Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

british standing shoulder to shoulder?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You'll have to ask Winston Churchill those questions.... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    MR,

As for the part about Clandestine, think of it as a comment about Neville Chamberlain...

Without Neville, the toll of WWII might have been far lower. Instead the situation went to the point where soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines of many nations placed their lives into the grinder, did their duty and returned the world to a semblance of sanity....all because Neville and his like failed to deal with reality..

Please tell me you were being ironic. Chamberlain was dealing with reality. The Conservatives were far more concerned with Soviet Russia than Nazi Germany, and saw Germany as a "bulwark against communism" to quote Boyce. And who knows, if Chamberlain had stood up to the march into the Rhineland, then maybe Hitler would have fallen and a competent Nazi would have taken over and then, I believe the expression you Americans like to use " We'd be speaking German right now". Finally, 3rd September 1939, Britain and France deliver ultimatums to Hitler. Pray tell me, when was the US' ultimatum delivered?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Citizen_Bertie

Please tell me you were being ironic. Chamberlain was dealing with reality. The Conservatives were far more concerned with Soviet Russia than Nazi Germany, and saw Germany as a "bulwark against communism" to quote Boyce. And who knows, if Chamberlain had stood up to the march into the Rhineland, then maybe Hitler would have fallen and a competent Nazi would have taken over and then, I believe the expression you Americans like to use " We'd be speaking German right now". Finally, 3rd September 1939, Britain and France deliver ultimatums to Hitler. Pray tell me, when was the US' ultimatum delivered?

A "competent" Nazi? Like who? More likely would have been a change in power with a different party controlling the government.

Seems you forgot the invasion of Poland in your analysis of the period...maybe you also forgot that Britain and France didn't actually take any significant action until Germany attacked France and Belgium in the spring of 1940?

Of course, maybe the US shouldn't have gotten involved at all... we could have ignored the German declaration of war. Could have chosen not to risk our ships to the attacks of U-Boats long before that declaration of war.

We didn't create the problem on the European continent. We did play a large part in correcting it.

Are you suggesting that in the future we should tell the EU when they need to get their head out of their ass? :rolleyes: