Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Education, Catholic or C of E ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Isnt it the same at all schools be it Catholic, C of E ?

Can I ask what you would do if you were in the same situation as I have been with Becks. Which school would you have sent her too?
    Personally, I would have sent her to the nearest school that I could get her into. I don't really care about exam results and uniforms when children are little!
    However, I fully understand your choice and my comments about schooling were aimed the education system, not you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Personally, I would have sent her to the nearest school that I could get her into. I don't really care about exam results and uniforms when children are little!

That really does suprise me.

Children actually learn a lot more in their early years, it gives them an extra advantage if they do well at school early on in their education, so I have been told.

Even if the school where she is now was a C of E school I would still have made that 20 min walk every morning to get her to school rather than let her go to the two schools near me which have not got good ofsted reports etc. I would not let her go to a school purely based on tests as I myself do not think you can base your choice purely on these because if you have 7 bright kids and 20 not so bright kids in a class then obviously the test results are not worth the paper they are written on, a teacher can only do so much.

I prefer uniforms for a couple of reasons. Firstly all the children are the same, they look very smart. On training outings they all wear the same clothes so they are easy to distinguish if a child happened to wander. I think it eliminates bullying to an extent because if little Johnnys mam cant afford reebok trainers it wont matter because none of the kids at school will be wearing them, its the same as named brands of clothing they cant wear it so kids are not going to get bullied because Johnny aint wearing decent joggers. Yes these children are only 7 now but they will be in this school till they are 12 so by the time they get to 10/11 yrs bullying about wearing cheap trainers will happen.
  • Options
    Becky, I'd do as you. But as it was mentioned before I wouldn't go thrpugh religious ceremonies which have no relevance to me. I see it as making fun of the religion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Becky, I'd do as you. But as it was mentioned before I wouldn't go thrpugh religious ceremonies which have no relevance to me. I see it as making fun of the religion.

Yeah I see where your coming from.
    Im just trying to let Becks be one of the kids if you know what I mean, I just didnt want her to *look* different infront of the other kids.
    It boils down to my own insecurities I think, im just in my way being over protective? yeah I think its me being over protective of her, because I dont want her picked on because she cant do it and her friends can.
    Hope that made sense :)
  • Options
    Becky - Don't know if you've answered this one yet..

How did you get the Catholic school to take your daughter? Where I live its very difficult to place a child in a school outside of your catchment area. I have a couple of friends who's parents tried to get them into a so called 'better' school but they were told they had to place their child into a school nearer to their home, rough or not!

Did you have to pretend shes catholic, or pay, or pass some kind of exam?

In some schools like these they end up with very bright kids who do really well and make the school look good because of the way they select them. Its kind of unfair on the other schools who instead of having a mix of abilities end up with a school full of 'rough' kids, yet its these kids (The ones lacking support at home) who would probably benefit the most from the better teaching in schools like the one your daughter is going to!

The education system is so unfair!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny

How did you get the Catholic school to take your daughter?

What happened is the school that I initially wanted her to go to was over subscribed so she didnt get a place. I telephoned this school and asked if they had any places left which they had, told them she was C of E and would there be a place for her. There was a place so she went.
    We did not have to pretend she is catholic, pay or pass any exam. They had places in the class so took her. To be honest she is in a smaller calss size compared to other schools, at last count I think there was 20 in her class, some class sizes are a lot bigger in other schools.
    Some parents tend to send their children to the school nearest them and dont really look at the school as a whole, I did take many things into consideration before just saying Shes going to whichever school.
  • Options
    Don't shoot me for asking, but doesnt this topic really belong in Anything Goes? Its not exactly a political topic.

just my two pence worth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Its not exactly a political topic.

Check exactly what this forum is now called.

Just my two pence worth also ;)
  • Options
    Okay I see your point. Id simply understood the "debate" aspect to still be related to politics (i.e. political debate).

Whatever...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Okay I see your point. Id simply understood the "debate" aspect to still be related to politics (i.e. political debate).

Whatever...

No, apparently Anything Goes is now reserved for revealing your grandmothers first name, telling about what you have consumed during the day, how many times aday you oee or buro, and the likes. God forbid that someone started a thread which requires more than two seconds of thought.
  • Options
    ahh okay, don't think Ive ever even looked in that forum, so ill take your word for it.
  • Options

In some schools like these they end up with very bright kids who do really well and make the school look good because of the way they select them. Its kind of unfair on the other schools who instead of having a mix of abilities end up with a school full of 'rough' kids, yet its these kids (The ones lacking support at home) who would probably benefit the most from the better teaching in schools like the one your daughter is going to!

