Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religion

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Religion is not just about praying or performing other related duties.

It also calls for respecting people,to fight against our material desires, to have a moral sense of principles in our dealings with people, stand by the weak, support the oppressed, to give charity and to have sympathy with people.
  • Options
    You can do all those things without religion.....
  • Options
    More to the point, one can form a moral code completely independent of any religion. There is no more insulting sugegstion than the frequently-touted one that atheism implies a lack of moral code -- or, equivalently, that religion is the only true source of true morality.
  • Options
    that religion is the only true source of true morality
    very true indeed.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Abumondir:
    <STRONG>
    The problem with extremists is that they have focused on the first and forget the second.</STRONG>

Not true, well, I dont agree.
    The problem is that they have formed a God exactly like how they want it/him to be. Usually using "God" as their ammunition, to shoot everybody who disagrees down, in the name of ambition, which they claim that they get from the same God.
    And usually not taking any consequences, and just blaiming it all on their God.
  • Options
    Wow, aren't there any other Buddhist out their? It seems it has been left out of this forum. Buddhism promotes peace, is tolerant of other religions, supports scientific theory and evolution, has no dogme nor ego and considers all equal with no Godhead above all others, accepts agnostic belief, and feels we should focus on the present instead of trying to answer questions that will never be answered and therefore distract us from more important things like the here and now. It believes in meditation to clear the mind and think clearly to act rationally and compassionately. It also respects the environment and the planet and the animals. It accepts homosexuality and believes we all have the ability to be perfect not that we are born to be imperfect sinners. Enlightment and eternal bliss take a lot more time and work that just accepting Christ in my opinion. Not to say Buddhism hasn't been misrepresented like any other religion, but it doesn't have such a violent past full of extremist. Its message is hard to misinterperate to justify acts of violence or intolerence.

If any question has to be considered, it has to be
    considered peacefully and democratically in the way
    taught by the Buddha.

-- Nehru

The Buddha is not a property of Buddhists only. He is
    the property of whole mankind. His teaching is common to
    everybody. Every religion, which came into existence
    after the Buddha, has borrowed many good ideas from the
    Buddha.

-- A Muslim Scholar
    The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion.
    It should transcend a personal God and avoid dogmas and
    theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual,
    it should be based on a religious sense arising from the
    experience of all . things, natural and spiritual, as a
    meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description.

-- Albert Einstein
  • Options
    But I can act like that without being a Buddhist......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg:
    <STRONG>But I can act like that without being a Buddhist......</STRONG>
    Buddhism is a mish mash of lots of relgions and lots of moral codes.

It doesn't mean much to me because most Buddhist teachings are inherent human ideals...like you say, there's no need to have a religion to tell us what we already think.
  • Options
    You don't have to pray to a supposedly higher being than yourself, I think that all you need to learn and practice is the teachings.
  • Options
    All religions parallel one another in some fashion. They recommend virtue, and a practice of of prayer or meditation. They usually promice immortality, and have a code of ethics which are somewhat similar. But to say Buddhism is a mish mash of lots of religions is a little off, especially since the teachings of The Buddha existed before mohammed or Christ. Plus Buddism doesn't follow dogma, and the Buddha didn't consider himself a higher being than anyone else or a prophet or son of God. That was his whole point was to teach everyone how to reach the same point of enlightenment he had. So he never said to worship him b/c he is dead, but to learn from his teachings. Not everyone reaches a point of self actualization as Maslow would put it without a little guidance. So, call Buddhism a philosophy, religion, or spiritual guidance if you will, but it takes a bit of work to unveal these so called inherent human ideals and the Buddha was one of the best mentors to have ever existed. Buddism is to be able to think clearly, rationally, and compassionately and act on those thoughts. One doesn't have to pray to Buddha or label themselves a Buddhist to explore his message. It just surprises me that since I've been on this site full of many liberal agnostics expressing dissapointment with organized religion, that I've heard no mention of meditation or Buddhism which is becoming more and more popular among my peers in the States and is the fastest growing religion per capita person in Australia.
  • Options
    More to the point, one can form a moral code completely independent of any religion. There is no more insulting sugegstion than the frequently-touted one that atheism implies a lack of moral code --or, equivalently, that religion is the only true source of true morality.

