Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Want this flat!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im trying hard to see why its `immoral` it might not be how you choose to live your life, but shes not hurting ANYONE ffs. calm down everyone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nikki_S

if you left home so early you obviously have never known the desire for independance(yeh yeh i know im not independant coz im getting benefit there) but you know what i mean.
    B]

If your going to quote me and then attack me be sure to get your facts straight first.

I know too well the desire for independance, I grew up as one of 6, I shared a room with foster children and my siblings until I left home.
    I also know what its like to be desperate to get away from an abusive partner, the desperation that makes one starve to put food in the mouths of their children, the desperation of relying on benefit.
    Rainbow, whats immoral is people taking a benefit not because they 'truly need' it but because for their own reasons want it. Compared to people using the benefit system in the way it was intended this appears selfish.
    You may not think you are hurting anyone else, but in fact you are. The benefit system needs funding, and this comes from the tax payer. The benefit system is slow, this is because of the quantity of people claiming, thus slowing the proceedure for people who really do need help.
    To add to this for 'selfish' reasons I would consider immoral.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nikki_S
    dont get onto the whole grow up bit when you come out with things like ur last sentence, were u in full time education when u got this job, coz id rather work towards a qualification for a good job than jump from one crap job to the other on tills in safeway...
    ... which is what your 17-year old friend with a baby will probably do.
  • Options
    We ALL take more than we need in this society, some more than others. Theres lots of things that one person may consider immoral that others wouldnt. I personally think calling this immoral is undermining the term.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    im trying hard to see why its `immoral` it might not be how you choose to live your life, but shes not hurting ANYONE ffs. calm down everyone.

I think you are talking from experience here! is it hard to see that she does not NEED this she is by this behaviour hurting people because others NEED the flat! I think you need to wake up and see that you are not being fair here!
  • Options
    We ALL take more than we need in this society, some more than others.

With reference to this topic dont include me in the taking more than we need.
    Ive never lived out of my means. I have lived by what I can afford.
    If I couldnt afford like say a 2 bedroomed flat then I wouldnt bother looking at it in the 1st place.
    Im teaching my daughter the same now, she wants stuff from the shop and I tell her I havent got enough pennies. She gets pocket money so if there is something that she wants I tell her to save her pocket money. Do you know many 7 year olds who would save pocket money because they wanted a new pair of jeans? Dont take that the wrong way, she doesent buy her own clothes, but id just bought her a new skirt, so if she wanted them jeans, because they were so trendy(her words) I told her to save her money and buy them, which is what she did :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by barbie

... which is what your 17-year old friend with a baby will probably do.

or perhaps she'll stick to her plan to have this year out of college looking after the baby while she lets her boyf go to coollege, and then next year put it in the college creche while she finishes her education.

:rolleyes: So narrow minded
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Ive never lived out of my means. I have lived by what I can afford.
    If I couldnt afford like say a 2 bedroomed flat then I wouldnt bother looking at it in the 1st place.

dont you have a mortgage?
    some people would say neither a borrower or a lender be.
    thats not what i personally think, but you must see that your views are only your views and In my opinion its not immoral for a student to recieve housing benefit. I think actually that students should recieve MORE help. Id love to go to college but i cant bloody afford to and therefore when i go back to work im likely to be stuck in some dead end job, when what i really want is a career. If I could recieve a bit of help to further my education then id take it without hesitation. The government seems to want to make further education only for the rich - keep people in their place, and has obviously brainwashed a lot of the public into agreeing with them.
  • Options
    We ALL take more than we need in this society, some more than others. Theres lots of things that one person may consider immoral that others wouldnt. I personally think calling this immoral is undermining the term.

Doesnt make it right though does it? No, it just makes it more difficult for everybody.
    self self self thats all anyone ever thinks about, how about looking at the bigger picture?
    No, because that means being responsible for your fellow man, something that seems to be forgotten in our society.
  • Options

In my opinion its not immoral for a student to recieve housing benefit. I think actually that students should recieve MORE help. .

