
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    What is this thread about?

If you kept up with current affairs youd know exactly what I was talking about *nod* :p

Its about the 281 MPs who voted in favour of top-up fees for students. And how that, if I had my way, Id have them all executed. Id be a great Elizabethan monarch:D
  • Options
    So I guess I was totally wrong there, well I suppose I cant be right all the time can I :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Hobbs - Jehovah's Witnesses are persistent because they are recruiting to a cult, erm, sorry religion!

And they drag little kids round, old women and go knocking on peoples doors on a moring at 9:30am :mad:
    It can be persistantly raining and they still do it :confused:
  • Options
    So I guess I was totally wrong there, well I suppose I cant be right all the time can I :p

Nope, 'cos that would mean I wasnt. And being right all the time is a perk of being me:p

Nah, tbh I think they *do* want the job, as its a great way to get on the gravytrain. They just perform the job in a way which will give them the most money, and sod God's creation- politicians are definitely Beelzebub's children.
  • Options
    politicians are definitely Beelzebub's children

Hmmm, I suggest they are more the minions of purgatory.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Hmmm, I suggest they are more the minions of purgatory.

But as I think CEOs of multinationals are actually Beezlebub, Id have to disagree:p
  • Options
    Ahh well you didnt mention that crucial element of your equation. Yes, Id agree.

ALthough, in some cases politicians and CEOs are one and the same (Cheney and Rumsfeld for instance)
  • Options
    And they drag little kids round, old women and go knocking on peoples doors on a moring at 9:30am :mad:
    It can be persistantly raining and they still do it :confused:

sorry, I wasn't supporting the JWs I just picked them as a (bad)example for commitment to a cause, and contrasting that to how I see my MP working
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    Total scum those 281. Anyway of finding out whether my MP backed it or not?
    I too would be very very interested to know which ones vote din favour, if it was my MP I would write to her.

I did write to her once and she said she would "look into" the issues that I had raised. Sure enough, about three weeks later I got a postcard asking if I would ring her secretary so that her secretary could tell me her findings. No chance, why should I use my own telephone to phone her?? She had my phone number. Hmf.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    according to the bbc, the labour rebels are -

Harry Barnes
    Jeremy Corbyn
    Dr Ian Gibson
    Kelvin Hopkins
    Dr Lynne Jones
    John McDonnell
    Jim Marshall
    George Mudie
    Alan Simpson
    Robert Wareing
    So these are the only ones who voted against it from Labour?

:mad:
  • Options
    Well my MP isn't there but I wonder if he still had enough backbone to abstain/not turn up to the vote I tried the Parliament website to see if I could find voting records but they're very difficult to find if they're there... Anyone would think our elected representatives didn't want us to find out their voting records... :chin:
  • Options
    As far as I am aware, lists of ayes and noes are printed in Hansard, avaliable off the Parliament website.

But thats Labour for you- the Tories are much more honest. Not better, but more honest. I guess its a start :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Found it thanks Kermit - didn't know division votes were in Hansard. Here's the link for BumbleBee and whoever else wants to see how their MPs voted:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmhansrd/cm030623/debtext/30623-24.htm#30623-24_div245

Mine didn't turn up which I suppose is a start. Still seems rather cowardly, not having the courage to vote against on his principles thus allowing an unpopular piece of legislation through but still being able to go up to Joe Public and saying he didn't back it when challenged.

Hmmm I assume honest as in policy terms - in personality terms quite a few were downright dishonest, Hamilton, Archer, Aitken... But that's not necessarily a problem you have to admit politics was a lot more fun and interesting in the Major years with all the sleaze and a new MP being caught with either his hand in the till or trousers round his ankles or both. Plus the added bonus of watching the Conservative Party disintegrate before our very eyes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If you kept up with current affairs youd know exactly what I was talking about *nod* :p

Its about the 281 MPs who voted in favour of top-up fees for students. And how that, if I had my way, Id have them all executed. Id be a great Elizabethan monarch:D

So an MP must be rebuked for expressing their opinion?

What if it was not a free vote and the whips FORCED them to vote for it?

Besides, why should higher education be free?
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    What if it was not a free vote and the whips FORCED them to vote for it?

Well that amkes it worse- too scared of losing favour to stick up for the principles of a decent, honest nation. And if they honestly believe that top-up fees are good then death si too good for them, nazi filth that they are.

As for the Tories, I can think of four crooks, and only one of them was in Parliament. Archer, Aitken, Mellor were all personal crooks, it was only Hamilton who was political. In Labour Blair is a crook (Ecclestone's bribes), Mandelson is a crook (Hinduja passports, illegal loans), Ashton is a crook (brothel), the whole of Doncaster council is corrupt, as was Durham council, Cook is a crook (though only personal), Straw is a criminal, Short is as well, so is Beckett. Id always trust a Tory over a Blairite, and thats saying something.
  • Options
    My MP voted against top-up fees.

