Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Want this flat!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am 17 n my fella is 19, he has in the past two month got a new lat and put laminate flooring down in the front room. Now a flat that my sister used to live in is going on my street where both my mam and sister live and ive always wanted that flat, now i dunno if i wanna live on my own and my fella wont move!!!!!!!!! He says the rent be too expensive coz its 2 bedroomed but if im the person on the rent book ill get it paid for me coz im in full time education!!!

Comments

• Options
    Ummmm, whats the question?
  • Options
    Are you sure the flat will get paid for ?

I hope not, why should you get a flat and have it for free? its people with your attitude who give young girls a bad reputation:mad:
  • Options
  • Options
    Re: Want this flat!
    Originally posted by Nikki_S
    He says the rent be too expensive coz its 2 bedroomed but if im the person on the rent book ill get it paid for me coz im in full time education!!!

firstly, if you are in a 2bed flat on your own then you would only be entitled to claim part of the rent from the council, they dont just pay what you ask, there are strict regulations to stop people taking the piss....:yeees:

Also, if your boyfriend moves in with you, I guess he is a wage earner, his wage will be taken into consideration when calculating benefit, so you wouldnt get any rent help. If you try and claim fraudulently be sure they will find out and prosecute you. The council are not stupid, and regularly send out officers to check information on claimants.

Either way, if you cant afford the rent yourself then forget about getting a flat until you can, we dont pay our council tax to house people like yourself.
  • Options
    Re: Want this flat!
    I am 17 n my fella is 19, he has in the past two month got a new lat and put laminate flooring down in the front room. Now a flat that my sister used to live in is going on my street where both my mam and sister live and ive always wanted that flat, now i dunno if i wanna live on my own and my fella wont move!!!!!!!!! He says the rent be too expensive coz its 2 bedroomed but if im the person on the rent book ill get it paid for me coz im in full time education!!!
    Why should you get a two-bed flat for free when I work my arse off to pay the rent on mine? Hey, why not get pregnant, then you might get a house!
  • Options
    Re: Re: Want this flat!
    Originally posted by barbie

Why should you get a two-bed flat for free when I work my arse off to pay the rent on mine? Hey, why not get pregnant, then you might get a house!

Well said hun!

Me & my boyf are living over 100 miles away from each other cos at 22/23 and having just left uni we cant afford to move out of home. Also why should you get it paid just cos you're in education? I was at Uni for 3 years and still had to pay rent in my student accomodation!
  • Options
    No question, just felt like a rant.

Erm about all that sponging off the government, because im in full time educataion i cant get a full time job so they help out young people, i cant believe you took such a snobbish attitude!!!! Most young people start out 'sponging' until they can get good jobs to afford the rent. Plus you pay the money to the government because you HAVE to, so dont post as though your some kind of saint, if you had the choice you wouldnt pay!

And by the way, i already 'sponge'. Im under 19 living with my parents, my mam cant get a job coz shes registered disabled and my dad is too old to get hired.

So thanx for al the useful advice there (there was only a few scraps of it there i see, the rest of you are just snobs looking to have a dig!!!!!), most of which i already know coz my 17 year old friend just had a baby and has just got her own place.......go on then, slag her off, coz she doesnt live the life YOU lead, she obviously deserves it :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    Nikki if a young person was genuinely homeless, then I wouldnt have a problem with them getting a flat. The problem I have is when someone like you who isnt homeless, comes with the attitude you have.

By the way, when I left home at a young age I got a job to pay my rent. I didnt SPONGE of anyone, you see I was mature. Maybe you should just grow up a bit.

Snobs :lol: yeah, right ok, if that makes you feel better:)
  • Options
    dont get onto the whole grow up bit when you come out with things like ur last sentence, were u in full time education when u got this job, coz id rather work towards a qualification for a good job than jump from one crap job to the other on tills in safeway...
  • Options
    I had problems with my family so left home at a young age. I worked in a factory for about 2 years, YESa factory, but I wasnt sponging off anyone. I was also earning a damned good wage. I was independent, I paid my rent, went out and had fun, owed nothing to anyone, I then went on to work in a nursing home which was a bit better than a job at Safeways.
    Regardless of what job i did, I didnt sit on my arse and expect everyone else to look after me. I got off my arse and paid my way.

