Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

God

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Debate

How many people here actually believe in God?
I do believe in God, its just who I am, I do have faith.

If you dont believe in God, what are your reasons for no belief?

Comments

• Options
    Im an aethiest. This is mainly for personal reasons and situations, but also for the scientifics of it all, and even more so for the practicalities.

There's lots of theory behind my different ideas of whether there is or isnt a god, but I am certain in my own belief, and have faith in other things which are of more importance and relevance to myself.
  • Options
    Re: God
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    Debate

How many people actually believe in God?
    I ?
    three.
  • Options
    ok mr roll, if we're getting technical, I am in fact waiting for goddot. If that counts.
  • Options
    so that makes about three and a seventh of a fifth if my calculations are correct
  • Options
    I'm an agnostic :yes:
  • Options
    Whats an agnostic?:confused:
  • Options
    Hooray, I was hoping someone would ask that :D

agnostic noun a person who believes that it is impossible to know whether God exists.

Yay for me and my dictionary :)

I perch very happily on the fence on this issue, although I do sway a little toward theism in that I think there must be some kind of God, greater being, meaning of life, and so on. I don't think you can rely on science alone for everything. There's a theory, the name of it is on the tip of my tongue, I think it was by Thomas Aquinas or something; it's something along the lines of 'the big bang started the universe, but what started the big bang?', that sort of principle (long time since I studied RE). Anyway when I read it, it seemed to fit in well with both science and religion, and like I already said, science can't explain everything - what DID start the big bang, and what started what started the big bang, and so on. There is of course the issue of 'if God created the universe, who/what created God'. It's far too big an issue for me to get my head around to be perfectly honest, which is why I would describe myself as an agnostic - I do not firmly believe that yes, there IS a God, but I also can't say for definate that no, there ISN'T a God.

It's also 2.15am, so it's not a good time to try and get the brain ticking over..

Edit: Because Badabing pointed out my confusion of theism and atheism :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura

It's also 2.15am, so it's not a good time to try and get the brain ticking over..
    oh my god ... goodnight!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    Hooray, I was hoping someone would ask that :D

agnostic noun a person who believes that it is impossible to know whether God exists.

Yay for me and my dictionary :)

I perch very happily on the fence on this issue, although I do sway a little toward atheism in that I think there must be some kind of God, greater being, meaning of life, and so on. I don't think you can rely on science alone for everything. There's a theory, the name of it is on the tip of my tongue, I think it was by Thomas Aquinas or something; it's something along the lines of 'the big bang started the universe, but what started the big bang?', that sort of principle (long time since I studied RE). Anyway when I read it, it seemed to fit in well with both science and religion, and like I already said, science can't explain everything - what DID start the big bang, and what started what started the big bang, and so on. There is of course the issue of 'if God created the universe, who/what created God'. It's far too big an issue for me to get my head around to be perfectly honest, which is why I would describe myself as an agnostic - I do not firmly believe that yes, there IS a God, but I also can't say for definate that no, there ISN'T a God.

"Atheism is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods. This absence of belief generally comes about either through deliberate choice, or from an inherent inability to believe religious teachings which seem literally incredible. It is not a lack of belief born out of simple ignorance of religious teachings.

Some atheists go beyond a mere absence of belief in gods: they actively believe that particular gods, or all gods, do not exist. Just lacking belief in Gods is often referred to as the "weak atheist" position; whereas believing that gods do not (or cannot) exist is known as "strong atheism"."

- atheism is where you do not believe in a god at all.

- agnostic is where you are inconclusive as to whether there is a god or not due to the lack of 'evidence'. agnostic people often believe that maybe there was a great man who did great things, not neccessarily miracles (Jesus), but there is no god for example. so they can believe somethings but not all.
  • Options
    I don't believe. My brothers were a strong influence and nothing in this country supports strong faith. With the exception of that tv station. ;] And in general.. I just don't believe. I mean, do I really need a reason as of whether to believe in something like a god or not? =P
  • Options
    i like to consider myself the just in case believer. like i dont' believe in god, i'm not going to get into the reasons why, but somewhere at the back of my blank dusty mind is the thought that maybe there is a god, so when i die, if there is a god, i can still say i believed :p

one thing i *do not* believe in though is religion...
  • Options
    I believe in God, but my faith is really not there as of right now. My faith has been really, really shakey ever since my mother died. Has kind of faultered a lot more then what it used to be.
  • Options
    I kinda beleive in god, but i think of him like the person who controls fate. Like he has a huge script for us and is writing down everything we do :D so everything that happens happens for a reason. :)
  • Options
    I believe in god.

