Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

R.i.p. Nato

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LOL. you obviously need to go back and reread my post which you just cited. I named those three countries as supporters. That still leaves 7 out of 10 countries currently awaiting full EU membership opposed.

Total count: 8 out of 25 current and pending EU governments in support, still no majority there.

And no pnj, NATO is not deadlocked on the WoT, this issue has nothing to do with the WoT, it has to do with placing Patriot Missiles in Turkey in preparation for the invasion of Iraq. the WoT concerns hunting down those linked to 9/11, and despite the spin youve obviously fully assimilated from our mainstream media, Iraq (however much Bush wants it to be so) has no link to that event.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    the WoT concerns hunting down those linked to 9/11,

Actually, the War on Terror has to do with hunting down and eliminating terrorists, linked to 9/11 or not. Maybe you haven't noticed the operations in the Philippines, in Columbia, in various parts of Africa, but the war is farther stretched than just Al Queda.
  • Options
    agreed, but the invasion of Iraq is not, however much the spin factory is feverishly working to fabricate such confusion of the issue.
  • Options
    Just read everyone but France, Germany and that waffle country in NATO is on the side of the US regarding supporting Turkey. They should have made it that majority rules.
  • Options
    Once again you miss the real issue pnj. This isnt about supporting or not supporting Turkey. This is about not agreeing with the Bush administration's insistance that missile battries be deployed now. Those opposed rightly see that this is simply a tactic to launch an immediate invasion regardless of the UN's decision process.

People who claim that they are the last ones to want war are surely belying that claim clearly enough with the fanatical vitriole they are ladelling onto this issue. You would expect that they would clearly see that Saddam can do nothing to threaten anyone whilst our forces amass around him, so why are average citizens not demanding Washington to tone down its urgency and give Blix whatever time he and he alone deems necessary?

Why, because Bush is playing politics with the lives of our servicemen and women as well as countless Iraqi civilians in his mad rush to get this over and out of the public consciousness before campaign time rolls around.

That manipulative strategy should be as transparent as they come.
  • Options
    Isn't Turkey also worried about Kurdish rebels...streaming across their borders?
  • Options
    Patriot Missiles are not going to stop people from streaming anywhere. lol. They are meant to shoot down other missiles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Patriot Missiles are not going to stop people from streaming anywhere. lol. They are meant to shoot down other missiles.

Actually, they are meant to shoot down aircraft. Their performance is such that knocking down SCUDs and similar performance missiles is at the edge of their capabilities.
  • Options
    Point taken. That still doesnt have anything to do with stopping Kurds from streaming in on foot. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Butt (just felt like writing that word) now I read that Iraq moved its scud launchers next to mosques. So wow, think they might be hiding some somewhere?
  • Options
    short range scuds are well within the allowed weaponry. You can hardly expect any nation, regardless of how bad its leadership, to just sit undefended whilst a quarter of a million soldiers invade it do you? Think we'd throw down the welcome mat for invaders?
  • Options
    Aladdin for me I heard a stronger argument against going into Iraq. The US took coast guard ships off of some of the great lakes and now they're off Iraq. The danger is Al Qaeda, either living in the US, entering legally OR ILLEGALLY. The last one's the big one to me. The other argument against the war that works for me is that we could be helping recruit for Al Qaeda by encouraging extremist-nuts to join.

The US public is pro war 67%. It was against it by almost as much a few weeks ago. People believe Powell....or they don't want to take the chance that a threat could get in...so let's get them first. That's the attitude I think.
  • Options
    The Iraqis are allowed missiles with a range of up to 93 miles. Their current "super SCUD", the Ababil, is believed to violate that range requirement. It is also believed to be capable of delivering HE, Chemical or Biological warheads. Until it has been inspected (which the Iraqi's are refusing since they claim it is within their allowed weapons), it isn't known exactly what the capabilities of the weapon system are.
  • Options
    Greenhat, I also read that Iraq is moving explosives into its oil fields.

Diplomacy against a nutty dictator is a joke.