Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Euro kidding right UK?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know that the European Common Market is already one of the world's important market. But once the UK gives up its currency as well as some of its autonomy isn't that a heavy sacrifice. I read studies, that I can't substantiate here, that listed the British as being more productive. And isn't the UK less leftist? Also won't the UK lose agility with another layer of politicians?

Comments

• Options
    Are you sure you want to do this?

Bear in mind that there are a few economics students here!

You might want to check out a couple of the other threads on this before you start. This, I think, was the best of them:

€uro Debate

:)
  • Options
    were fucked if we do and fucked if we dont.
  • Options
    Re: Euro kidding right UK?
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I know that the European Common Market is already one of the world's important market. But once the UK gives up its currency as well as some of its autonomy isn't that a heavy sacrifice. I read studies, that I can't substantiate here, that listed the British as being more productive. And isn't the UK less leftist? Also won't the UK lose agility with another layer of politicians?

Of course it's a heavy sacrifice. One that should not be undertaken for a long time.

And how do you define 'more productive'? France and Germany have higher productivity rates than the UK (if measured using GDP per worker for example).
  • Options
    thanks djb. Yeah, I haven't studied economics yet.

More productive. Well here's something I read. In Sweden, some shops are only open 5 hours a day. It's because if the owners earn too much money, the government begins to take 70% out of their earnings. so people in the UK work more. Of course, the article also said health coverage is total in Sweden. In the US, you lose your job and if you stay unemployed for a long time, there are some government programs but you won't get the best health care. However, Germany's economy is a mess compared to ours and their are more jobs. One reason for this is that if it's more expensive for a company to operate in Germany...even if it's for good reason like the benefit of workers...they just go and build in another country.

So I don't know what the answer is.
  • Options
    Well I guess it depends how you measure productivity then.
  • Options
    My take on life is smaller government is better. To live under one that's part of a super market with its own rules/initiatives...I just don't see how it can be efficient.

In Germany, people can go to training classes to start new careers. Trouble is, what many people are training to do, free of charge, there are no jobs openings for right now. This just illustrates the well meaning inefficiencies of big government.
  • Options
    Actually the national political machine that is Washington (and surrounding areas) dwarfs the EU aparatus considerably pnj.

By and large the EU only has authority in areas of common interest to all member states and the rest is the domain of national governments to handle.

Now having said that, what most Brits fail to appreciate (given the very low level of EU information circulated to the general public in the UK apart from inflammatory tabloid rubbish) is that final decisions at the EU level are the responsibility of the national Ministers anyways. Which means that in cases where the EU gets flamed by the public over a given policy or harmonised regulation, it is their own government Ministers which have agreed upon it.
  • Options
    I didn't know that Clandestine. A peaceful, prosperous Europe is a good thing for the US I've read.
  • Options
    Indeed, which is why I have always been a staunch believer in a cohesive EU. Trouble is that the average EU citizen does not gain sufficient understanding of the EU and its processes in order to appreciate the advantages that a unified Europe provides.

Too much bickering ends up clouding the whole Eu topic over such issues as Farm subsidies, heck the whole Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) in general, as well as Fisheries.

If the EU is criticised for not fulfilling a greater role in areas like Defence or Industrial Policies, its because to date the CAP represents more than 60% of the overall EU budget expenditure to the dtreriment of other vital concerns.

With the coming enlargement I suspect we will see great dilution of interests without subsequent reforms of the CAP. This will keep the process of effective integration and social, economic reform at a snail's pace, sad to say.
  • Options
    I just read the market is banning cosmetics that had been tested on animals. Now that sounds great but to me it's also an example of government becoming bigger and interfering. Some people will have to be hired to check that all the members are adhering to the latest ban. Public opinion could do the same job...free. It does in the US. People have the choice to buy cosmetics that haven't been tested on animals or not.
  • Options
    Cohesive, yes, but not integrated to the extent that we become a virtual federation. Fundamentally, the weakness of Europe like that is that it is too large and different. We cannot expect similar productivity from different places, countries will feel 'burdened' and there is ethno-nationalistic pride stirred by media and negative portrayals.

The Euro represents a loss of a level of UK autonomy. It may well be economically sound, as I believe I argued in the previous thread, but for a nation-state to cede control of it's economy is a dubious idea.
  • Options
    DJP, don't fool yourself. No country in the world has economic sovereignty any longer. The economy is global and financial exhange markets do not respect national borders.

I suggest you read Kenichi Omae's book, The Bordlerless World to get an understanding of the myth of economic sovereignty.
  • Options
    Even with globalisation countries still possess monetary and fiscal policies. Why should the former (and maybe even the latter in the future) be discarded?
  • Options
    the pound is often stronger than the Euro. And the biggest member economy, Germany, is in really bad shape in terms of growth and jobs. (I haven't studied economics yet.)
  • Options
    The pound has long been overly inflated without respect to underlying economic strength in the GDP. This is what forced the UK out of the exchange rate mechanism long before the Euro came into being as a tangible currency (though it was a technical unit of financial exchange prior to its use as currency).