Seems to me that you have no problem sponging of anyone, sorry but I have a bit more respect.
  • Options
    oh please you really have yourself up there on a pedestal dont you. How the hell can you say all i do is sit on my arse all day when im doing a full time college course, at least im doing SOMETHING, i only wsh i had time for a job around my course
  • Options
    You didnt get my point did you? You started this thread saying you wanted a 2 bedroomed flat and it would be paid for you because you were in full time education. Im telling you that because family problems I left home and got a flat. I HAD to get a job to survive, which I did. You appear to have a different view from me, your'e happy to be a sponger......im not :)
  • Options
    I think its well out of order people calling her a sponger when shes in full time education, Thats not sponging, thats getting a bit of help when its needed, thats what the benefits are there for. A sponger would be someone not working or in education with no intention of getting off their arse. Are you all saying that she should leave college and get a job in a factory? I think its good that there are benefits to help people just starting out. Do you honestly think if a few people didnt claim the housing benefit they were entitled to, that you would get some sort of rebate? it makes no difference to you.
  • Options
    I'm in full time education - I also have a part time job i get about £250 a month if i do overtime. I can't afford to move out so i'm still living with my parents i don't expect any body to pay for me i even contribute moeny for food at home and everything.

If your boyfriend has a flat then you are lucky enough already. If you want to be near your mum, move back home?
  • Options
    i agree with what deeb said either move back with her mum if she wants to be near her or move in with her boyfriend, If youre a student, money will be tight even if you get your rent paid, if you live with someone else, you halve a lot of your expenses, like electricity bills etc.
  • Options
    Rainbow sorry i've got to disagree with your 1st post.
    She is already adequatley housed, so why move to a 2 bedroomed flat, just because she wants too? Her boyfriend has the sense to say NO I cant afford it, so as far as im concerned he's no scrounger, but she gives me the impression of "oh yes lets just go and sponge"
    I have no problem with help going to those who need it, but just because someone wants a 2 bedroomed flat I personally think thats taking the mickey.
    Im not saying give up education etc, all im saying is that she isnt on the streets so why not make do with what she has got until she can afford something better. To be honest thats what ive done. Started off in a shitty, horrible bedsit. Moved next to a 1 bedroomed flat. Moved into a 2 bedroomed council house and now im buying my house. Ive always made do with what I can afford, yeah ive lived in a dump but at the end of the day what I have now is mine, ive not had help with rebates, ive lived within my means.
  • Options
    Rainbow raised a good point here Nickki, IF you were to move out to your own place, how would you pay for your food, electric, etc? They are not funded by state. Theres also the difference between what you pay rent and council tax and what you will be given by the council.
    Your parents will loose their child benefit for you, the allowances they get in their benefits for a student dependant, so your all going to be worse off.
    Ive known many students in FULL time education that have worked weekends, evenings for their money. Dont become another drain on society but make a place for yourself in it instead.
  • Options
    What has got peoples backs up Nikki is the fact you seem to feel it is your 'right' to claim benefit in order to leave home.
    The benefit system is struggling to cope paying out for people who have no choice than to claim. Familys like your own who cannot work, parents who cannot take jobs because they cannot afford childcare, people made redundant, people who are ill.
    You have a choice.
    You could live live 'free'(I use this loosely) with your parents while you study to make a better future for yourself.
    Some dont have this luxury, and they are the ones that NEED our benefit system. Yes we HAVE to pay tax to the council anyway, but for each new claimant the money has to come from somewhere......us, the people paying taxes. When you start having 1/2 your wages taken in various taxes you do become concerned about how the money is spent.
  • Options
    I think you all got a bit carried away with what i said, you totally blew up what i said about the benefits, my boyf works fulltime and still gets housin benefit for his flat, if we moved in together hed still have to pay rent but thered be less to pay with me being a full time college student, this is my dream flat which is the point you totally missed, it has laminate all the way through, is absolutely huge and the woman who lived there previously had excellent taste in decor. It is also the flat my sister lived in and absolutely loved but she had to move when she had a second child. You dont realise how great this flat is, and if you were getting your dream home (which you had hoped would be free since the age of being old enuff to live alone) im sure youd take it, even if you needed help with the cash!!!

