Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

God

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    Okay,so whats going to happen at the end? Just die and thats it, the end of an era .

So only emotionally unhealthy people need to create the notion of an afterlife?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Why should a person believe in god?

for the same reasons as someone who doesn't.
    Education, understanding, hope, reason, purpose, need I go on?
    Where is your god when you are in pain? ... Why is there so much crap in the world?

your missing the point, we have not been created/evolved as robots but we have been created/evolved with freedom of choice, whether you believe in a God or not.

What is the average age? about 70. in the book of Genesis people lived to be hundreds of years old, but becasue of sin God then limits life to 70 years.
    Why do good people die?

for the same reasons as everyone, we are mortals, human.

For people that believe in God, death is not death. there are two things that science has not been able to answer. Why do we die? How could we live for ever? the Bible and other holy scriptures give answers to both these questions.

Bumblebee and monocrat have either of you actually read the Bible? If you want to be a detractor for something, I challenge you to study that which you want to detract

faith is blind in the sense that "faith is believing in things unseen", but my faith is far from blind.

I believe God exists. I am a rational person.

please note: I say "I believe God exists" not "God exists"

Nothing ever happens without a cause. This is a fundamental law of science. It is also plain common sense
  • Options
    I used to be an atheist , no belief in God , no belief in soul or arterlife etc.

After much thought and debate , I now beleive in God.

Faith in God makes life much simpler.

Faith in God gives you strength , hope and purpose in life.

Being an atheist was a miserable existance , without any hope of an afterlife , no chance of heaven , no belief that God was beside you always.

Science will never be able to explain everything , atheists will never be able to prove that God does not exist.

I now pity atheists.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs
    Bumblebee and monocrat have either of you actually read the Bible? If you want to be a detractor for something, I challenge you to study that which you want to detract
    Yes I have. I know it doesn't sound much, but I got an A*in GCSE RE and know more than most Christains about their own religion, so do not presume to tell me I am ignorant of your beliefs.
  • Options
    Yes I have. I know it doesn't sound much, but I got an A*in GCSE RE and know more than most Christains about their own religion, so do not presume to tell me I am ignorant of your beliefs.

a simple yes would have been fine.

you haven't asked me what I believe, you don't know me, therefore I can only assume you are ignorant of my beliefs.
  • Options
    a simple yes would have been fine.

you haven't asked me what I believe, you don't know me, therefore I can only assume you are ignorant of my beliefs.
    Ah yes, but had I said "yes" you would have not believed me, and do not pretend you would.

I haven't asked you what you believe because I have not addressed anything you have said at all. I also have not asked you because, to be quite frank, I really don't care. And not caring doesn't mean I don't know or understnad your beliefs.

Belief in a god or higher being can be comforting, but I choose not to waste my life being that naive.
  • Options
    Ah yes, but had I said "yes" you would have not believed me, and do not pretend you would.

:rolleyes: are you trying to patronise me?
    I haven't asked you what you believe because I have not addressed anything you have said at all. I also have not asked you because, to be quite frank, I really don't care.

:rolleyes: they why are you wasting your time in this thread?

And not caring doesn't mean I don't know or understnad your beliefs.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you do not know what I believe (apart from I believe in God, which isn't really a lot to go on is it?), so how can you understand what i believe?
  • Options
    Yes I believe we just die. :rolleyes:

I pity you because you have such blind faith in something without being able to rationalise it. Where is your god when you are in pain? Why do good people die? Why is there so much crap in the world? Simple, people suck. A loving god would not design people who sucked surely?

No i dont have blind faith...i believe there is a God because i am a Christian and have faith.
    God is watching down on us when we are in pain, to see how we are coping with these situations, do u think we can just live our whole life without any pain or suffering, its all part of this life on earth.
    There is so much crap in the world because of what people do, not God..God dosen't make us kill others, cause wars, be racist,etc.. its up to us people to make a change, not God, we are the ones who are living here on earth and only us can make the change.
  • Options
    Nobody has really come up with a good explanation of why they believe in god.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: are you trying to patronise me?
    I think you need to look up the meaning of the word to be honest, as what you were referring to was in no way patronising, I was merely pointing out a fact. Most conversations would go:
    "Have you read the Bible?"
    "Yes"
    "Why would you have read it if you are not a xtn?"
  • Options
    I think you need to look up the meaning of the word to be honest, as what you were referring to was in no way patronising, I was merely pointing out a fact. Most conversations would go:
    "Have you read the Bible?"
    "Yes"
    "Why would you have read it if you are not a xtn?"

I do not want his to be a slagging match

patronise: to behave or treat in a condescending way
    patronising: having a superior manor, condescending
    condescend: to act graciously towards another or others regarded as being on a lower lever.

I felt you were calling me a liar and being all-superior.

I am not "most people"
    I know lots of people who have read the Bible who aren't Christians.

I feel you make too many character judgements about me without knowing anything about me. Please don't paint me with the same brush as "most people" I am a unique individual, as are you and, I am glad of that.

Those people who have answered why they believe have given good explanations of why the believe in God. That is: a good explanations for them, I understand and respect that these might not be good reasons for you.