I dont believe in the bible.
  • Options
    I think I believe in God - it's a comforting thought that there's someone Up There to look after us all. However, I'm not particularly religious and I've had a somewhat bad experience with an evangelist boyfriend who dumped me after a relationship lasting over a year, because his bastarding church youth group told him I was a heathen and a bad influence.

So I don't like evangelists. Oh, no. :no:
  • Options
    ahaha, why did they tell him you were a heathen?

"I cant go out with you any more, my church says ill go to hell"

ahahahahaha
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ally Your Pally
    ahaha, why did they tell him you were a heathen?

"I cant go out with you any more, my church says ill go to hell"

ahahahahaha
    You laugh. They actually said that, and worse.
  • Options
    oh do tell. Im curious now.

What were thier reasons?
  • Options
    They are an evangelist youth group which is fanatical and cult-like. All their members spend every single friday night at church listening to bible readings and talks from 'Christians'. Needless to say, these guys aren't proper Christians - look up a thread form a coupla weeks back, 'Christians - Pah!', it'll explain a bit. The group is run by young people in their 20s, and it dictates a very scary set of rules and believes. Extremism. Gay people are sick, you may only marry another Christian, you must not go to the pub because it's illegal (we were 17) and you'll go to hell, you must not XYZ because you'll go to hell, your life may be miserable because you should spend its entirety trying to be as good as Jesus but you can never succeed and your only purpose on this earth is to spread the word of Christianity, but at least when you die you'll be happy because you may go to heaven.
    The group teaches its members that they are better than 'non-Christians' and that other religions are all wrong, and they will all go to hell. Even if you are a brilliant person, you could go to hell - Mother Teresa might, for example, because she wasn't a Christian.

Anyway, the relevance of all that is that my boyfriend was lured into that group at the age of about 13 and when I met him, aged 16, I was unaware of this - he was a lovely guy, if a little uptight, so we started going out. Our entire relationship was overshadowed by the church group because he'd told them about me and said I didn't go to church every sunday and wasn't really a 'proper' Christian, so they told him he shouldn't go out with me. After 14months of struggle and me thinking he had more backbone than he had, they finally got to him and he dumped me. End of.

And I felt really shit because they'd made me feel like a bad influence and someone inferior.

So, that was Wednesday morning's happy story :D Now where were we? Oh yes, God. I believe in him but I don't believe some of the people who commit crimes against peoples emotions in His name.
  • Options
    I believe in a friendly spirit watching over me
  • Options
    i believe in God, i was brought up muslim however i do not actively practise my religion (very often). the point made earlier about science and religion being slightly separate is however in my opinion slightly different as many things mentioned in the qur'an (muslim holy book written nearly 1500years ago) is still being found out today by scientists. one example is the fetal development in the womb which believe it or not is explained fully in there. i do not however agree with extremists or ppl who condemn others for their lack of religious practise because in the end its got nowt to do with them...its just urself and God.

btw i'm in a weird mood and its early hence the weirdness

editted cos: i'm still shite at spelling
  • Options
    I do believe but i dont believe we have to act and work the way Jesus did, he was a different person from the rest of humans.
    I didn't go to church every sunday and wasn't really a 'proper' Christian, so they told him he shouldn't go out with me. After 14months

You dont have to go to Church every Sunday to be a proper Christian, people can communicate with God in their own personal way and dosen't have to be going to mass all the time, saying that i do go to Church every Sunday though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun2002

