Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long term military relationship with Iraq.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

The United States is planning a long-term military relationship with the emerging government of Iraq, one that would grant the Pentagon access to military bases and project American influence into the heart of the unsettled region, senior Bush administration officials say.

I'm speechless. Ever think you'd hear me say that?:crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    And now Rumsfeld is claiming it isnt true. lol.

This administration is so steeped in lies and deceit that it looks like a three ring circus of political ineptitude. It would be funny if these bozos werent so trigger happy with the rest of the world.
  • Options
    The Arab League is against it.

Clandestine, my dad bought French Merlo for $8 a bottle. (He made me go with him to buy it and he said I'm going to buy French wine, I'm putting the flag today, and I don't like that guy...meaning Bush.)

I said: I didn't say a word. (for once):lol:
  • Options
    You should watch less Fox News and listen to your father, you just might learn a thing or two.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    You should watch less Fox News and listen to your father, you just might learn a thing or two.

Why? Cause Clandestine from thesite.org.uk said so?
  • Options
    I am. I was just shell shocked from 911 and didn't want any more PC speeches...just to hit "them" back. And you know Osama doesn't make you want to do less. He said just hit America and they'll run away.

Anyways, dad mutes the t.v. when Rumsfield comes on. He can't stand to hear his voice. I said, well, he's nothing to look at either. :lol:

The word is, Bush is making his war on terror his thing in the coming election because the economy isn't nearly as good as when Clinton was in. So my dad said, well I guess during the election year the US will be on Security Level Red.
  • Options
    Because his father shows more signs of intelligence than Fox News. Any other questions? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Because his father shows more signs of intelligence than Fox News. Any other questions? :rolleyes:

Why do you attempt to dictate where his opinion should come from?

Btw, the reason that the economy during Clinton was so good, didn'y have much to do with Clinton, but more with the government before him...
  • Options
    I feel positive about the recent events. I see hope for ending Hezbollah's influence in the area and worldwide.

My dad thinks there's other ways to go about it through the UN. Like create a Palestinian state and ensure Israel's safety but through the UN not military might.
  • Options
    welcome to the real world pnj!
  • Options
    Nobody dictated anything jacq, it was a piece of advice.
  • Options
    i wonder how many more americans are now going out buying french produce in protest at being duped by bush and rumsfeld?
    it must be a humiliating experience. there must be a growing realisation, along with anger and resentment at being had by these crooks.
    the house of cards is collapsing as will the plans for iraq and the middle east in general, which will result in huge bloodshed and chaos. some very exciting and frightening history is being written. it could include the american people demanding that the bush administration are jailed. far fetched? we are living in very far fetched times. one thing is certain in my eyes. that is, that as the truth dawns on more and more americans and the anger of these people rises, the downfall of the last super power is unfolding.
    europe along with the un will pick up the peices. bush will have stripped america of any international respect or influence. the us will experience massive social upheaval.
    go on yanks, get buying french and german produce!
  • Options
    Anger and resentment? nah

Take a look at these polls of Americans:

ABC News/Washington Post Poll - 4/16/03 74% approval.

Gallup Poll and CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll - 4/14-16/03 71% approval.

CBS News/New York Times Poll - 4/11-13/03 73% approval.

This is Bushes approval rating as President in general.

Heres a link for those who dont believe me :

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

I dunno where you got all that about America crumbling from the inside , but right now , it one of the most stable countries in the world. Its army is unbeatable , the President still has high approval ratings , and the American economy has never been larger.

Sure , it may be slowing down a touch , but things will pick up soon.
    welcome to the real world pnj!

Perhaps you need waking up from this dream world you are in , America has never been stronger , America is not going to suddenly collapse in on itself because a war went very well.

It is Germany who is entering a recession.

I think after World War 2 , America established military bases in Japan and Germany. Those countries have the second and third largest economies in the world respectively. In Germany in particular these bases were one of many reasons why the USSR didnt charge across the border.