The education system is so unfair!
    I completely agree with this, but whos going to make the first move and trust a school with a bad reputation to well educate their pride and joy? I know id be reluctant to. I am lucky as I am in the catchment area for a few good schools, but if I lived in the estate down the road, Id have a choice of 2 rough schools that have a lot of children with behavioural problems. I cant see how teachers in these schools would have the time or resources to take notice of clever well behaved children when there are children with problems causing havoc. All the resources would be spent on bringing the problem children up to an OK standard rather than encouraging bright children who dont shout as loudly for attention. I wouldnt put my child in a school like that, Im not bothered about sats results or ofsted reports particularly, but id prefer to choose a smaller school, with smaller classes, that focused on encouraging children to enjoy learning, and to have a pleasant learning experience, without pressure to perform. I dont mind religious education, as long as its not OTT and forced down their throats.
  • Options
    a bit off topic

but i think children should be tauht religious studies, as learning aobut different religions since lots of distrust comes from misunderstanding so if people knew what they moaning aobut they might shut up and form less recist views
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I was reading yesterday on Yahoo, that the belief in witchcraft and something else is on the rise in the UK. It reminded me of conversations on other teen websites in Canada etc. You know what a lot of people are basing their interest in it on? The t.v. show Charmed? Hello, it's a t.v. show!

But that rise in witchcraft thing does tell me that people seem to want to believe in something beyond this world. So if they are given a religion...they seem to create one...maybe just in the form of a set of beliefs.

Um... actually, witchcraft is a Pagan religion that pre-dates Christianity and was brought back, post war by Gerald Gardener (did I spell that right?). In fact, Wicca is a recognised religion. It does actually exist, I know, I'm Pagan and have a few Wiccan friends, people have been worshipping the Godess and the Horned god since before Jesus came along and one of the only reasons its coming to light now is because it's becoming more acceptable.

After all, Christianity did absolutely rape the religion and put such a horrible stigma on it. I can't be open about it where I live because of that (I have nothing against Christians or any other religion). In fact it isn't even portrayed in a good light on television and all these TV shows are simply entertainment. Some kids do take it seriously and one thing which worries me is that they relate them to reality. Pissing about with magick can be harmful and half the books of "love spells" are fake anyway.

But I never believed in the godess and the horned god because I wanted something more, it just felt right.

As for the Catholic school, my brother goes to one and came home crying his eyes out because he'd had about fifty people shoving him and calling him names because he's gay. I wouldn't want my kids in such a smothering environment... no offense.
  • Options
    When we were growing up in Ireland my parents decided to send my sister by bus to another village everyday so she could go to the protestant school because they didn't want her educated by Catholics! In an ideal world, as we weren't religious at all, I expect they would have tried to send her to a non-religious school but that was pretty impossible in the area we lived (though they did teach us at home for a number of years)

Anyway - apparently one day my sister went to play with some neighbouring kids and came home in tears....All the kids had told her she was going to die in the fiery pits of hell because she wasn't a Catholic! It wasn't that they were bullying her but that they really believed it was true! And they were able to describe these pits of hell in great and graphic detail! I'm not sure if Nuns still use this method of indoctrination but I would never send my kids to a school that did that.

Incidentally Becky - What mnakes you C of E?Do you believe in God? You say you are not a church goer. I know loads of people who when faced with the a form that gives the option of 'NONE' or 'C of E', when asked about religion, who always tick C of E yet they are not remotely religious!
  • Options
    Creeper getting called gay could happen in any enviroment, I dont think you can blame the catholic school for that one.

byny what makes me C of E, well to be honest all our family are, so obviously I follow suit. I dont go to church, im not interested in church if im to be 100% truthful here.
    Do I beleive in God ? shall I say very dissilusioned, Ive had many things happen in my life and to be honest Ive lost any faith I had.
    Many bad things (or what I call bad) and to be honest the final straw when I came to think thats it ive had enough with religion was when my son died. I went to the church for the funeral and ive never been back to the same church, I cant face going in there. At the funeral I very nearly lost it, I felt like saying some very strong words against our supposed god, who could let so many bad things happen to me.
    Ive been 100% honest with my feelings here, I dont really want people asking me to get into a deep debate because I will be going totally over my head. I have my feelings and I cant help the way I feel.
    byny catholic schools arent run by nuns now (not here anyway), the teachers are all very nice and would never condone any remarks like that. My Daughter has been told off for calling someone not so nice words as have lots of other children. They would never allow that type of behaviour (thats if they knew about it).