Its not immoral for a student to claim housing benefit, some students HAVE to move away from home in order to attend college, uni whatever, they NEED the help. Your missing the point.
    Its a different situation altogether when a student, already with a roof over her head decides that she wants to move up the road to better accomodation that she cant afford, but hey ho we'll all pay for it for her, isnt she the fortunate one!
    Why is that ok in your thinking?
    :confused:
  • Options
    Rainbow you mention Mortgage, I can afford my mortagge, I dont get help from anybody. I could go out as we speak and get probably double the mortgage iv got now, however that to me is being very silly, because by the time I would have paid my mortgage id be left with nothing.

As ive already said I am NOT against young people getting some help, but what I have got a problem with is like the situation which Nikki first posted about. She doesent need a bigger place, she just wants to move there because it is nicer. We all want nice things, but at least have the sense to wait till you can afford it.
  • Options
    well stop doing it then , eat nothing but brown rice, go and live in a cave somewhere, use nothing but the bare minimum needed to survive. maybe thats taking it to extremes, but why is what you do ok, but what someone else does, not ok? I know, lets force nikki out of college and into a WORKHOUSE, that will teach the lazy scrounging bitch, how dare she want somewhere nice to live while working hard to get an education. If she gets a good enough education andf gets a good job, shell be paying plenty in taxes then. Even people on benefits pay taxes on everything they buy. same as everyone else
  • Options
    I agree with your last post Becky, I do think it would be silly for her to move to a bigger place, but i just dont think its immoral that shes even considering it.
  • Options
    Rainbow you are seriously missing the point here. Nikki is adequately housed, she didnt come here saying her parents were kicking her out, she didnt say her boyfriend said she couldnt stay with him. Nikki is ok where shes at, at least by what she posted thats the impression Ive got.
    If her situation was totally different like she had been forced to leave home or something, then Id say Nikki go get some help and get a flat. It totally depends on the circumstances.
  • Options
    well as ive already said i dont think it would be a good idea for her to move, but i can understand her being very tempted since it apparently the house of her dreams that shes always wanted to live in. Just because i disagree with you on a particular issue, doesnt mean im missing the point. Its not black and white.
  • Options
    nikki get your flat !

Your gonna pay tax through your arse when you get proper job so you may as well use the freebies now.

The rest of you cop on !

How can you judge !

On and the ones of you with kids do you claim child benefits ???

You leeches on society :lol: (being sarcastic)
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I agree with the Nun.

All the students I have known that lived away from home have got a loan of some kind, and worked part-time to supplement this meagre amount. I know you can't get a full-on student loan at college, but you can get a career development loan from some banks (probably govt funded somehow).

Sure...I get government funding...about £4,000 a year which goes back with interest when I start earning about ten grand (over £12,000 to be payed back).

I remember you saying it was your dream flat...great...but how many have their dream home at 17 years of age...not many!

Anyways, most students share a house with others, so you're already on up on that anyway.

That post was not meant to be 'having a pop'.
    :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by cheekychick

some students HAVE to move away from home in order to attend college, uni whatever, they NEED the help. Your missing the point.
    They don't get any blinking housing benefit though do they!
  • Options
    Just because i disagree with you on a particular issue, doesnt mean im missing the point. Its not black and white.

Can I ask what you disagree with in my postings re this thread?

You have said you dont think its a good idea for her to move?

To be honest we actually seem to be agreeing here, we both think she should stay in her current accomodation.

As I have already said young people in a vunerable situation should be housed, they should have funding. I just totally disagree with someone wanting bigger and better things just because * They want a nice flat *, then expect it to be paid for.
  • Options
    ok we kind of agree then LOL, except for the morality of it, I dont believe its a moral issue.
  • Options
    LOL least we sorted that one out:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by barbie

They don't get any blinking housing benefit though do they!

Tell me about it - and i want a good education too!