Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

R.i.p. Nato

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Something most likely will replace NATO, but I think we're seeing the end of NATO. For one thing, with the real threat being from terrorism, Russia should be included in any agreement for protection. The US is going to be focused on creating a new Europe out of the Middle East I believe. Iraq is just the beginning. Turkey has no reason to stay in NATO. And there's nothing in it for the US to stay in Europe. NATO members have the right not to get involved with Iraq, but they don't have the right not to aide a member who needs their help in protecting them from a war on their border and an ethnic group within...like is the case with Turkey. I can see the US creating some mutual protection force between Afghanistan, Iraq and Turkey.

Comments

• Options
    I personally see no further use for NATO. The Soviet threat is gone and it makes much more sense for Europe to fully develop a European army than to rely on NATO. Seeing as we're furthest apart from the US than ever it's not like we're going to agree much on common foreign and defence policy anyway.
  • Options
    What's the point in us having a European Army? Certainly one that includes the French...
  • Options
    This is exactly what Turkey tried to invoke.

Turkey -- NATO's only Muslim member and a probable launch pad for any U.S.-led attack because of its shared border with Iraq -- has now formally asked the alliance for help and invoked Article 4 of the North Atlantic Treaty.

It is believed to be the first time an alliance member has used Article 4, which allows a member nation to call for emergency consultations if it feels its "territorial integrity, political independence or security" is threatened.
  • Options
    There was talk of having a rapid deploy force that could swoop in anywhere in Europe if something like what happened in that Moscow theater were taking place.
  • Options
    The plans for a European Rapid Reaction Force are already afoot. We're talking about a few thousand men with rapid means of transportation and deployment, supported by light armoured vehicles and air power.
    What's the point in us having a European Army? Certainly one that includes the French...

I am sure the French (and everyone else for that matter) are asking the same question of the British... ;)
  • Options
    Actually pnj, your assessment is way off the mark regardless of its sincerity.

NATO is not about to disband in any way shape or form, you can bank on that.

As for the current disagreements over Patriot Missile deployment in Turkey, well... that is a viable and legitimate debate taking place within the organisation. Article 5 refers only to solidarity of the members in the event of an attack upon one of its members. Since noone has attacked Turkey (least of all the Iraqis) that consideration cannot even be raised in this current political debate.
  • Options
    Clandestine, I think that's what the French said too.

If there's an attack on Turkey, "we'd be the first there...something like that they said.

So, maybe there would be a NATO without the US since we seem to be spliting the alliance in two. Plus, I don't see the benefit to America of NATO. In fact, I see the benefit to a stronger alliance with Russia because of their oil.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The plans for a European Rapid Reaction Force are already afoot. We're talking about a few thousand men with rapid means of transportation and deployment, supported by light armoured vehicles and air power.

Who wouldn't have got used in Kosovo, and who wouldn't be getting used in Iraq...

Problem is that the Europeans aren't as united as we would like to think.

I am sure the French (and everyone else for that matter) are asking the same question of the British... ;)

I'll bet they are. No-one wants to have to use their armed forces and apparently only the Brits seem willing (or foolish) enough to stand up and be counted... ;)
  • Options
    Given the opposition from both his own party and the majority of the British public, you might want to rephrase that last statement to "Tony Blair"....
  • Options
    There's an article today on Yahoo USA. Some politicians etc. from the USA were in Europe this weekend to discuss NATO's future. They said two things. First France, Germany and Belgium are the ones that are isolated from the US, UK and rest of the world.

2nd, Germany, which relies on businesses serving America's 100,000 man army in Germany has the most to lose in a proposal. In Kuwait, the US has a base manned, usually by a very small crew who protect the supplies and equipment stored there. That's what the US sees as it's future in Europe. It may open a new base in Romania to replace its reliance on Germany.

Hey, with the EU and anti-American friends and all, maybe Germany can get it's growth down to 0%. It's already broken EU's guidelines for debt.
  • Options
    Someday when youre old enough to actually experience the countries you revile so comfortably from your protected suburban environment, perhaps youll finally learn how propagandized you have been.
  • Options
    Or, if they ever stand for something other than making a buck. The UK is standing for something...so is Spain, Poland, Italy, Romania...all of new Europe.

I think the problem is that even within Europe, Germany and France are losing their influence. Only little Belgium has gone along with them. They're isolated within NATO, the EU and Europe.
  • Options
    Weong again friend. On this side of the pond its the UK looking increasingly isolated.
  • Options
    Stand for something?