Edited to add I think im digging a bigger hole for myself. I know people are going to question me why my Daughter goes to a catholic school especially by what I have just written. How I see it is when she is old enough she will make her own decision on many things, religion obviously being one of them. So if she said to me I want to go to church every day of the week I would not stand in her way, just because I dont like something or agree with something I dont have the right to say she cant like.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    becky, if the catholic school is the best one in the area and it didn't mind taking your daughter then why should you feel embarrassed or guilty about sending her there - it sounds like your daughter will be far happier and receive better schooling there.

Its more about really im kind of a hypocrit arent I. Having said that I have her interests at heart and obvioulsy I want the best for Becks :)

• Options
    Hmmmm. So I AM right to believe that C of E these days actually means 'No religion'?

I remember when I was really young a teacher in a new school saying to my mum 'oh, Church of England then' when my mum replied 'none' to the question 'what is your Religion?' when filling in forms to register me in school!
  • Options
    Hmmmm. So I AM right to believe that C of E these days actually means 'No religion'?

You cant generalise everyone who is C of E.

Its the same as I have gone to Becks church service with her class. If she has been doing a reading which might happen once a month or so I have gone, purely so *Mammy came to see me* even though I did not really want to go. I had to go just for the sake of her.
  • Options

I remember when I was really young a teacher in a new school saying to my mum 'oh, Church of England then' when my mum replied 'none' to the question 'what is your Religion?' when filling in forms to register me in school!

:lol: So true you can't help but laugh!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    In all honesty I don't think religion should be taught in schools.

I would have loved to have gone to my local Catholic secondary school because it was/is brand new state of the art, but I couldn't because I just did not want to have five RE lessons a week and forced worship.

Yes but without the religions being taught, people are not aware of the many beliefs thus causing wars etc, you dont want to paticipate dont bother but others do.
  • Options
    If religion must be spoken about at all, let the children learn the History of World religions, as opposed to be taught (i.e. brainwashed) about one particular religion being 'the truth'.

Religious leaders would oppose this to their deaths because they're only too aware that most people who are not brainwashed and can look at the different religions from an objective and rational point of view quickly realise what incredible load of bollocks their claims are.

Only by trapping them when young and subjecting them to a systematic and permanent brainwashing can these sects guarantee new blood.

Barely about half of Americans believe in Evolution, and more than a third are actually Creationists. Only by intense brainwashing when a person is most vulnerable can anyone be made believe such immensely absurd notion is the truth. The same can be said of many other things, from pre-marital sex to eating pork to same sex relationships... As if god would give a flying fuck whether someone enjoys a ham sandwich or a shag with a person of the same sex.

Religion ruin lives. If we must consent it altogether let's at least protect our children from religious programming and allow them to have a choice to believe (or not to) when they reach adulthood.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Creeper getting called gay could happen in any enviroment, I dont think you can blame the catholic school for that one.

So when a Catholic school teacher tells kids that it's Ok that they're gay, but can never have sex because basically it'll send them to hell, there's nothing wrong with this?

Yeah, we have a Catholic school in the area and I would sooner send my kids to one of the rougher schools than to be taught about hellfire and sin. A friend of mine swore in class and was forced to pray for forgiveness! Another protested in class when they said that abortion was wrong in all cases (he said that value of life came first) and was sent out. Any somebody else went to protest against the war and they said to him when he got back "you horrible horrible boy! your friend's out fighting in the gulf... and do you want him to die??? Do you??"

Personally, I'd rather that religious studies should be made optional, rather than rammed down the kid's throat... it's no better than Hitler brainwashing people to be nazis, in my opinion.
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    Yes but without the religions being taught, people are not aware of the many beliefs thus causing wars etc, you dont want to paticipate dont bother but others do.
    Aye but a lot of wars are going on because or people's religious beliefs. Look at the Israel v. Palestine war that's been going on for centuries. War is often about power these days anyway. But yeah, I believe that there should be two choices once you've arrived at secondary school... religious studies or social studies.