Alan Simpson voted in favour, that's very suprising!

I feel so disenchanted with this whole country's education system and the government whose plans will make the system even more biased.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    I feel so disenchanted with this whole country's education system and the government whose plans will make the system even more biased.

Thats theyre plan- they dont want their precioous children having to go to university with normal people. Weve gone full circle- having spent 200 years getting normal people into higher eductaion, this government has decided that only the rich can go.
  • Options
    Thats theyre plan- they dont want their precioous children having to go to university with normal people. Weve gone full circle- having spent 200 years getting normal people into higher eductaion, this government has decided that only the rich can go.

Oh and they're starting early. Primary school testing is disgustingly biased towards middle-class and upper-class children; so those who come from a less fortunate background are labelled as "stupid and unable" as early as possible. Hopefully that'll deter them from aspirations of going to uni eh?

It just saddens me education is not about learning anymore; it's all about statistics, league tables and money.
  • Options

Mine didn't turn up which I suppose is a start. Still seems rather cowardly, not having the courage to vote against on his principles thus allowing an unpopular piece of legislation through but still being able to go up to Joe Public and saying he didn't back it when challenged.
    Nor did mine and I agree wholeheartedly with your stance.
  • Options
    Well that amkes it worse- too scared of losing favour to stick up for the principles of a decent, honest nation. And if they honestly believe that top-up fees are good then death si too good for them, nazi filth that they are.

As for the Tories, I can think of four crooks, and only one of them was in Parliament. Archer, Aitken, Mellor were all personal crooks, it was only Hamilton who was political. In Labour Blair is a crook (Ecclestone's bribes), Mandelson is a crook (Hinduja passports, illegal loans), Ashton is a crook (brothel), the whole of Doncaster council is corrupt, as was Durham council, Cook is a crook (though only personal), Straw is a criminal, Short is as well, so is Beckett. Id always trust a Tory over a Blairite, and thats saying something.

Kermit I'm a member of the Labour Party and I'd trust a Tory over a Blairite, they may be wrong but at least they're honest. Archer rigged a trial, Aitken committed perjury how are they not political acts? B Liar is definitely a crook and always has been everything from his phoney smile to the Iraq dossier shows he is a vain, pompous liar. Mandelson is also a slimey little worm, most Labour people hate him anyway. Did Ashton run or visit a brothel? Even if he did run a brothel it's no more corrupt than all those Tory ministers who coincidentally happened to join the boards of major British firms after they were privatised. Doncaster Council is no more corrupt than Westminster Council was in the late 80s - Homes for Votes anyone? Local government is all corrupt to some degree even if it's just in their awarding of contracts, most councillors are too anonymous for anyone to properly scrutinise them and it isn't helped by the fact that a certain party will always remain in power even if their councillors are revealed to be devil worshipping traffic wardens who eat babies. How can you say Cook, Straw, Short and Beckett are criminals? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Oh and they're starting early. Primary school testing is disgustingly biased towards middle-class and upper-class children; so those who come from a less fortunate background are labelled as "stupid and unable" as early as possible. Hopefully that'll deter them from aspirations of going to uni eh?

It just saddens me education is not about learning anymore; it's all about statistics, league tables and money.

Why do you think we still have "catchment areas"? It's so whole estates are serviced by one sink school and there's no danger of them mixing with the ever so nice middle class kids from the avenues. Also while middle class and upper class families can afford to move to a better area to get them into the right schools working class families can't. League tables help with this - they show the parents which schools to aim for and which to avoid thus showing the middle class parents where to move to. I don't see why families shouldn't be able to choose their schools like they do with GPs and the money could go straight to the schools with the pupils instead of being wasted on LEA bureaucracy. All this talk about creating different types of schools, faith schools, language schools or whatever is just a stupid sideshow - keep the comprehensive system but let everyone into the good comps. SATS tests are just the most pointless tests ever devised and to be honest I don't think they'll be around much longer parents, pupils and teachers all hate them.
  • Options
    SATS tests are just the most pointless tests ever devised and to be honest I don't think they'll be around much longer parents, pupils and teachers all hate them.

Oh definitely, waste of children's time and teacher's time. So many schools cheat to up their position in league tables too. The main thing I disagree about them is that they're labelling children from a very young age and it's bound to effect their education from then on.

Even if parents could choose which school their child goes to, those from poorer backgrounds wouldn't be able to fund their child to travel there. The lack of resources in certain schools is appauling, mostly inner-city schools of course. The hierarchy is created a long time before university.