I've seen this said time and time again. But the only results I've ever seen of a widespread, deliberate attempt to separate morals from God (in other words, implement atheism on a national scale) are Nazi Germany, the USSR, and China. So please, do show me how this works. I think it no coincidence that the most prosperous, most free countries in the world started with a Christian heritage.

See, it can't be done. Because what YOU say is your moral code is not necessarily what someone else will say. People have to be held to a higher standard than themselves. Take rape for example. I would assume that you believe rape is wrong. But what if the next person doesn't? Who are you - a mere person, just like them, with no concept of anything greater than yourself, to tell them what is right and wrong? You have made yourself the arbiter of right and wrong - you've created your own moral code. How can you say yours is any better than the next? You can't, since you've left yourself - a fallible human - as God. You decide what is right and wrong for yourself. You can't bring concepts of evil and sin into this, since you believe in atheism. It's very hard to bring even the concept of human dignity into your argument, since you believe that all life here is nothing but random chance. You might say since social consensus says rape is wrong, it is. But if social consenus were to change tomorrow, would rape suddenly become right? I'll leave you with this quote from Dostoevsky:

"If God does not exist, then everything is permissible."
  • Options
    Who said anything about atheising whole states, why can an individual not be moral if he has no religion, I know what is right and wrong.

Where then did the moral teachings of the bible come from, they were invented by humans, where did they get their morals, from themselves or from God? At some point there were no religions and morals have evolved from that point so where did the first person to act morally get his ideas?
    I think it no coincidence that the most prosperous, most free countries in the world started with a Christian heritage.
    So Christianity = prosperity, what about Japan? China was the most advanced nation in the world until a few centuries ago, don't talk bollocks.....

As for your assertion that morality must come from a higher source how is it then that Christian dogma has changed since the time of Christ, the way you live your lifeand your moral code is different to that of a mediaeval christian, how has that changed.....through human society.......
  • Options
    Who said anything about atheising whole states, why can an individual not be moral if he has no religion, I know what is right and wrong.

Fine then, but keep atheism to yourself, we don't want to become an entire nation of atheists! Of course, now you'll say that you shouldn't be silenced. And you would be right. So the only option left is to attack your beliefs. As for you knowing what's right and wrong, that's ultimately what atheism comes down to isn't it, you set yourself up as God.
    Where then did the moral teachings of the bible come from, they were invented by humans, where did they get their morals, from themselves or from God? At some point there were no religions and morals have evolved from that point so where did the first person to act morally get his ideas?

I'd say that according to Christian theology, that is terribly wrong. The moral teachings in the Bible were not created by humans, they were handed down by God.

Where did the first person to act morally get his ideas? From the ultimate source of morality, God. Of course, not believing in God, you won't believe that either.
    So Christianity = prosperity, what about Japan?

Bad example - Japan was reformed by America, a predominantly Christian nation, after WWII. Although Japan isn't a Christian nation today, it has benefitted from the ideas of the Christian nation that helped to rebuild it.
    China was the most advanced nation in the world until a few centuries ago, don't talk bollocks.....

Most advanced? Scientifically, perhaps.
    Was it almost one of the most free? Most democratic? Devoted to the idea of "all men are created equal"? These are all concepts that arose out of Christian ideas, esp. after the Reformation.

As for your assertion that morality must come from a higher source how is it then that Christian dogma has changed since the time of Christ, the way you live your lifeand your moral code is different to that of a mediaeval christian, how has that changed.....through human society......./quote]

The only predominant change in Christian dogma since the time of Christ would be the beliefs of the Catholic Church. If you know anything about the Reformation, you'll see that Luther's beliefs echo that of the Bible and of Augustine - the first of the great apologists, who wrote back in circa 500 AD.

