Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Euro kidding right UK?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by RoyalSubject
    Is it Portugal, Spain and Italy that don't meet EMU standards yet were still allowed to join?

Some Eurozone countries have to improve their fiscal policies but that is about it. Germany is in trouble because it has too great a budget deficit.
  • Options
    People in the UK put in more time at work than Europeans. More character: WW2. The French collaborated with the Nazis. (Lean your history.) Switzerland and Sweden were neutral...although Switzerland was totally into laundering Nazi loot.
  • Options
    pnj, youre digging yourself in further and making yourself look completely ignorant.

You my friend need to go back and your history im afraid.

Only a protion of the french establishment collaborated with the NAzis. You might be wise to recall that there was a substantial resistance movement in France that worked consistently to sabotage Nazi holdings until the liberation. In fact the resistance was vital in facilitating the success of D-Day.

You had best tone down your unknowledgeable statements aabout European nationalities and there work ethic. You're insulting people and nations of whom you have no firsthand knowledge.
  • Options
    Neutral regarding the Nazi's. Defend that. Especially when Norway sacrified so much and is MUCH smaller than Sweden.
  • Options
    What are you rambling about???

France was invaded. it was not neutral toward the Nazis. Geez, now i can see why we are ranked 65th or lower in world education standards.

Youre being taught utter crap which has no bearing on actual history.
  • Options
    pnj, do you know the working hours and conditions of workers in Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, Luxemburg to name but a few?

Oh wait, the Spanish have siestas after lunch. They're clearly sooo lazy! :rolleyes:

As for character, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think Britain has more character than, say Italy? Or is that you've watched Austin Powers and think the UK is the ultimate cool place to live?
  • Options
    Europeans work less...which is good for the workers but then don't bitch about the economic non-growth. This includes amount of vacation time etc. The US still has one of the world's fastest growing economies even with the down turn...because we work for it.

Sweden and Switzerland were neutral except when it came to laundering Nazi stolen money.

And today, Europeans don't spend enough to defend themselves. I want the US to totally pull out of Europe. Let Europeans pay for their own defense. France's navy is from the 50's.

Alladin: English character regarding the UK's stand in WW2 and once again the war on terror and Iraq. Any idiot can sit around and do nothing and stand for nothing. Maybe you respect that. I don't.
  • Options
    What you are seeing is Tony Blair's stand on the WoT, not the UK's. Even his own Party, let alone cabinet arent in support of him and more so with each passing week.

You also continue to make ridiculous claims about European workers when you have never once set foot on European soil.

For your info, the American worker is nowhere near compared to what he/she was in the heydays of our industrial output in the 50's. Today Americans are just as lazy as anywhere else on the globe and much of the hard labour that fuels our economy is done by immigrants not US citizens. Add to that all the foregin industry in our country and you have a much more comprehensive picture of why we have a faster GDP growth rate than other nations (although still below some SE Asian nations growth rates).
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Europeans work less...
    Than whom? Just to clarify that Britain is part of Europe. Being from Spain I can tell you for a fact that the British don’t work longer or harder than the Spanish
    And today, Europeans don't spend enough to defend themselves. I want the US to totally pull out of Europe. Let Europeans pay for their own defense. France's navy is from the 50's.
    Good. Can you start a motion and email it to your fellowmen? I’d very much like to see the US military to totally pull out of Europe.

By the way, I am PROUD that we in Europe spend a small fraction of what you spend on defence. A military force is a necessary evil, not something to cheer about as the biggest asset of a nation.

Alladin: English character regarding the UK's stand in WW2 and once again the war on terror and Iraq. Any idiot can sit around and do nothing and stand for nothing. Maybe you respect that. I don't.
    Character? :lol: If there is something Blair (not the English) have shown during the Iraqi stand off is LACK of character. If Bush says “jump” Blair says “how high?” Character indeed.
  • Options
    I disagree about Blair, national defense and the work ethic of Americans.

But it's fun to argue with you both. It's nice to have someone who likes Americans on my side posting here too though. :cool:
  • Options
    I love Americans pnj, but i dont like American claims which are factually untrue and hopelessly embarrassing to hear you saying as a fellow American about a continent and people's of whom you know absolutely nothing beyond what you see on tv or read in a book.
  • Options
    See that photograph of the guy with the 'perfect' body next to what's 'is name's details; does anybody think that he/she may be a wishful thinker? A very wishful thinker ;)

The words Freud and sexual frustration spring to mind!

Or is it just me :confused:
  • Options
    Aint that right phnnaaahrr phnnaahrr jsurferpoet :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by White Rabbit
    I don't understand why the EURO has to be imposed on the nation. How exactly does it benefit the average man on the street like you or me? The benefit will only be for the other European countries (or should I say companies) as after all, what it's really all about is big companies trying to make as much money as they possibly can.