You dont have to go to Church every Sunday to be a proper Christian, people can communicate with God in their own personal way and dosen't have to be going to mass all the time, saying that i do go to Church every Sunday though.
    Seconded.
    But these people believed that you DO have to do that. As I said, they were extremist and in my opinion not real, true Christians.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    They are an evangelist youth group which is fanatical and cult-like. All their members spend every single friday night at church listening to bible readings and talks from 'Christians'. Needless to say, these guys aren't proper Christians - look up a thread form a coupla weeks back, 'Christians - Pah!', it'll explain a bit. The group is run by young people in their 20s, and it dictates a very scary set of rules and believes. Extremism. Gay people are sick, you may only marry another Christian, you must not go to the pub because it's illegal (we were 17) and you'll go to hell, you must not XYZ because you'll go to hell, your life may be miserable because you should spend its entirety trying to be as good as Jesus but you can never succeed and your only purpose on this earth is to spread the word of Christianity, but at least when you die you'll be happy because you may go to heaven.
    The group teaches its members that they are better than 'non-Christians' and that other religions are all wrong, and they will all go to hell. Even if you are a brilliant person, you could go to hell - Mother Teresa might, for example, because she wasn't a Christian.

Anyway, the relevance of all that is that my boyfriend was lured into that group at the age of about 13 and when I met him, aged 16, I was unaware of this - he was a lovely guy, if a little uptight, so we started going out. Our entire relationship was overshadowed by the church group because he'd told them about me and said I didn't go to church every sunday and wasn't really a 'proper' Christian, so they told him he shouldn't go out with me. After 14months of struggle and me thinking he had more backbone than he had, they finally got to him and he dumped me. End of.

And I felt really shit because they'd made me feel like a bad influence and someone inferior.

So, that was Wednesday morning's happy story :D Now where were we? Oh yes, God. I believe in him but I don't believe some of the people who commit crimes against peoples emotions in His name.

ahahahahahahhaha the boy has no free will. If those people can control his life, what he does, when he does it, and who he does and doesnt go out with, he has no soul, which in a sense totally defeats the purpose of being on the earth to begin with.

Leave him to his brainwashing cult.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ally Your Pally
    ahahahahahahhaha the boy has no free will. If those people can control his life, what he does, when he does it, and who he does and doesnt go out with, he has no soul, which in a sense totally defeats the purpose of being on the earth to begin with.

Leave him to his brainwashing cult.
    :yes: Well, I did. I feel sorry for him though - he can be a really nice person, but they've taken over his life. With any luck, he might get away from them when he goes to uni and then sort his life out a bit.

I'm not really in touch with him any more, but from time to time I hear of him and apparently he's still just as caught up in the church group. Silly people. Argh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    They are an evangelist youth group which is fanatical and cult-like. All their members spend every single friday night at church listening to bible readings and talks from 'Christians'.

okay

They are football supporters group which is fanatical and cult-like. All their members spend every single Wednesday night at a match, Thursday night down the park playing and friday night at the pub listening to people talk about football who are 'supporters'.

so I chose football, but if we put anything someone does under the same microscope, there are lots of similarities.

Perfect day, sorry about what happened to you

As I have said on a couple of these threads what annoys me is that people say the Bible says something (often misquoting) and they actually haven't read it, or took it completely out of context.

I believe in God. I don't think religion is that bad. we are eager to condemn it as the cause of so many problems, but as Clan has said in the other God thread
    anyone who seriously examines the matter will see that the religious (or more rightly, the denominational ) pretext for the conflict is and always has been nothing more than a smokescreen for the much more deep seated conflict between flagrant nationalism and the descendents of imperial colonialisation.

people hide behind religion to get what they want, to serve their own needs.

for example (sorry its football again) football hooligans use football as a medium to be violent
  • Options
    and in my opinion not real, true Christians

Def not real Christians.
  • Options
    I do believe in God and I'll tell you why.
    Just look at the world. The way all the plants and animals interact with each other in the big circle of life. Surely there was some intelligence behind this. Nature seems (to me) far too organised to have been some sort of accident or coincidence.
    I belive God made animals, which ate plants (and other animals) and breathed oxygen. Then he made plants to make oxygen for us to breath, and to use as food.
  • Options
    Poor you perfect***day. I used to be a Catholic, but as I got older I found it hard to feel comfortable aligning myself with the catholic church as an institution, which I believe to be corrupt. I still believe in God. I started going to a friends church (mad evangelists) and now can't seem to get away from them. I am trying to leave, because they are pushing me further away from God and that makes me sad. Also, I'm bloody fed up of having to pretend to be a virgin who never drinks!!!!
  • Options
    Speak of the devil!! That was the youth group leader on the phone. I know this is away from the topic (sorry) but how do I get away from these people (preferably without a confrontation!)