Is the Christian moral code of today really all that different from the one of a medieval Christian? If by medieval, you mean "witch burning Inquisitors", then yes. But I can argue that they strayed far from the moral code of the Bible, and ultimately committed much evil as a result of this. I would suggest - though I cannot prove - that a true Christian living in 1350 would have a very similar set of morals to mine, in 2002.
  • Options
    we don't want to become an entire nation of atheists!
    thats a weird thing to say, people are only atheists if they want to be.....
    that's ultimately what atheism comes down to isn't it, you set yourself up as God.
    society does have an accepted code of morals as enshrined in the law, what about other religions? If they have different morals to you but they are handed down from their God who is right, because of this conflict atheism is the only way to establish a set of laws by which people live their lives.....
    God. Of course, not believing in God, you won't believe that either.
    no I don't and I suppose its impossible to argue that point if you do believe it......
    Japan was reformed by America, a predominantly Christian nation, after WWII.
    No, Japan was already one of the most prosperous nations in the world prior to WW2
    "all men are created equal"?
    an idea deriving from the ancient Greeks and first put into practise by the French revolution?
    I would suggest - though I cannot prove - that a true Christian living in 1350 would have a very similar set of morals to mine, in 2002.
    I doubt it very much, I believe that societies morals are bets shown in the codes of law and those laws are now very different to that of any other era. I would hazard to suggest that a "true" christian from several centuries ago would be disgusted by the behaviour of most of todays so called "christians"......
  • Options
    I think it no coincidence that the most prosperous, most free countries in the world started with a Christian heritage

I think this statement is a little too generalized. When I think of the U.S. for instance, I feel it was more free before Europeans came along and tried to enslave the natives, enslaved Africans, and burned heretics. It seems to me the most prosperous and free countries are the ones that allow freedom of religion. I feel politics has played a larger part on freedom than Christianity.
    you've created your own moral code. How can you say yours is any better than the next?

I don't need to. I'm not trying to please everyone else. The only reason I follow laws I don't believe in is so I don't get punished. How can one leave themself as God if you don't believe in God. I'm just living as an individual who can decide ultimatlly what I percieve as right and wrong. I'm actually agnostic, but believe in Karma. For every action there is a reaction and therefore through my own actions I determine my own fate. People have the ability to formulate a pretty good idea of what's right and wrong it whether or not they choose to follow it.
  • Options
    thats a weird thing to say, people are only atheists if they want to be.....

What's so weird about it? I've already told you what happens to entirely atheistic nations: they become capable of the worst atrocities known to man. I think I can safely say that the number of killings committed in the name of religion pales in comparison to the number of killings committed in the name of atheism.

society does have an accepted code of morals as enshrined in the law, what about other religions? If they have different morals to you but they are handed down from their God who is right, because of this conflict atheism is the only way to establish a set of laws by which people live their lives.....

No, because of this conflict, you should change the other person's point of view. As you try to do with atheism. Atheism is just as much of a religion as any other.

Atheism as a framework to develop laws doesn't work. See above.

In Western countries at least, law was conceived from Christian doctrine.
    Societies are founded on religions. I can't think of any (save for USSR and Nazi Germany) that haven't been. But this guy does a much better job of expounding on that fact than I can:

http://www.townhall.com/hall_of_fame/kirk/kirk404.html
    No, Japan was already one of the most prosperous nations in the world prior to WW2

Again - was Japan one of the most free? What I said originally was that the most propserous, free nations in the world have a Christian heritage.

"all men are created equal" - an idea deriving from the ancient Greeks and first put into practise by the French revolution?

An idea deriving from God, not from the ancient Greeks. The Greeks may have been fortunate enough to learn of it through God's grace (in fact, Augustine finds that the Platonists had some ideas about God that are quite similar to the Christian concept). But this idea ultimately comes from God, and has been best implemented in those countries which have a history of Christianity.

Bah!! The French? Pardon me, but the exact quote is found in the US Declaration of Independence was written in 1776. And do keep in mind that France's Revolution was followed by mass killing - I don't think they had such a good handle on it as you'd like to think.
    I doubt it very much, I believe that societies morals are bets shown in the codes of law and those laws are now very different to that of any other era. I would hazard to suggest that a "true" christian from several centuries ago would be disgusted by the behaviour of most of todays so called "christians"......

So name me some examples then. You think a medieval Christian would be at odds with the concept of "hate the sin, love the sinner" ? And above all, "love God with all your heart, soul, and mind" ?

You have yet to provide me with an atheistic moral code. I'd like to see it.
  • Options
    It seems to me the most prosperous and free countries are the ones that allow freedom of religion. I feel politics has played a larger part on freedom than Christianity.