America is not going to abandon Iraq , and this commitment proves it.
  • Options
    What an inspired piece of twaddle that was....ratings go up and down all the time. 5 weeks time he could be at 40% and can't do shit. Then your vaunted stability dissappears.

And you are hoping it picks up soon, which contradicts most economists viewpoints.

Your juxtaposition of the facts that japan and germany had military bases in them and that they are 2nd and 3rd largest economies tries to suggest it is the us influence that did this. the bases may have been needed at the time but there is NO NEED FOR BASES IN IRAQ. the only meaning for bases in iraq is in order to exert a strong military prescence in the ME, and to make sure noone makes any trouble, for example raising oil prices too high.

Ity will not abandon iraq - noone said this. it can't afford to, it needs to be able to exert its influence just in case anyone has any odd ideas, like not toeing the US line...
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Anger and resentment? nah

Take a look at these polls of Americans:

ABC News/Washington Post Poll - 4/16/03 74% approval.

Gallup Poll and CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll - 4/14-16/03 71% approval.

CBS News/New York Times Poll - 4/11-13/03 73% approval.

This is Bushes approval rating as President in general.

Heres a link for those who dont believe me :

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

I dunno where you got all that about America crumbling from the inside , but right now , it one of the most stable countries in the world. Its army is unbeatable , the President still has high approval ratings , and the American economy has never been larger.

Sure , it may be slowing down a touch , but things will pick up soon.

Perhaps you need waking up from this dream world you are in , America has never been stronger , America is not going to suddenly collapse in on itself because a war went very well.

It is Germany who is entering a recession.

I think after World War 2 , America established military bases in Japan and Germany. Those countries have the second and third largest economies in the world respectively. In Germany in particular these bases were one of many reasons why the USSR didnt charge across the border.

America is not going to abandon Iraq , and this commitment proves it.
    watch this space as it all unfolds! the american people are only just begining to realise. that realisation is spreading. lots of armies have been unbeatable and then been beaten. empires come and go. even mighty america is going to find it impossible to continue an ocupation based on lies.
  • Options
    At the risk of getting locked in a 'my-army-is-better-than-yours' argument, hawks are advised not rely in the US' armed forces as a guarantee of total global supremacy. Whereas Americans could not be defetead at home they have by no means gurantee of victory everywhere they go. The masses are all for war as long as it is a stroll in the park, like Iraq has been. The moment body bags start arriving in their thousands the support from the populace would quickly evaporate. In particular when the reasons for going to war in the first place are as thin and pathetic as with Iraq.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I feel positive about the recent events. I see hope for ending Hezbollah's influence in the area and worldwide.

My dad thinks there's other ways to go about it through the UN. Like create a Palestinian state and ensure Israel's safety but through the UN not military might.

Ask him how exactly the UN is going to do that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    At the risk of getting locked in a 'my-army-is-better-than-yours' argument, hawks are advised not rely in the US' armed forces as a guarantee of total global supremacy. Whereas Americans could not be defetead at home they have by no means gurantee of victory everywhere they go. The masses are all for war as long as it is a stroll in the park, like Iraq has been. The moment body bags start arriving in their thousands the support from the populace would quickly evaporate. In particular when the reasons for going to war in the first place are as thin and pathetic as with Iraq.

Aladdin, your continued inability to understand the realities of military conflict are astounding.

The Russian Generals have figured it out. I wonder when you will.
  • Options
    the US' armed forces as a guarantee of total global supremacy.

Aladdin. That's why we pulled out of the UN regarding this war. The UN and deluded Europe hold us back and prevent us from winning. The UN prevented taking out Saddam last time and had no intention of making him leave while making him comply.

And France can take all of the radical Muslim, death cult garbage the Mid East sewer wants to spew out. They bring nothing to countries. Their religion is primative...being the only one that offers up human sacrifices.

