Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New boyf/girlf...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok hypothetical question......

If you're getting into a new relationship how much do you want to know first about the person and what kind of things are important to know before hand? Is it important that you know certain things about them or are you not bothered in not knowing much about your new boyf/girlf at first?

Comments

• Options
    I'd like to know some things about them, the best relationships start off as friendships I think.
  • Options
    ok....i think it's important to know what kind of things the other person likes doing ie sport, music, going out etc. because if you're the kind of person that likes going down the pub on a saturday night and they definitely aren't it's going to cause a strain on the relationship....and also for date purposes-nothing in common=hard to find something that suits you both. personally i like to be able to see something 'human' about them...like a few of the little quirks that people have because if all you can see is how fit they are then reality will soon kick in. and there you go,
    The Silly String :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Silverberg
    I'd like to know some things about them, the best relationships start off as friendships I think.

:yes: I agree, I was good friends with my boyf for a few months before we started going out.

What about things like their previous relationships? If they'd been a mate for a while you'd probably know the deal with their exes and that, but would that kinda thing bother you?
  • Options
    I don't feel I need to know that much. You can't know everything. That takes time.
    I mean, unless you're going to run through a huge questionaire and checklist, then it'll take time.
    The things I usually want to know about are, religious views (in brief - are they religious), food (mainly are they vegetarian - as I'm not), drinking habits, and what they do in their spare time. Most of those can be established quickly and easily. Everything else takes time to learn about someone else.

So, why the hypothetical questions Faith? All not well? Met someone else? :confused:

Mr_Wobble ;)
  • Options
    I'm pretty good with people, I can kind of judge a lot of what they're like pretty quickly.

I like honestly and loyality in a person, anything else can be worked around or compromised on.

As long as they're dirty..;) (And crazy drug addicts, haha)

Phil :naughty:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Silverberg

True true - I just need to kickstart mine though! :yes: :yes:
  • Options
    I like to know a few things, like interests and hobbies etc. I found out a few things on the first night I met my last bf. We just got on so well. I was obsessed by him. Its good that you can find out other things during the relationship. Keep the spark going. It took me weeks to notice that my bf wore contact lenses!!! I dunno why but I was amazed that I didnt notice! I think these things count.
  • Options
    Friends

Yea it's nice to be friends for a while first! I was with my current bfriend as when we met he had just joined the army, so he didn't get to come home so all we could do was talk every night for 3months! Eventually we found out everything about each other!! It was nice :) otherwise it's nice to know hobbies, intrests, about parents, families etc etc!

My friend & her bfriend have been together 6months n' neither of them no anything about each other! It's awful. Because they see each other in school, they never talk on the phone etc so it's only like a "fuck buddies" relationship in some ways!!
  • Options
    Re: Friends
    Originally posted by Mwaaaa
    "fuck buddies"

And what's her number? :naughty:

I agree wholeheartedly that, for a serious, long-term relationship, it is very important to be friends first and thus understand the other person to a greater extent.