Bumblebee, sorry if I have pissed you off, I enjoy a good debate, but do not enjoy listening/reading unfounded statements based on sweeping generalisations.

I respect and not pity you not believing in God. in return please respect and not pity those that do.

:)
  • Options
    Re: Re: God
    I don't think people who don't believe in a god should have to defend their beliefs. I think people who believe in god should have to say why!!

God does not exist. I am a rational person.

I believe humans needed to explain their existence. Belief in a god has traditionally explained away everything that humanity could not explain for itself. These days science has explained many of those things.

I know this post is old but I have a found a mighty higher being who can prove god does not exist :D , hello there, who are you to imply there is not god? How the hell do you know for sure that no higher being is out there somewhere?

Most scientist's are not atheist, but are agnostic, no one can know for sure what is out there. We are just mere mortals, with a short life, so how are we intelligent enough to know what is out there for sure.

I am studying Science, and have recently discovered the Quran, it describes the embryo and Creation in a way the bible never can. I'm not claiming it be the word of god but it is truly amazing read.

I believe in the big bang, but I WON'T rule God out of the equation.
  • Options

I haven't asked you what you believe because I have not addressed anything you have said at all. I also have not asked you because, to be quite frank, I really don't care. And not caring doesn't mean I don't know or understnad your beliefs.

Belief in a god or higher being can be comforting, but I choose not to waste my life being that naive.

It's not the fact that it is comforting, it is the fact that nothing can be ruled out. It's not being naive, but open-minded, seeing isn't always believing, you can't see electricity but we believe it, remember god might be like electricity. I always find atheists to be narrow-minded, yet they moan about people who believe in god, and why they believe what the can't see. Agnostics on the other hand are more open-minded and I dare say, more intelligent.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: God
    Originally posted by patrick mccourt
    I am studying Science, and have recently discovered the Quran, it describes the embryo and Creation in a way the bible never can.

Really? Where? Can you quote it please?
  • Options
    Originally posted by patrick mccourt
    It's not the fact that it is comforting, it is the fact that nothing can be ruled out. It's not being naive, but open-minded, seeing isn't always believing, you can't see electricity but we believe it, remember god might be like electricity. I always find atheists to be narrow-minded, yet they moan about people who believe in god, and why they believe what the can't see. Agnostics on the other hand are more open-minded and I dare say, more intelligent.

Occam's Razor? Isn't God a more complex hypothesis?
  • Options
    no one person who believes in God can give a reason, that is a "good" reason in the eyes of an atheist.

belief in God is faith, something you either have or you havn't.
    I do not have faith, and consider myself no worse off for it, but also do not look down upon people who do.

Those I do frown upon are people who use relegious beliefs / faiths as a reason or an excuse for persecusion, violence, fanaticism, war, hatred etc. It comletely disgusts me that some thing that is supposed to enlighted ones life can come down to such acts.

(you only need to look at how some of the less educated islamic masses have had their faith used by those in power, to pursuad them that suicide bombing, and murder, war even, is the will of Allah.)
  • Options
    Atheism is self-refuting, and it's philosophically well documented to be so. You many not be sure about God, but you can't ever be sure that there isn't one.
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean by the self-refuting comment, but i definitely agree that you cannot prove that there is not a God or higher being. Until science proves and documents every single process that occurs on earth- including all thinking processes etc, you cannot disprove the existence of God. even when all things are documented, science is never concrete and still open to change.
  • Options
    This thread is over a year old :eek2:
  • Options
    Allahu Ackbar!
  • Options
    Originally posted by minimi38
    Allahu Ackbar!

your really witty arent you [/sarcasm]
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Icy Aphrodite
    your really witty arent you [/sarcasm]

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/your.html

and Sikhism makes the most sense to me - that it doesn't matter what religion it is it's just the same thing at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    Not sure what you mean by the self-refuting comment, but i definitely agree that you cannot prove that there is not a God or higher being. Until science proves and documents every single process that occurs on earth- including all thinking processes etc, you cannot disprove the existence of God. even when all things are documented, science is never concrete and still open to change.

talk about it over the holidays babe? It is self-refuting, but a little complicated.
  • Options
    Would like to point out noone can disprove that I am in fact god.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    You many not be sure about God, but you can't ever be sure that there isn't one.
    Totally agree.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Occam's Razor? Isn't God a more complex hypothesis?
    Occam's Razor:
    The simplest explanation tends to be the most true one.
    If it said "always is" instead of "tends", you'd have a point.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    talk about it over the holidays babe? It is self-refuting, but a little complicated.

i mean i don't think i understand what self-refuting as itself means :p

blondie here, remember?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    i mean i don't think i understand what self-refuting as itself means :p

blondie here, remember?!

It proves itself to be wrong sweetheart
  • Options
    Which is why I'm agnostic. Believers cannot "prove" there is a god either.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Now we agree.
  • Options

yea same here, i really despise it when some holy joe tries to convince you there is a god and i also despise it when some atheist head tries to convince you otherwise, shut up please.
This discussion has been closed.