Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

God

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Debate

How many people actually believe in God?
I do believe in God, its just who I am, I do have faith.

If you dont believe in God, what are your reasons for no belief?

Comments

• Options
    I swing from agnosticism to atheism. Today I'm in a quite atheistic mood. I don't believe 'God' exists.

There simply is no (nor ever will be) proof for 'his' existence. I also don't see how believing in 'God' can enhance one's life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    There simply is no (nor ever will be) proof for 'his' existence. I also don't see how believing in 'God' can enhance one's life.

that is very subjective - talk to someone who believes in creation and the proof is everywhere.

How do you explain fibonacci's scale for example.

I believe in God

I find that it does enhance my life, it teaches respect, moderation, self control, patience, understanding, perspective, and so on
  • Options
    I believe in God but I don't believe in religion. I have my own set of beliefs and principals as to how I want to live my life and just as I don't seek to impose my beliefs on anyone else I don't want those beliefs imposed on me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs

How do you explain fibonacci's scale for example.

Me and a friend wrote a poem, with a composition based on the fibonacci scale :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Me and a friend wrote a poem, with a composition based on the fibonacci scale :D

What is this fibonacci scale you all speak of?

I used to believe in God but since I was 14 I've had my eyes opened a lot more and realise that without organised religion a lot of the problems in the world today wouldn't exist.

I still have a balanced sense of morality though and think it's easily acheivable without having to adhere to a certain religion.
  • Options
    a lot of the problems in the world today wouldn't exist.

Like what, catholics and protestants fighting one another and the like of it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    Like what, catholics and protestants fighting one another and the like of it.

To a certain extent. They wouldn't be able to use it as an excuse. And generally religion is too easy to be misinterpreted as reason to not tolerate many aspects of life.
  • Options
    True Tim, but of course anyone who seriously examines the matter will see that the religious (or more rightly, the denominational ) pretext for the conflict is and always has been nothing more than a smokescreen for the much more deep seated conflict between flagrant nationalism and the descendents of imperial colonialisation.

If it were truly religious in nature, then one might expect the issue to be addressed to the clerics and leaderships of both denominations to emphasize Christian unity and brotherhood to their constituents as a means of overcoming petty differences in creed and dogma.

Fact is the problem and those who fuel it are pundits of a political order, not a spiritual one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    What is this fibonacci scale you all speak of?

0 +1 = 1
    1+1= 2
    1+2=3
    2+3 = 5

etc.
  • Options
    I don't believe in God. I do believe there is something higher that humans cannot and never will grasp or know of, but I don't believe it is in the form of a figure that created us and guides us.

For me too many contradictions lie within religion and it can be abused, I just haven't really identified with any. I respect the fact that for so many people it provides faith and basis. People should choose to believe in whatever they wish to. Sometimes I do wonder if it would make a difference to my life, but I just feel it doesn't really belong in my life.
  • Options
    in many ways i find that religion is just a way for people to explain their and others failings and a way to in some ways escape reality. I also dont believe there is a god, nor do i believe in jesus.#, and yes i did waste an re exam trying to prove god doesnt exist to the examiner in writing...... crazy i know

i would also like to point out just how hypocrytical religions are, especially christianity. christians attempt to take the moral high ground on issues such as discrimination yet overlook the crusades ( which was done by christians for christians to get rid of "unbelievers"). Then there is the number of christains who criticise islam for i quote from a christian i know " choosing the bits of their religion which suit them", isnt this what christians do as different christians follow different parts of the bible and have similar but slightly different beliefs??????

I would like to take this oppurtunity to point out just how many wars have been fought due to religion
    1) THE CRUSADES
    2)VARIOUS MEDIEVAL MINOR WARS AND CONFLICTS
    3) THE SECOND WORLD WAR ( THE HOLOCAUST, ANTI-SEMITISM ETC)
    4) ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICTS WHICH HAVE BEEN RUNNING FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG
    5) AFGHANISTAN ( TALEBAN BEING A FUNDAMENTAL ORGANISATION)
    6) IRAQ ( BUSH IS AN EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN AND DISLIKES ISLAM BIG STYLE)

yet people still tell me religion is a good thing??????
    have i made myself clear enough

Disclaimer

this post is not meant to offend but is just written purely to state my opinion and point of view so apologies if anyone is offended by it, feel free to prove me wrong
  • Options
    that is very subjective - talk to someone who believes in creation and the proof is everywhere.

Is it?

The 'intelligent design' of the universe could easily have come about by accident.
  • Options
    In the words of the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy:

God: I will not prove I exist, for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing.

I believe in God, or at least I believe there is someone looking out for me and that there is somewhere I will go to when I die. My beliefs are very personal to me. I guess you could say I believe in belief. I think that it doesn't matter if someone else's beliefs are different to mine. There is no right or wrong. What matters to me is that I believe in something.
  • Options
    Can I just point out that God and religion are two different things and the question asked if you believed in God. As for myself, right now I'm agnostic, and to an extent I believe everyone is agnostic. My beliefs change all the time.
  • Options
    Is it?

The 'intelligent design' of the universe could easily have come about by accident.