Most pro-EMU people reckon that membership would lower prices. Inflation in Britain is not that high (and hasn't been for some time) so it generally local taxation that makes prices higher in the UK (which would not necessarily change if we did join the Euro).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    do you know the working hours and conditions of workers in Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, Luxemburg to name but a few?

?

The UK has amongst the longest working hours in the EU.
  • Options
    Which doesnt automatically signify that those longer hours are used more productively than working time elsewhere in the EU.
    German productivity/man hour is considerably higher than just about any other country in Europe despite the flagging economy.
  • Options
    See that photograph of the guy with the 'perfect' body next to what's 'is name's details; does anybody think that he/she may be a wishful thinker? A very wishful thinker

I think you'll find that actually is him!

John (pnj) I had hoped that you'd see that Britain was not the same as Blair when I gave you the link to this place. Now i'm saying it, BLAIR DOES NOT STAND FOR BRITAIN!!!

I know a German who works 18 hour days, much like my father, so the european work ethic thing is wrong. The fact that American businesses keep psychiatrists in work by giving their employees only 2 weeks paid leave a year does not mean you're working for your economy any harder than anyone else in the world I'm afraid!
  • Options
    Related topic..........

Anyone see that anti-Euro advert at the cinemas?

What a load of bullshit, I have lost all respect or liking for the celbrities that appeared in that advert........
  • Options
    Haven't seen it but heard all about it a few months ago when the campaign was launched. The link to Hitler (however short it might be) is an absolute disgrace.
  • Options
    I would just hope that the UK could find a way to increase trade with different countries and stay out of the UN so it keeps its autonomy in tack. The example of outlawing cosmetics made with animal testing is such an example of "big government" and more crap to get through. And the EU does that time and again.
  • Options
    The supranational aspects of the EU are the most negative elements of the organisation. But that is simply an inherent part of membership (as it was when the EC was first founded in the 1950's).
  • Options
    The example of outlawing cosmetics made with animal testing is such an example of "big government" and more crap to get through. And the EU does that time and again.

And I couldn't agree more with it.

If you leave it to certain individual countries (not to mention companies who make the products in question) then you'd never get a ban on animal testing. Same thing goes for fishing quotas and maximum length of fishing nets.

Sadly some people put economic interest before environment or welfare. So I drink to the EU imposing rules on such issues.
  • Options
    But why not let the consumer make that choice Alladin. Then the companies using animals will stop. It's about keeping govenments small....not having them control everything because then you have what Sweden has where people are taxed so much it there's a point where they're better off not working.
  • Options
    Okay, dunno how I missed tis discussion but I've finally decided to throw my hat into the ring. Sorry if this is long, but I had a few points that I need to make...
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    what most Brits fail to appreciate …
    … is that final decisions at the EU level are the responsibility of the national Ministers anyways.

Yeah, that’s great.

At least it would be if it wasn’t for the fact that there are going to be more than 20 national ministers all looking for what is in the best interests of their country. Now, if your minister is a lone voice…or one of a minority…

Well, basically if he is, then he might as well not go there. The democracy of the country is usurped by the remaining member states.

Unless you want us to believe that the EU only ever acts in the best interests of all countries, all of the time.
    Trouble is that the average EU citizen does not gain sufficient understanding of the EU

Trans: The public doesn’t buy into the EU propaganda…choosing instead to make it’s own mind up.

Or at least they have more faith in what they are being told by the anti-Europe lobby. When you consider that the media you rally against is actually controlled by big business, it does make you wonder about the economic arguments too - bearing in mind that the EU would have us believe that there is nothing to lose for Euro membership and that businesses will only prosper...
    Originally posted by DJP
    Fundamentally, the weakness of Europe like that is that it is too large and different. We cannot expect similar productivity from different places, countries will feel 'burdened' and there is ethno-nationalistic pride stirred by media and negative portrayals.

The Euro represents a loss of a level of UK autonomy. It may well be economically sound, as I believe I argued in the previous thread, but for a nation-state to cede control of it's economy is a dubious idea.

Kerching!

And there, in a nutshell, is the crux of the situation. Membership reduces democracy. Certainly at an individual and national level. Whilst there may be strong economic arguments for a single market, there are very few for political integration.
    But why not let the consumer make that choice Alladin. Then the companies using animals will stop. It's about keeping govenments small....not having them control everything because then you have what Sweden has where people are taxed so much it there's a point where they're better off not working.

Slightly off tangent, there. But you miss a major point.

The consumer has had the choice for a while now, which is why we end up with companies like Body Shop. One of the biggest success stories of this country.