You say you had problems at home, you probably blew them outta proportion like you did this topic, your family 'problems' were probably no worse than mine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by cheekychick
    What has got peoples backs up Nikki is the fact you seem to feel it is your 'right' to claim benefit in order to leave home.

well no im not saying its my right, ive just been offered a flat on a street where my mum and sister live. Id love to take it and live with my boyfriend but hes just got settled in his new place. Myself and a friend are now considering sharing the flat, if you left home so early you obviously have never known the desire for independance(yeh yeh i know im not independant coz im getting benefit there) but you know what i mean.

Believe it or not i started this as an innocent rant, pissed off with myself and my situation and the timing :o !!!!
  • Options

You say you had problems at home, you probably blew them outta proportion like you did this topic, your family 'problems' were probably no worse than mine.

My problems I had then dont have anything to do with this post. It was you who posted for advice not ME.
    Sorry thats my opinion, I beleive we should live to what we can afford, and if we cant afford it then we CANT have it.

When I 1st got my council house I had NOTHING at all. I was given deck chairs of a friend, didnt have a cooker so had to use the coke fire to make toast over the fire. Got a mattress given and some blankets. You think you have it bad because you cant have a flat thats all done out nice with laminate floring, well im sorry I had nothing, but have gone from nothing to having a lovely house which is mine. Its taken me many years to get where I am, but least I have lived by my means, I think it makes me appreciate what I have got a lot more.

Can I just say, good on ya for trying to get decent qualifications :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Can I just say, good on ya for trying to get decent qualifications :)

Ta

I think maybe we should just leave this topic to rest

Can i close it since i created it?
  • Options
    dont get onto the whole grow up bit when you come out with things like ur last sentence, were u in full time education when u got this job, coz id rather work towards a qualification for a good job than jump from one crap job to the other on tills in safeway...

I am in full time education i find time to get a job i work sundays could work saturdays - i do brownies and st john ambulance and many other voluntary work. I work for my living to get a place in uni i agree with everone else here i manage perfectly well with my life and i am doing a levels FULL TIME you need to grow up else you will turn out one sad lonely bitter young MADAM!
  • Options
    I dont think you have the life experience to comment on this, do you even understand the convo or do u just feel like havin a pop at me?

I somehow dont think a weekend job would be enough for a flat, my boyfriend only just comfortably manages and he works full time!
  • Options

Ta

I think maybe we should just leave this topic to rest

Yeah that might be a good idea :D

No I wouldnt close it, you may get some more advice:)
    But try not to take offence if someone says something you dont agree with. Thats what the boards are for to let people give there views..............yeah:)
  • Options
    I dont think you have the life experience to comment on this, do you even understand the convo or do u just feel like havin a pop at me?

I somehow dont think a weekend job would be enough for a flat, my boyfriend only just comfortably manages and he works full time!

There are many things in life I WANT i dont NEED them i WANT them therefore i am willing to get my grades instead of worrying about some crappy little flat be thankful you hav a roof over your head already some dont even have that! you are wasting valuble time of others in getting home - Do you honestly think it is right you should have this home and others die of starvation - cold - illness when you are not IN NEED OF THIS HOME???? WELL????

I have read the full topic and i do agree with beckyboo people like you really piss me off and i think its wrong you feel the way you do! i understand the "convo" but i also want a 'pop' at you :rolleyes: its fun! :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

but i also want a 'pop' at you :rolleyes: its fun! :D

you had a half decent case until u sed that, doesnt it just say it all.......

You are very naive DEVIL, homeless people cant just roll off the streets into a flat, else why do you think theyd be homeless. If that was the case, then all the split families (like my mate was) would never get homes because its more important in my opinion for a dying 26 yr old to get accomadation than a 17 year old couple due to have a baby that dont live in the same house. And bytheway, this flat is with a housing associationa nd they dont move homeless people into nicer streets like mine until theyve got a good rent history.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

There are many things in life I WANT i dont NEED them i WANT them :D

So if the things you wanted were offered to you on a plate you wouldnt take them?
  • Options

So if the things you wanted were offered to you on a plate you wouldnt take them?

They are not handed to them though ar they!????

You are scrounging! things are not handed to people on a plate if i was given the chance to move into a flat like you no i would not take it is immoral! I am going now things to do i want an education and im going to work for it Goodbye and i hope you get everything you do deserve in life! No honest (im sure you will!) GOODNIGHT :D
  • Options
    *stunned*