The US will NEVER sit back and wait for some death cult, perverted Muslim to sacrifice him or herself on our soil again. That take on the Muslim religion is going to change...and we're going to do it.
  • Options
    The U N and parts of Europe wanted to try and avoid war, however attempts to find a peacefull solution was undermined by the warmongers in both the US and the UK.

France as a country has been decimated by war in the last century and as a society probabley knows more about war then America. You forget that a lot of the first and second world war was fought on French soil and that France and Europe as a whole know that war isnt pretty.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Ask him how exactly the UN is going to do that.

Badly?
  • Options
    The UN created a forum for France, Germany and Russia to create lucrative, dirty deals with Saddam. And there was never ANY agenda by the UN to get Saddam out of office.

I read the League of Arab states made some statement wants America out. Screw them. It's not their call. If they don't like it... tough. If they threaten us....nail them.

The bases in Iraq are what we need to defend ourselves, and create a truly democratic option regarding Muslim governments. And if it wasn't for their fostering a screwed up, primative version of the Muslim religion...we wouldn't be there.
  • Options
    Falling back into your old delusions again i see pnj. Once again, the only reason we are in Iraq as conquerors mind you, not liberators, is to control the production and exploration of the second largest reserve in the world and undermine OPEC.

Everything about the aftermath is just more evidence of empire, not democracy nor liberation. We simply overthrew Saddam and set ourselves up in his stead.

Just be ready for the backlash because your cozy little world might be thrown into chaos sooner than you think by subscribing to such imperialistic sentiments.
  • Options
    I think it's time to really spit in the face of the Arab Street. The most ignorant people of the world are not going to lead it. The radical Muslims have had their day. The hidden agendas of "allies" are in plain sight. It's over with and so is the suffering of true Muslims who deserve better.
  • Options
    Indeed the hidden agendas are emerging and you all too easily fall in line with the new rheotirc emerging from Washington without missing a beat nor recognising that the claims used to justify public support for the invasion in the first place have never materialised.

Yep, youre another poster child for the effectiveness of Bush's propaganda machine. Too bad the Arab street probably has a much broader view of what is going on in the world than you do.
  • Options
    The Arab street is filled with hate and are a bunch of bigots who view all Muslims as brothers. Screw them. Screw the Palestinians who rejoice at jihadis jerk-offs attacking American Marines. If a Muslim isn't willing to live in a democracy that tolerates all religions...they are the enemy and should be killed before they kill us.
  • Options
    filled with hate and are a bunch of bigots

they are the enemy and should be killed before they kill us.

Obviously youre no better. So they must be right to hate you too
  • Options
    I'm not afraid to call garbage, garbage. There's plenty of good, educated Muslims that don't want some old man cleric perverting the Muslim religion into a death cult.

Bases in Iraq will help Saudi Arabia anyway. And they have major investments in the US and give us oil for a dollar a gallon less than Europe and the rest of the world. :)
  • Options
    I'm not afraid to call garbage, garbage

Neither are they obviously, only the target of the comment is reversed.

There's plenty of good, educated Muslims that don't want some old man cleric perverting the Muslim religion into a death cult

Just as there are plenty of good educated Americans who don't want some corrupt self serving cronies in Washington perverting and destroying over half a century of firm alliances and respect for diplomacy and multilateral processes. You aren't one of them obviously.
    Bases in Iraq will help Saudi Arabia anyway

Indeed, it will take the focus of the Saudi population off the brutal repression and tortures committed routinely by the Saudi regime on their own people.
    And they have major investments in the US and give us oil for a dollar a gallon less than Europe and the rest of the world

Which obviously justifies their brutal repression, torture and murder in the eyes of the woefully deceived and propagandised American public. You are living proof of how effective the spin can be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    I think after World War 2 , America established military bases in Japan and Germany. Those countries have the second and third largest economies in the world respectively.
    Yeah, and Guantanamo Bay is doing wonders for the Cuban economy...
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Aladdin. That's why we pulled out of the UN regarding this war. The UN and deluded Europe hold us back and prevent us from winning.
    And the kryptonite's red glare...

Power without any notion of responsibility.