It seems to me that the countries which first codified this "freedom of religion" are the ones with Christian backgrounds. What came first - Christianity, or the US Constitution?
  • Options
    I've already told you what happens to entirely atheistic nations: they become capable of the worst atrocities known to man
    These were atheist nations but the killings done in their name were for their own dogma, there have nevr been any killings in the "name of atheism"......
    you should change the other person's point of view
    ahhhh, the conversion ethic, I assume you think all other religions are false then?
    As you try to do with atheism.
    I think you will be hard pressed to find any athheists that actively attempt to convert them to their way, atheism is not a religion but it could be described as a system of belief but only the way that it rejects other systems of belief.....
    Atheism as a framework to develop laws doesn't work
    I would say that most of the MPS in parliament are not actively religious so are their laws worthless?
    dehumanized by addiction to narcotics and insane sexuality.
    that is from that website, the guys a loony, tell me jonno what are your views on homosexuality, or single parents or contaception or abortion or Jews or Muslims.....?
    Again - was Japan one of the most free?
    So you have given up on the Christ=prosperity argument have you? Tell me if Christianity results in freedom why for the most of christian history have people lived under tyrannical authoritarian monarchies?
    An idea deriving from God, not from the ancient Greeks.
    Clearly I can't disprove your ideas on the existence of God so I can't argue that point suffice to see you demean your arguments if you will resort to such a lame argument.....
    You think a medieval Christian
    I think for example that a medieaval christian would unquestioningly support the death penalty, would you?
    You have yet to provide me with an atheistic moral code. I'd like to see it.
    You can't "see" it but I assure you I live my life by one.....
  • Options
    It seems to me that the countries which first codified this "freedom of religion" are the ones with Christian backgrounds

So are you saying freedom of religion was ultimately derived from Christianity?
  • Options
    Originally posted by j0nn0:
    <STRONG>

It seems to me that the countries which first codified this "freedom of religion" are the ones with Christian backgrounds. What came first - Christianity, or the US Constitution?</STRONG>

So the first country to guarantee freedom of religion was Christian. Other countries copied us. So what?

There've been many horribly intolerant Christian countries too.

You can't prove that Christianity created the basis for freedom of religion.
  • Options
    These were atheist nations but the killings done in their name were for their own dogma, there have nevr been any killings in the "name of atheism"......

In other words:
    "Without God, everything becomes permissible."

ahhhh, the conversion ethic, I assume you think all other religions are false then?

To a point, I will concede that other religions have found a glimpse of the truth. I think the truth is best found in Christianity. But the point is moot - you believe in atheism - your religion - and all others are false.
    I think you will be hard pressed to find any athheists that actively attempt to convert them to their way, atheism is not a religion but it could be described as a system of belief but only the way that it rejects other systems of belief.....

What are you talking about? What are you trying to do now, if not convert me from my point of view to your own?? Atheism IS a religion - or can you tell me exactly what happens after death, with absolute proof? No, you take that on faith, just as I do.

I would say that most of the MPS in parliament are not actively religious so are their laws worthless?

Not at all. But, many of the laws that have been enacted (laws on abortion for example) are not just worthless, they are wrong. Plain and simple.

that is from that website, the guys a loony, tell me jonno what are your views on homosexuality, or single parents or contaception or abortion or Jews or Muslims.....?

So the man is a loony because he has concepts different from your own? Such tolerance and diversity in your moral framework.

Homosexuality? Wrong. Wouldn't outlaw it, but it is still wrong.

Contraception? Nothing wrong with that...
    I'm not a Catholic.

Jews and Muslims? I think they're both wrong. But so do you.
    So you have given up on the Christ=prosperity argument have you? Tell me if Christianity results in freedom why for the most of christian history have people lived under tyrannical authoritarian monarchies?

??? Not sure what you're talking about.
    What I said was that the most prosperous and FREE (can I not emphasize that point enough for you????)
    Clearly I can't disprove your ideas on the existence of God so I can't argue that point suffice to see you demean your arguments if you will resort to such a lame argument.....

Your presupposition is that God doesn't exist, so of course it's a "lame argument". On ther other hand, your arguments are equally lame to me because of my presupposition that God does exist.

I think for example that a medieaval christian would unquestioningly support the death penalty, would you?

I don't think that a medieval Christian would necessarily support the death penalty actually. It's a grey area, and while I personally support the death penalty, its not a major issue to me if others don't. I don't think a country has to have a law allowing it, although I support it.
    You can't "see" it but I assure you I live my life by one.....

