Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fireworks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im not sure if this is the right area to post this but its the best one cuz no other board seems suitable.
You know the way the new law has come in that if anyone is found in possesion of fireworks that they are cautioned maybe/fined,etc. Does anyone know if the police act out on this law because 2nite i was caught in possesion of a packet of bangers and a few rockets.what do u think will happen?I honestly think the firework law is really stupid.

Comments

• Options
    I honestly think that using fireworks before November 5th is also stupid and pointless.
    I hope they do start prosecuting, maybe it will save a few lives and stop people using them at 2 in the morning.
  • Options
    I think that another applicable question here is why did you have them?
  • Options
    good question...why were you carrying fireworks? Anyone with any sense doesn't carry fireworks in the street anyway, it's classed as an explosive.
  • Options
    If it stops people setting off fireworks on 31/10 and scaring my cat then its prolly a good thing...
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    If it stops people setting off fireworks on 31/10 and scaring my cat then its prolly a good thing...

More to the point, if it stops some twat having a laugh from setting one off that injures my child, then its prolly a good thing...
  • Options
    I think they should ban the sale of fireworks to the general public, and only have them for big organised displays.
  • Options
    Re: Fireworks
    Originally posted by Shogun2002
    i was caught in possesion of a packet of bangers and a few rockets.

Where did you get you bangers from? When the age for purchasing was raised to 18, a couple of years or so ago, bangers were banned, so was the sale of individual fireworks. Unless a 'display' firework.
  • Options
    Fireworks should not be on sale to the general public, only to organised users with a licence.

Some little shit threw a firework at my dog last year, the poor thing was frightened, ran away, and got hit by a car. She's now hobbling about on three legs. If I ever got my hands on the little shit who threw it....

Fireworks are always going to get into the wrong hands if they're on general sale, even to over 18's.
  • Options
    i wud never throw a firework at a child or an animal...i had the fireworks cuz its halloweeen over here on the 31st..not the 5th of november.
  • Options
    halloween isnt fireworks night though is it? youre supposed to be bobbing for apples on halloween, not setting off bangers.
  • Options
    no rainbow-over here in ireland its different.
  • Options
    Our hallowe'en is 31st October too; we normally have fireworks and bonfires on 5th November, which is Guy Fawkes night. It comemorates Guy Fawkes' attempt to blow up the houses of parliament in the Gunpowder Plot (he failed, was caught and, with his co-conspirators, was hung, drawn and quartered).
  • Options
    i knew about guy fawkes Vox populi, vox Dei but still...halloween is only once a year and shud be celebrated with fireworks,etc.
  • Options
    why should it? Halloween isn't even a proper holiday, and has nothing to do with pyrotechnics anyway. Tell me, when did the druids ever use explosives?

Halloween shouldn't even be tolerated, let alone celebrated. Bloody pagan rituals.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Halloween shouldn't even be tolerated, let alone celebrated. Bloody pagan rituals.

:confused:

Hallowe'en is a contraction of All Hallow Even; the Eve of All Saint's Day. Although originally the date of a pagan Celtic festival (Samhain), the day was adopted as a Christian celebration of the day before All Saint's. It has since become gradually secularised.

It is no more pagan than Christmas Day, which itself was based upon the date of the pagan Roman festival of Saturnalia. Jesus wasn't actually born in December; there wouldn't have been shepherds in the fields for a start.
  • Options
    if that tv program i watched the other day was well informed, halloween is the day we are meant to cast off bad spirits/burdens etc. like a catholic confession, so we have a free spirit for saints day. However, it has been adopted as an excuse for the kiddies to dress up as witches and zombies, and who am i to stop them. I remember all the free sweets i got when i was 10, and they were yummy! (not to mention sickening)

however, fireworks are carried around by teens and irresponsible adults who are drunk/fucking stupid and think its fun to set them off in the street. Its not so bad if u and all ur mates had a couple then found a field and set them up in the middle of this field, but I know the only times ive been at a fireworks display are guyfawkes and huge one in a lifetime celebrations (does anybody remember the millenium?)

Anyway, if it was simply a case of the wrong place at the wrong time, then u were unlucky, but if u imagine the majority of people stopped in the streets with fireworks are out to mess around with disregard for anyone elses safety then you cant blame the police for clamping down. There would be hell to pay if the police let people off walking round these streets and more chldren were maimed. Only last year a girl in england was hanging with her mates when 1 of them threw a firework and it hit her in the face (luckily she survived although her face is badly scarred).