Whether the UK joins the Euro sooner or later, economic and business reality make it a huge strain for UK business growth by remaining outside and forcing those who are conducting transnational business to incur unnecessary added cost and lost revenue due to constant conversions.

The nightmare scenarios imagined by the trashier UK tabloids have not come to pass on the continent and will unlikely take place in the UK should it adopt the Euro.

As for Germany, their crisis is systemic in nature and due to unresolved lingering problems incurred by a badly and too highly optimistic unification process in which the Deutschmark was severely diluted when then Chancellor Kohl issued a 1:1 rate for the Ostmark in order to provide some solvency for the new reunited East German lander.

Additional ripple effects caused by financial overextension in the business comunity from the late 90's have also contributed to this mess.

To say its the fault of the Euro might sell newspapers in the UK, but its far from the actualities of the German economic decline.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine

Whether the UK joins the Euro sooner or later, economic and business reality make it a huge strain for UK business growth by remaining outside and forcing those who are conducting transnational business to incur unnecessary added cost and lost revenue due to constant conversions.

The fact that monetary policy is decided by the ECB makes Euro membership foolhardy.

Such an interest rate would not be set for the benefit of the British economy. Besides, the UK is outperforming many other Eurozone nations now. We don't need to join.
  • Options
    Time will tell on that score. Im not bothered either way personally.
  • Options
    the pound is often stronger than the Euro. And the biggest member economy, Germany, is in really bad shape in terms of growth and jobs. (I haven't studied economics yet.)

Virtually all eurozone economies are suffering from lower GDP growth. Part of Germany's problems are that the labour market needs to be liberalised. Also, the poorer economic performance of the former DDR (, i.e. East Germany) is hindering the former Western part.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Also, the poorer economic performance of the former DDR (, i.e. East Germany) is hindering the former Western part.

... and move this up a scale. The poorer economic performance of e.g. Italy/Poland/wherever would hinder the UK's performance in a Euro economy.
  • Options
    Also, all of the cities in the EU have become much more expensive to live in than London. In fact, Oslo is up there with Japan's cities and Hong Kong.
  • Options
    Is it Portugal, Spain and Italy that don't meet EMU standards yet were still allowed to join?

All it takes is the jobs to go from poor areas to the prosperous and a country will pull out, thanks probably to a right-wing government, and the Euro will collapse. I don't want to be in it when it does. (and it will)

Also when Markets are low we lower the rate of the pound. We loose that ability so Britain will go to hell as long as France and Germany are prosperous (and Vice Versa)

Saying that it is true. We're screwed if we don't join.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RoyalSubject
    Saying that it is true. We're screwed if we don't join.
    we're fucked if we do and fucked if we don't....
  • Options
    pnj, and you know this from your extensive time living in Europe??? LOL.

For your information my friend, London is far more expensive a city to live in than most continental cities. The cost of living in Brussels is probably half that of London, especially in the housing sector.
  • Options
    I don't understand why the EURO has to be imposed on the nation. How exactly does it benefit the average man on the street like you or me? The benefit will only be for the other European countries (or should I say companies) as after all, what it's really all about is big companies trying to make as much money as they possibly can. The Euro only need be a currency for european trade. It's interesting to note that prices in France have actually been rounded UP to compensate for the Euro and not DOWN as was originally agreed. I know this from personal experience as I was living in France at the time when this Euro business all took place. And what happened about the harmonisation of prices through Europe? You still pay more for your milk and bread in Italy than you do in France!! So really the only thing that has changed are the pictures on the notes.
  • Options
    Clandestine, go to CNN Europe. They have them listed. London isn't any more. Oslo is the one that's way up there.
  • Options
    Ive lived over here for over 12 years, trust me when i tell you that whatever CNN says, London is matched in cost of living by only a handful of cities on the continent. Brussels is well below London for cost.

That Scandanvia is costly wasnt your initial conjecture. You specifically claimed that London was less expensive than continental cities which is blatantly false.
  • Options
    Clandestine, go to CNN Europe. They have them listed. London isn't any more. Oslo is the one that's way up there.
    i think you should visit london and then go tell cnn what a bunch of arseholes they are my man!
  • Options
    well personly i dont wana join the euro i think we should stay with our queen its wot makes england england dont give in please
  • Options
    I agree lia. And the British people work harder and have more character than most of Europe.
  • Options
    That statement is extremely bigotted and not supportable pnj. You had best be careful of highly insulting remarks like that. Especially since more Europeans probably know about and have been to NJ whilst you my friend have never once been to England or to the continent and are unqualified to make such claims about their people.