Come on. This is a lame argument if there ever was one. You are the one saying that atheism is the truth and that life should be lived in this way. You should be able to tell me how.
  • Options
    You can't prove that Christianity created the basis for freedom of religion.

I think it did, and that a true understanding of Christianity (in my mind, the Protestant viewpoint) sets the basis
    for this freedom. I guess I can't prove this beyond a doubt, but I think its more than coincidence.
  • Options
    Before I go through all your other points can you please explain how you can possibly support the death penalty given the Christian ideal of forgiveness?
  • Options
    Before I go through all your other points can you please explain how you can possibly support the death penalty given the Christian ideal of forgiveness?

Forgiveness doesn't exclude the Christian concept of justice. A person sentenced to death has committed the ultimate crime. This is not to say we shouldn't forgive him. But we also have a duty to see justice done. Your conception of forgiveness would let anyone off for any crime - "Forget about it, we'll forgive you and you won't suffer any consequences as the result of your actions."
  • Options
    "Without God, everything becomes permissible."
    If we get down to the main point, are my inactions inately immoral because I am an atheist and if not how is it possible for me to live a moral life?

Why is homosexuality wrong?

And stop putting words in my mouth I do not think Jews or Muslims are wrong I can see faults in Judaism and Islam but not the indivduals themselves....
  • Options
    j0nn0

Morality can exist outside of Christianity. I don't like the implication that somehow if you aren't Christian you have no morals.
  • Options
    If we get down to the main point, are my inactions inately immoral because I am an atheist and if not how is it possible for me to live a moral life?
    Why is homosexuality wrong?

Are you inactions innately immoral? Sorry, don't see what you're trying to get at.

Now let's get to the real main point. You keep saying you live within your own moral framework. Let's see just what kind of moral framework atheism provides. Remember that this should be universally applicable, and should have some reason behind its thinking, because your viewpoint is right and you want others to adopt it - otherwise you wouldn't be defending it, correct?
    And stop putting words in my mouth I do not think Jews or Muslims are wrong I can see faults in Judaism and Islam but not the indivduals themselves....

You don't think they're wrong? But they believe in God and many other concepts that you regard as false. So how can you say you don't think they're wrong? Are you saying you believe in Yaweh or Allah but not Jesus, and at the same time, you believe in no gods at all (other than yourself) because you are an atheist?
  • Options
    Morality can exist outside of Christianity. I don't like the implication that somehow if you aren't Christian you have no morals.

Sorry, no such implication was intended. I agree - you do not have to be a Christian to live a moral life. However, Christianity is the best way to live a life in accordance with true morality. This is why I regard atheism as more dangerous than other religious beliefs. Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc, all have a moral framework upon which their beliefs are based - they submit to something higher than themselves. Atheists do not. Atheists regard themselves as the arbiters of right and wrong - the individual, in effect, becomes God. So if everyone was to become an atheist tommorrow, we would have some 6 billion gods, each with their own version of right and wrong. And who would you be to challenge another's conception of morality?
  • Options
    Once again Buddhism is left out. The Buddha taught a code of ethics that parallels many of the commandments but did not consider himself higher than anyone else. He taught to let go of the ego and dogma. When asked if there was a higher power, he answered only by saying that that question only got in the way of more important things such as focusing on the present. Is that why Buddhism is percied as so dangerous by Christainity? I can never prove the existance of God nor can you. I just choose not to waste time on it. If God is so jealous and really gives a shit about human affairs, then why in all his power can't he let himself be known a little better.
  • Options
    Once again Buddhism is left out. The Buddha taught a code of ethics that parallels many of the commandments but did not consider himself higher than anyone else. He taught to let go of the ego and dogma. When asked if there was a higher power, he answered only by saying that that question only got in the way of more important things such as focusing on the present. Is that why Buddhism is percied as so dangerous by Christainity? I can never prove the existance of God nor can you. I just choose not to waste time on it. If God is so jealous and really gives a shit about human affairs, then why in all his power can't he let himself be known a little better.

If what you're saying about Buddhism is true, then it appears that Buddhism makes no real effort to understand the deeper questions in life - who we are, where are we going, why are we here - as such, it completely fails as a religious/philosophical position for me.

Religion and philosophy are not supposed to take the stance of focusing exclusively on the present. That's what everyday living is for. As for your last comment, it could be said that men are blind in spite of all the evidence for God being around them - our very existence is the proof you're looking for.