Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Is arrogance a bad thing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well today, I was wondering, as I must come off as very arrogant. But, it's because I have realised I am talented. I mean, my French teacher said to my mum she has never met anyone with so much potential, my graphics teacher says the amount of potential I have is unlimited. My form tutor says I could go on to do great things (well she meant it, it was different...) and my (ex) girlfriend said she couldn't stand it (in a nice way) how I had the potential to be so good yet I couldn't be bothered to work.

Oh yea and my head of year said I'm definitly in the top one or two for ability. Then she said she wasn't trying to swell my head.

I'm not trying to compare myself to thesite guys and gals, cos you are a great bunch, some of who are brilliant. So I think I would lose hands down. Just I feel so... self-accomplished, I can't help showing myself off. Why do some people think arrogant is so wrong if it makes me feel good? (Yes I know I'm being selfish :p)

Comments

• Options
    Pride comes before a fall my friend
  • Options
    I hate arrogance, I CANT STAND people who think they are better than anybody else it drives me mad.
  • Options
    Arrogance can be annoying. I know quite a lot of arrogant people. However, i think that if you manage to reach beyond the surface that you will find their better qualities :)
  • Options
    I do not like those whom show off or otherwise consider themselves far superior to others, regardless of whether it is justified or not. Indeed, I sincerely believe that hard work will always be greatly rewarded by respect and friendliness when it is subtle and discreet.

I similarly dislike people whom are condescending, for everyone should be treated equally regardless of gender; age; intellect; race; sexuality; or any other factor.
  • Options
    bet you have a small wang.
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with being proud of your achievements but in all honesty some people can go too far. I am very proud of all that I have done in my short life, but none of you know about it all!! Simply put, there is a fine line between bragging and being proud.

To be arrogant is to be "unpleasantly proud and behaving as if you are more important than, or know more than, other people."

I am not saying you do this, but you must not let what people say affect you mate. I know only too well where that can lead to. You still need to work hard.

I personally admire people who work hard for what they have / what they achieve and then accept it with grace.
  • Options
    Originally posted by angelbabe
    I hate arrogance, I CANT STAND people who think they are better than anybody else it drives me mad.

I agree. Totally.

And I also hate people who think they're more important than they are :mad:

But apart from that, I love everyone and everything :)
  • Options
    Kinky Red said it best.
    You can still be proud of what you have acomplished, but what you have acomplished doesn't give people the right to act superiour to everybody else. After all we are all equal and i am sure we could all acomplish the same things if we really tried.
  • Options
    Girls love a little arrogance in their blokes, they know they do!:p

I’m not saying they all like superciliousness blokes, but confidence is sexy, whatever the gender!

Just don’t let it go to your head, no one likes a show off! (well, most people don’t!):p
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShInE
    After all we are all equal and i am sure we could all acomplish the same things if we really tried.
    I am not sure I agree with this. We are all equal in terms of rights etc but not ability.
  • Options
    Yeh i suppose, disabled or challenged people don't have equal abilty in some cases, but if people really tried to acomplish something, i mean really tried, they probably could.
  • Options
    Yeh i suppose, disabled or challenged people don't have equal abilty in some cases, but if people really tried to acomplish something, i mean really tried, they probably could.

I still don't agree. I think everybody should be given equal opportunity to achieve the same, but it could never happen. Different people have different weaknesses and strengths and I don't think we could all achieve the same. Equality of opportunity does not exist in this country anyway, which is a shame.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless
    Girls love a little arrogance in their blokes, they know they do!:p

I’m not saying they all like superciliousness blokes, but confidence is sexy, whatever the gender!

Just don’t let it go to your head, no one likes a show off! (well, most people don’t!):p

I am a very confident person yet I am not arrogant, for I do not boast or in any other way show off my achievements.
  • Options
    i dont show off that much in guess. I mean I pretend the French teacher fancies me (tho I'm scared it's more than a pretence) and stuff like that. I tell my mates what I get in my tests which is normally around 85-90 and I think that's what gets to them. And anyway i think it can be sexy - look at LacyMay!! :p
  • Options
    I really cannot stand overly arrogant people...

The thing about you telling your friends your test scores... why? Why show off? Surely just you knowing your potential and ability is good enough, without trying to undermine other people?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mobily's Ghost

I am a very confident person yet I am not arrogant, for I do not boast or in any other way show off my achievements.

Er, yeah. Good for you! :confused::)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

lmao
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

ah yes but no one will ever see it :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Samuti
    Surely just you knowing your potential and ability is good enough, without trying to undermine other people?
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there. It all comes down to how you make other people feel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. It all comes down to how you make other people feel.

I feel rubbish without other people's approval...

I have a mental complex.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner

I feel rubbish without other people's approval...

I have a mental complex.
    Right....

doesn't sound like you're going to get very far with that attitude shyboy! Bless.
  • Options
    Well you do have the approval of your teachers... and probably the examiners when you do your exams, and the uni admissions people when the time comes, and your parents, etc.
  • Options

Right....

doesn't sound like you're going to get very far with that attitude shyboy! Bless.

I like being blessed :D

:angel:

hmmm. It's just nothing quite hits the spot by someone saying how good you are....
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    hmmm. It's just nothing quite hits the spot by someone saying how good you are....
    Well I am afraid to say that this is very arrogant!
  • Options

I find that to be a very insidously hoorible idea. It implies that there is some kind of moral failure in those who 'achieve' little when most people will be in a bad situation through factors beyond there control........
  • Options

Well I am afraid to say that this is very arrogant!

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Samuti
    I really cannot stand overly arrogant people...

Me neither. I have to avoid people who are otherwise I end up saying things I shouldn't.
  • Options
    i did the best in my year last year, never got more than a well done. doesn't really bother me, but im sure it'll send me into therapy one time
  • Options
    i have a friend who was the real no hoper at school. fighting shagging and stealing was what he spent his time doing. 35yrs later he owns three massive scrap yards and four nursing homes.
    employs around 60 people. thick as fuck if he's measured educationaly. extremely bright if measured by his shrewdness and bizz ability. another one the same who employs around ten people in metal fabrication. i also have some well educated friends who did very well at school asnd work in offices like the town hall, social services etc. then theres me who did well in junior school but lost interest by the time i was 11 or twelve.
    i was reasonably capable but realy not interested.
    i live a very comfortable life am very happy with friends and family and have never had to do a days work in my life.
    i hate arrogance. i hate it even more in young people who are yet to prove themselves in time of trouble and stress. when you actualy leave school you'll find the world just keeps on getting bigger. so do the responibilities and challenges. let me know in twenty years if you have achieved happiness, contentment etc.
    let me know if you can handle marriage and parenthood.
    so far you have had to provide nothing much for yourself or others i would imagine. lets hope your good results in school equate to success in the big world. schooling and grades often count for sod all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i live a very comfortable life am very happy with friends and family and have never had to do a days work in my life.

schooling and grades often count for sod all.
    Can I ask how you live so comfortably without ever working?

Also, some people actually enjoy work! I know I enjoy what I do, even though it is only part time.

I do agree with your final statement though. Achievement should not be measured by educational success.