Just think, everybody gets caught in the wrong place at the wrong time even if they had perfectly innocent intentions, but so many other people in the same circumstances arent so innocent - i say its a neccesary evil.
  • Options
    i had fireworks and i was throwing them @ at a landrover like every1 else..its halloween,thats what people do over here mostly but i wasnt caught throwing them @ the police-they just saw me throwing a firework in the middle of the road..no cars/no ppl near it.
  • Options
    i had fireworks and i was throwing them @ at a landrover like every1 else..its halloween,thats what people do over here mostly but i wasnt caught throwing them @ the police-they just saw me throwing a firework in the middle of the road..no cars/no ppl near it.

Well then you're a cunt. No excuses. It because of fuckwit twats like you that people get hurt. You don't throw fireworks moron. If someone jumped off a cliff would you do the same? In your case hopefully yes:rolleyes:
  • Options
    no dick-i dont throw fireworks at people-u dont understand over here?do u live in n.ireland?no thougt not..i dont fire fireworks at wee kids in groups,thats just wrong and some1 would be injured that way.
    How can anyone be injured by a banger in the middle of the road with no1 near it.:confused:
    And about the cliff no i wudnt jump of a cliff.would u.
  • Options
    We're talking about fireworks fuckwit. Not exactly the most reliable of things if not used properly. You admitted yourself that you threw them. So what if somebody comes out their house to find out whats going going on and has half their face melted in reply? YOU ARE A WANKER end of story. You don't throw fireworks. AND what the hell is all this 'over here' shit. Fucking grow up arsehole.
  • Options
    no dick-i dont throw fireworks at people-u dont understand over here?do u live in n.ireland?no thougt not..i dont fire fireworks at wee kids in groups,thats just wrong and some1 would be injured that way.
    How can anyone be injured by a banger in the middle of the road with no1 near it.:confused:
    And about the cliff no i wudnt jump of a cliff.would u.

idiot
  • Options

"Whowhere" is missing the point of halloween.Where we live halloween is one night in the year where we cause trouble and meyhem and throw fireworks at police and set up roadblocks ect.We dont celebrate guys fawkes night,nobody even knows what night it is over here anyway. the spirit of halloween is lost anyway,no one dresses up and goes trick or treating anymore,its now the traditional thing to go mad and "get the police and fire brigade out" .
  • Options
    you_only_ live _once is the only one who knows what it is about.One nite of the year,thats all it is so no Rubberskin im not a wanker,u dont understand so fuck off.
  • Options
    well I hope someone throws fireworks at the both of you then.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here?
    You only live once...
    we cause trouble and meyhem and throw fireworks at police and set up roadblocks ect
    Shogun
    im not a wanker,u dont understand so fuck off.

Shogun, didn't you start this thread complaining about being arrested for possessing Fireworks?

So, let's see if we can work out why that might have been, shall we? I think youonlyliveonce seems to have given a clue.

Couple of morons...
  • Options
    thanks for that man of kent..halloween is really different here-not like in england.
  • Options
    thanks for that man of kent..halloween is really different here-not like in england.

I dunno why you are thanking me, unless you don't have the wit to work out that I was pointing out what an arse you are.

If you think hallowe'en is about throwing fireworks generally, but especially at the police then you cannot complain if you are arrested.

That you fail to accept the dangers in what you are doing just confirms what I suspect.

I understand that you may not celebrate November 5th over there (although as it is related to the attempted attack on Parliament, I dunno why), but perhaps you can emplain the link between fireworks and hallowe'en...
  • Options
    I was being sarcastic.Why would i worry about an attack on parliment that happened when i wasnt even alive.:confused:
    I wasnt arrested anyway-the police just took my name along with loads of other names in a small book.
    You dont understand halloween over here so you cant say dont be throwing fireworks and all that shit cuz EVERYONE does it.
  • Options
    Hmm, interesting... EVERYONE? every last man woman and child? verrry interesting...

Dont seem to remember myself or anyone else I grew up with ever throwing fireworks during Halloween, nor does anyone I know do it currently, certainly not at police officers at any rate.

Wonder if its a local phenomenon from where youre at. :confused:
  • Options
    another reply

just because you are a boring bunch of wining cunts.