I didn't realise self-interest was a particularly holy cause!
  • Options
    Ah but Toadborg it is as long as its the Bush admin's self interest! ;)
  • Options
    Right now the reality is France and Germany and that waffle country are the ones that are marginalized.

The majority is with the UK and US. But I still think the US will pull back from NATO. All of which the left wing should like. I just read today that the unions in France are Communist led. No wonder they disrupt the economy so much there.
  • Options
    Interesting math you have as well pnj. So far the EU has 15 countries, of those UK, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, and Italy are in support of the US position, that leaves 10 opposed. Now we have 10 more pending membership, of which Poland, Czech Republic, and Hungary (hardly pivotal powers in any sense) are in support.

By all calculations, that leaves the real "majority" with a position quite deifferent from what you claim.
  • Options
    Thats before you consider the actual support of the population which even here appears to be fairly strongly against the position of our lovely democratic govt.........
  • Options
    Trust the French to be at the centre of an awkward stance, I bet Saddam is pissing himself. I don't know where Bush and Blair get all their patience from, at least the majority of the EU are behind them, as usual its the French who need a kick up the backside to get them in gear. What an absolute mess this is fast becoming, we should just go in and get it over and done with.
  • Options
    Seems to be a contagious plague of bath mathematics here. lol.

5 out of 15 isnt a majority unless perhaps you live in some alternate dimension.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb
    I don't know where Bush and Blair get all their patience from, at least the majority of the EU are behind them,

Sorry mate, did you see Clandestines maths a few posts up?
  • Options
    It just clearly stated on the news that France, Germany and Belgium had apposed this Turkey / NATO scenario, whereas the rest of europe had backed America, Australia and Canada.
  • Options
    Thats within NATO though which is seperate from the EU and neither of which represent 'Europe'..........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Thats within NATO though which is seperate from the EU and neither of which represent 'Europe'..........

Either way you've got your three lone rangers, all this delaying the inevitable is starting too cause uneccessary damage to everyone, it needs sorting and fast.
  • Options
    The NATO issue is its own matter, don't confuse positions on one issue with overall positions on war.

The NATO matter involves the timing for placing Patriot Missile batteries in Turkey. The US wants it done immediately, basically signalling a rush to war regardless of all other considerations currently in play, whilst the three detracting NATO members do not agree with the urgency preferring not to give carte blanche to those who so desperately want war as soon as possible.
  • Options
    causing unnecessary damage to everyone? lol. Sounds precisely what an increasingly opposed war would do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    The NATO issue is its own matter, don't confuse positions on one issue with overall positions on war.

The NATO matter involves the timing for placing Patriot Missile batteries in Turkey. The US wants it done immediately, basically signalling a rush to war regardless of all other considerations currently in play, whilst the three detracting NATO members do not agree with the urgency preferring not to give carte blanche to those who so desperately want war as soon as possible.

So in other words, the world is squabbling over issues which aren't of a massive amount of importance. War is inevitable, why the hell can't the French and whoever else currently arsing about just accept that and get on with it, instead we have this childish drama played out with nothing to gain. We could of gone in and virtually sorted this out by now, but oh no, were months down the line and currently fast approaching a self destruct exercise. Its embarrasing for all concerned.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    causing unnecessary damage to everyone? lol. Sounds precisely what an increasingly opposed war would do.

Thats not even an issue, there is going to be a war, why are people still trying to suggest otherwise, have people lost a grip on reality or what ?
  • Options
    pnj, the great majority of the world is either fully against the war or very sceptical. It is only the US and UK, the right wing little Prime Ministers of Spain and Italy and a handful of others who have signed a letter of support in a laughable attempt to give some life to the pro-war movement.

New opinion polls released today show that a staggering 90% of the Spanish people are against the war. I don't know what the figures are in other countries but I would imagine the anti-war group dominates in all nations concerned.

So when you think of isolation, think about Dubya, poodle Blair, Hitler-in-disguise Prime Ministers Berlusconni and Aznar and the right wing Prime Minister of the Australia versus pretty much the rest of the world.

Who is isolated now? Who is (rightly or wrongly) experiencing the biggest backlash against one's nation by others ever seen?
  • Options
    Clandestine: Poland, Czech Republic, and Hungary are on our side too. In fact, some special troops have been training in Hungary for a few months.

Larger issue: NATO is deadlocked and when it comes to the war on terror, that's American lives France and Germany are gambling with through delays.