However, price dictates the market (to an extent) and people will look at this first before bringing into consideration ecological or moral issues. Walk down any High Street in the UK and most people will tell you that they don’t support testing on animals, that they are concerned about the environment, that they don’t like "oppressive" companies with few morals (a la Nike, Nestle, McDonalds) and then look at the top selling brands in this country…

Sometimes, a Government has to take a moral stand on an issue. This is one of them.
  • Options
    MoK, the UK does often believe the tabloid crap more than actually documented information on what is really going on here at the EU level. Many of my journalist friends scoff at the blatant ignorance that many people get their knickers in a twist over which are so extremely exaggerated or blatantly false that it puts Britains to shame.

At the end of the day though, as many in Brussels are inclined to say, if the UK is so opposed to the EU then pull out and good riddance. Youll see how untenable such a stance is in time as the economy goes south in a major way.

Trouble is that the UK counts far too heavily on the US special relationship as the safety net, but that net is only as strong as political will of the US which (despite this brief administration interlude of war time solidarity) prefers to deal in terms of trading and strategic "blocks" of coutnries over individual countries.

But continue to bluster, its at least refreshing to see that the type of attitude I recall dealing with at the constituency level when i started out working for a Brit MEP 12 years ago are still making waves amongst the UK public.
  • Options
    But continue to bluster, its at least refreshing to see that the type of attitude I recall dealing with at the constituency level when i started out working for a Brit MEP 12 years ago are still making waves amongst the UK public.

Have you ever considered that perhaps this is because the UK paublic has a point?

Being inside a system gives you a screwy view of what is "reality"...
  • Options
    And one could just as easily point out that adopting the "little England" view as you appear to do is both backward looking and just as screwy if not more so.

But like I suggested, If the UK is so opposed to the EU then by all means withdraw. Otherwise you might do yourself more good by seeking out more than just the exaggerated and paranoid Euro-Sceptic tabloid view of what the EU is and does.
  • Options
    "little England"

I knew that would come out at some point. It's a standard insult to anyone in the UK who doesn't want Union. Just like the dismissal of people opinions as Tabloid induced.

You know, I suspect that if the UK voted "no" we would just have referendum after referendum until we said "yes" - like two other countries I can name of the top of my head...

And yes, I live inside this system. I like it, why should I change it?

If the EU want me to change, then they need to convince me that I should. Just telling me that they are right and I am wrong isn't enough. I want to know how the EU will protect my democratic rights, how my voice will not be diminished. At the moment I have 1/20m of a say in who governs me...
    If the UK is so opposed to the EU then by all means withdraw.

Suits me. Just wish I could persuade some of my countrymen to agree with me.
  • Options
    MoK, the fact that you fail to see just how great a voice Britain has in the Eu demonstrates that you are being lead around by misinformation.

The democratic framework is well established my firend. First off the fact that all decisions are finalised by your own ministers should point you in the direction in which you should be seeking the bulk of your information on how the UK's interests are protected.

Secondly, regardless of how apathetic voters in the UK may be, there are democratically elected Members of the European Parliament which UK citizens have to represent their interests as much in Brussels as in Westminster.

Perhaps if most UK citizens bothered to concern themselves more with the process of decision making at the EU level instead of standing behind The Sun and responding with the ever so intelligent "Up yours Delohrs!" you might actually gain some real insight.

As for the standard Euro-Sceptic argument that the EU is all controlled by unelected bureacrats, well thats utter rubbish. The Maastricht treaty increased the powers of the Parliament specifically to cater to the need for increased democratic control for the public over that of potentially self-seeking Ministers and indeed the bureaucracy of the Commission. It's called Co-decision and it extends to an ever increasing range of legislative areas where Parliament must be satisfied or else a given proposal can be vetoed by directly elected Parliamentarians regardless of what Ministers want.

Why don't you come over and familiarise yourself with this alleged "monster" before you condemn it out of hand.
  • Options
    Secondly, regardless of how apathetic voters in the UK may be, there are democratically elected Members of the European Parliament which UK citizens have to represent their interests as much in Brussels as in Westminster

In the UK we elect 100% of the representatives of the Commons (don't get me started on the Lords). What % of the EU parliament do we elect?
    As for the standard Euro-Sceptic argument that the EU is all controlled by unelected bureacrats, well thats utter rubbish.

I know. You don't need to convince me of that.
    Why don't you come over and familiarise yourself with this alleged "monster" before you condemn it out of hand.

And therein lies a problem. In order for you to convince me that the EU is right, I must visit the EU.

Why can't the EU come to us? The EU is trying to convince us, not the other way around. Perhaps if they put some effort into it they might succeed...

Actually, as a side issue, can you explain the decision to decant to Strasborg. Can you explain how that is in the interests of the population of Europe?