Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is conscription slavery?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would not fight in a war, but that is because I object to any fighting, except in direct self defence. If I was drafted, I would insist on working as a medic or something, nothing to do with any killing, as I could not kill another human anyway (I feel guilty about killing something like a spider...)
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat

A libertarian 'I am'. Most libertarians I know oppose the draft.

Go here - http://www.libertarian.org - if you want to learn about libertarian belief. Most posts I have made have been consistent with that.

Most Libertarians oppose the draft, but not on the grounds you claim. Your posts are not consistent with libertarian beliefs, they are consistent with self-centered egotism.

I suggest you reread the link you provided.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Nor, Greenie (despite you previously claim), are you.

http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/dgwlib.html

Note that one of the principal tenets of Libertarians is "non-interventionist" foreign policy.

Your constant pandering to Bush's warmongering blows your claim right out of the water.

Should have paid attention to what I said, Clandestine. My political beliefs are closer to the Libertarians than the Republicans, but I don't agree with their foreign policy policies. And Libertarianism doesn't have "tenets", as you would also find if you paid any attention to political philosophies instead of putting your own spin on things.
  • Options
    tenet [tnt, tint]
    n. a belief, opinion, or dogma

Every political philosophy has its tenets, Greenie. Unless Libertarians believe in nothing, nor have any opinions! lol.

You definitely belie the latter aspect!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Most Libertarians oppose the draft, but not on the grounds you claim. Your posts are not consistent with libertarian beliefs, they are consistent with self-centered egotism.

You're wrong again. I stated that the draft is wrong because it violates people's freedom (the reason why most libertarians oppose it). Check out the Gordon Brown and public finances thread if you dispute libertarian credentials.

It seems your libertarianism is acutally quasi-libertarianism as you have never turly advocated any freedom here (be it personal or economic in nature).
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat

You're wrong again. I stated that the draft is wrong because it violates people's freedom (the reason why most libertarians oppose it). Check out the Gordon Brown and public finances thread if you dispute libertarian credentials.

It seems your libertarianism is acutally quasi-libertarianism as you have never turly advocated any freedom here (be it personal or economic in nature).

You are claiming that individuals have no responsibility to the state under Libertarian belief.
    Who says anybody has to 'give something back' to their government?
    Given the reliance on the works of the Founding Fathers, that is more than slightly hard to swallow. Libertarians believe that such responsibilities must be accepted freely. Therefore, they oppose conscription. However, that isn't the same as claiming that the responsibilities don't exist.

"tenet" like "dogma" is generally held to be beliefs that cannot be varied from, Clandestine. The Libertarian Party doesn't claim to have such, unless you want to classify a very general belief in individual liberty as a tenet.
  • Options
    But you fail to realise that not all libertarians even believe in a state or government.

These anarchists (or anarcho-capitalists, to be precise) don't accept the notion of the draft.
  • Options
    So, you are an anarcho-capitalist who defends Marx?
  • Options
    So, you are an anarcho-capitalist who defends Marx?

No I'm a minarchist (, i.e. a libertarian who believes in a minimum state) who has not 'defended' anyone here.

Practically all libertarians, be they minarchists or anarchists, believe that the draft is wrong. For some reason you fail to see that.
  • Options
    Isn't it an American constitutional right to hold arms so as to defend one's freedom from the power of the state?

Whilst a state can be a defender of it's citizens freedoms it can aslo take them away or seek to take it away from others, applying a blanket law of conscription at the states behest fails to negotitate the nuisssances of a particular situation, it is because of this that people are given the right to free choice in liberal democracies/republics.........
  • Options

Libertarians believe that such responsibilities must be accepted freely. Therefore, they oppose conscription.

Since Monocrat seems to have difficulty comprehending the written word.