:lol: so why hasn't it happened everywhere in the whole universe on every planet and more that once. and why can't scientist with immense capactity and intelligence replicate any of it?
    Originally posted by f u d
    I would like to take this oppurtunity to point out just how many wars have been fought due to religion
    1) THE CRUSADES
    2)VARIOUS MEDIEVAL MINOR WARS AND CONFLICTS
    3) THE SECOND WORLD WAR ( THE HOLOCAUST, ANTI-SEMITISM ETC)

fair point: that is relgion, but I am not reponsible for those that have gone before me or those that go after me. I am personally responsible for my own actions and no-one elses. Bible wisdom says I should work out my own salvation with wisdon (fear(not afraid fear but respect fear)) and understanding.

but as hunnypot says God and religion are different things, God does not cause all the problems of the world. Humans do (by gread and selfishness), the Bible (and other Holy scriptures) teach that humans have been created with free will, therfore God is not the cause.

Koolcat thank you for a good post. I think there is right and wrong, I don't know what it is (so I don't judge, even if I did, I still wouldn't judge, the wisdon of the Bible says not to judge(and look what happens when we do)), so I do the best I can with the skills and understanding I have and what I am a guardian of in this life.
  • Options
    Me 2.

My belief helps me not be jealous of what others have and helps me deal with death.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Me 2.

My belief helps me not be jealous of what others have and helps me deal with death.
    plus the fact that god is always on your side ...
  • Options
    Re: God
    Debate

How many people actually believe in God?
    I do believe in God, its just who I am, I do have faith.

Lack of construct.
  • Options
    why are there no cows on the moon?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    why are there no cows on the moon?

Because they all fell off.
  • Options
    Yes wars have been caused because of religion, it is not God's fault, it is humans who fire the trigger,make the decisions..not God.
  • Options
    Re: God

I don't think people who don't believe in a god should have to defend their beliefs. I think people who believe in god should have to say why!!

God does not exist. I am a rational person.

I believe humans needed to explain their existence. Belief in a god has traditionally explained away everything that humanity could not explain for itself. These days science has explained many of those things.
  • Options
    Re: Re: God
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I don't think people who don't believe in a god should have to defend their beliefs. I think people who believe in god should have to say why!!

God does not exist. I am a rational person.

I believe humans needed to explain their existence. Belief in a god has traditionally explained away everything that humanity could not explain for itself. These days science has explained many of those things.

I believe in God and i believe because i believe we come from somewhere and will go somewhere, i dont know where that is but we will go somewhere with God in heaven, no one knows what heaven is like, only the people who are there.
    There is too much writings and whatnot for there not to be a God, if there isnt then why are we here? We are here as a test on this earth, to see how we can respond to all these life situations.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: God
    I believe in God and i believe because i believe we come from somewhere and will go somewhere,
    Yeah, we come from our father's sperm and our mother's egg. We will go into the ground when buried and decompose or our ashes will sit in a vase on the mantlepiece.

I think belief in a god is naive. This is your life. Live it.

God does not exist.
  • Options
    :lol: so why hasn't it happened everywhere in the whole universe on every planet and more that once. and why can't scientist with immense capactity and intelligence replicate any of it?

How is intelligent design proof of God's existence?

A better question is why SHOULD a person believe in God?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: God
    Yeah, we come from our father's sperm and our mother's egg. We will go into the ground when buried and decompose or our ashes will sit in a vase on the mantlepiece.

I think belief in a god is naive. This is your life. Live it.

God does not exist.

Yes we do come from our fathers sperm and mothers egg but where has the original person who started out the family cycle come from, how did it all start?

Yes this is my life and i will live it and will believe God does exist.
  • Options
    How is intelligent design proof of God's existence?

A better question is why SHOULD a person believe in God?

A person should believe in God through their own personal beliefs and reasons, it gives people a sense of purpose in living, gives us hope that there is something at the end, that death is not the end.
  • Options
    A person should believe in God through their own personal beliefs and reasons, it gives people a sense of purpose in living, gives us hope that there is something at the end, that death is not the end.

Why should a person believe in god?
    I have a sense of purpose in living. I do not believe in god. I have morals and faith, but I don't believe in god and my faith is not in something that I believe to be a myth.
    Yes this is my life and i will live it and will believe God does exist.
    Good for you. I don't believe there is a god. You did ask and I replied. I also don't think any less of you for believing in god, although a part of me feels slight pity..... :p
  • Options
    Why should a person believe in god?
    I have a sense of purpose in living. I do not believe in god. I have morals and faith, but I don't believe in god and my faith is not in something that I believe to be a myth.

Good for you. I don't believe there is a god. You did ask and I replied. I also don't think any less of you for believing in god, although a part of me feels slight pity..... :p

Okay,so whats going to happen at the end? Just die and thats it, the end of an era .

Why do u feel pity towards me? I believe, you dont.
  • Options
    Okay,so whats going to happen at the end? Just die and thats it, the end of an era .

Why do u feel pity towards me? I believe, you dont.
    Yes I believe we just die. :rolleyes:

I pity you because you have such blind faith in something without being able to rationalise it. Where is your god when you are in pain? Why do good people die? Why is there so much crap in the world? Simple, people suck. A loving god would not design people who sucked surely?
This discussion has been closed.