Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

St. Georges Day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you believe the government/local authorities should be doing more to mark this day or should it be left to individuals?

Comments

• Options
    Smacks of scary nationalism to me.
  • Options
    England must be the only country in the world that doesn't mark its national day/patron saint day with a bank holiday. I have never understood that.

Even though I am not patriotic in any way, the day should be marked with a holiday and some official events. It's up to the individuals to join or ignore the celebrations.
  • Options
    Is St Patricks day scary nationalism? Or are other celebrations ok as long as its not the english?

The suppression of st georges day is nothing more than racism, pure and simple.
  • Options
    Have you seen what the BNP are doing ro St Georges day

www.britishnationalparty.org.uk
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Is St Patricks day scary nationalism? Or are other celebrations ok as long as its not the english?

The suppression of st georges day is nothing more than racism, pure and simple.

suppressed or just ignored. Maybe we are all a little guilty.
  • Options
    Who gives a flying fuck what the BNP are up to? Certainly not me. Are you suggesting that St Georges day in England is inextricably linked with racists? Am I racist for wanting it to be more widely acknowledged?
  • Options
    Who gives a flying fuck what the BNP are up to? Certainly not me. Are you suggesting that St Georges day in England is inextricably linked with racists? Am I racist for wanting it to be more widely acknowledged?

Tainted. Maybe if there was mor of an effort made and the racists weren't the only ones who really celebrated it then there would be less of an association for me...
  • Options
    I'm definitely not a racist and would like to see a wider participation. St Georges Day should be a cultural celebration and apolitical.
  • Options
    Thank you for branding me a racist for celebrating my countries national day...Its appreciated....bigot

What is the real situation? Are the majority of people who celebrate, or want to celebrate St Georges day racists? Massively, unfair and bigoted comment...Or is it people like you who are tainting it? You brand the entire thing racist simply because some dickheads who take part are racist?
  • Options
    Re: St. Georges Day
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Do you believe the government/local authorities should be doing more to mark this day or should it be left to individuals?

I think that the Govt should take more of a role, at least at a local level. But some individuals celebrate anyway - am wearing my rose and looking forward to the Beef tonight...
  • Options
    Thank you for branding me a racist for celebrating my countries national day...Its appreciated....bigot

What is the real situation? Are the majority of people who celebrate, or want to celebrate St Georges day racists? Massively, unfair and bigoted comment...Or is it people like you who are tainting it? You brand the entire thing racist simply because some dickheads who take part are racist?

I never said you were a racist. Look again.
  • Options
    The UK should celebrate the good things about the UK in some way. Since 80% of the UK is English, I don't see why 80% of the population should be deprived of celebrating their heritage for fear of making minority populations uncomfortable. Ethnic celebrations could be encouraged for the minority populations. In regards to Muslims, they live under a much more fair and open government than they would in the intolerant Middle East.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne
    I never said you were a racist. Look again.

Yes you did..
    ...racists weren't the only ones who really celebrated it..
  • Options
    You never said you celebrated it did you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    The UK should celebrate the good things about the UK in some way. Since 80% of the UK is English, I don't see why 80% of the population should be deprived of celebrating their heritage for fear of making minority populations uncomfortable. Ethnic celebrations could be encouraged for the minority populations. In regards to Muslims, they live under a much more fair and open government than they would in the intolerant Middle East.

Totally agree and for the record most minorities in this country have no problem with St Georges Day.
  • Options

Your statement branded everyone who celebrates St Georges day as a racist. That is just as bad as the racists you claim to dislike so much. Typical liberal bigot.

Yes I do celebrate St Georges day.
  • Options
    I would celebrate it even as a tourist and I'd get into celebrations from other ethnic groups too. The had some West Indian thing I went to. The food was different to me. Jamacian Jerk Chicken. Don't know what the "jerk" meant but it had a kick to it. :p
  • Options
    To partcipate leads to greater understanding, which can only be a good thing.

Celebrating St Georges Day should not be considered racist as one of the greatest things about this country is it's diversity.

pnjsurferpoet here's a link for you

http://www.coyote-moon.com/den/jjerk.htm
  • Options
    Hey thanks BA. No knew why it was called that at the festival.
  • Options
    I think it is a shame that there are no official celebrations for St Georges Day. We Irish have St Patricks Day and the Scots have St Andrews Day and Burns Night. It seems as if the government want to stamp out anything that might be considered traditional and authentically English?

If the celebrations were held in such a manner as say the Queens' Jubilee was, then it would be something for the whole nation to look forward to, and could generate something towards bringing the whole community together.

Plus, it would be an extra day off work, and that is always welcome!:D
  • Options
    I think it's important for democracies to rip themselves apart and ensure someone's rights aren't being violated, or someone isn't taking on too much power or a politician is being...too much like a politician.

But then I also think it's important for democracies to come together and celebrate the good things and life everyone in the democracy is sharing too.
  • Options
    I bet in places like Devon and Cornwall they celebrate it. Those kinds of places always seem to be more aware of ancient English festival type stuff!

I thin the English should make more effort to celebrate it, even if its just something simple like wearing a red rose just like the Welsh wear a daff.

Do news readers wear a red rose, I didn't notice this morning, They always seem to wear a Daffodil
  • Options
    Can't say I saw any on the lunchtime news readers
  • Options

I did.

Besides, what difference does that make, would your view have changed just because Balddog admitted that he celebrates? Your comment was out of order and just supports what Balddog says - is the reason we don't celebrate St Georges Day because people like you will brand us as racists? Especially when you consider that "racist" is a serious accusation in the current climate...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I did.

Besides, what difference does that make, would your view have changed just because Balddog admitted that he celebrates? Your comment was out of order and just supports what Balddog says - is the reason we don't celebrate St Georges Day because people like you will brand us as racists? Especially when you consider that "racist" is a serious accusation in the current climate...

I apologise. Not thought through. Knee-Jerk Reaction.
  • Options
    Re: St. Georges Day
    Originally posted by BlackArab

Britain needs more public holidays. I think St. Georges Day should be designated a public holiday.
  • Options
    I think if 'they' were going to make St Georges day into a public holiday for the whole of Britain then they would also have to make St Davids day a public holiday. I don't know if St Andrews day is or not. Perhaps instead they could make Shakespeares birthday a public holiday (Which coincidentally is the same day as St Georges day) or better still find a monthe where there are no public holidays (ie not April may or August) and make some day during that month into a holiday....it would also bring us into line with the rest of Europe.
  • Options
    or better still find a monthe where there are no public holidays (ie not April may or August)

If you make it in August, you could celebrate my birthday. Call it: Johnny Day.:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    If you make it in August, you could celebrate my birthday. Call it: Johnny Day.:p

Speaking of "days", it's my birthday in about two weeks :D

I'm sure Clandestine will hail my parents for the miracle which they created ;)
  • Options
    I'm sure Clandestine will hail my parents for the miracle which they created

blahaaaaaaaaaaaa:lol: