Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

smoking and kissing?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by my_name

1) even though i occasionally smoke, i don't think it looks cool at all, and neither do anybody i know.
    3) smoking does not get you into a group. there are tons of 'groups' and each has their own smokers and their non-smokers
    4) it is a stimulant, so the exact opposite. i know from experience and my friends are the same way, after i have a cigerette, i feel jittery and can't sit still
    6) and people that dont' smoke get short breaks too
    7) not really, there are more 'pansy' looking smokers than there are 'rough' looking smokers
    8) do you think?

Ok then, so you don't think any of those reasons are valid. Why do people do it then?

The only real reason I can see is that people think its cool.

Lots of people smoke, therfore lots of people must think its cool, or not have a problem with it. Out of non smokers, theres not that many who really would be turned off enough not to be attracted to you.

So overall its in your inmterests (of attractiveness) to do it.

Unless theres some other reason?
  • Options
    i have never known anybody who acutally started because they thought it looked cool.

i started because i had long breaks of class and i got bored and it was something to do.
    some friends have also started because it gives them something to do during down times.
    others have started because it was there. they were somewhere and cigerettes were there for their taking and they had some.
    and most, of the rest have started smoking out of curiosity.

anyway, sorry Devil, to get off topic, i dont' really mind kissing a smoker, either because i have been smoking and i cna't really tell, or if i havn't then i just make them eat gum;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by carlito

1) Because it looks cool, if done right
    2) Advertising/consumerism/capitalism in general
    3) To fit into a peer group
    4) Makes you relaxed
    5) Something to do
    6) You get fag breaks at work
    7) Gives you a "dangerous" or "rough" look
    8) Filmstars do it, and they're mainly cool or brave etc, so if you do it people associate you with them

If people are depressed they sometimes start as well, i know a few people who have done that. Can't think why the fuck that would help tho but anywho.

Actually i have to agree with you Carlito, i would have thought those are the main reasons most people start smoking. Actually mainly 1) and 3). I remember trying a cigarette in the park when i was about 13 with my mates and it tasted completley disgusting. I have never tried sinse. I do remember two of my mates (well back then anyway, not friends anymore) discussing which method of holding it looked coolest and thinking to myself, you losers!

I'll admit that i tried it that one time because i had seen older kids doing it and thought they looked cool. That is the last time i have ever given into peer pressure after spitting for about 10 mins after a quick puff on that little white deathstick i descided if you fuckers don't think i'm cool i don't give a shit.

For the people who smoke can any of you tell me you honestly liked it the first time you tried? And did you spark up to try and fit in?

Just for the record i don't have a problem with smokers, i recognise the fact that they are bitch to give up and a lot of my friends do smoke. But i do think that the majority of people who start do it to look cool.

Oh and as someone else pointed out it fucks me off no end when one any of my friends who aren't smokers have one when we're in a bar or club. I always look round for the girl their trying to impress before chucking the thing on the floor and stamping it out. :)
  • Options
    ive only ever kissed one smoker and it was pretty horrible tasting the smoke on his tongue :yuck: i mean when i kiss a guy and hes been drinking and i can taste the beer on his tongue thats strangely attractive..:confused: but not smoke!
  • Options
    i never really noticed but i suppose that was because i was smokin aswell even tho never thot it made a difference, altho i was expectin a difference.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sassperilla
    I went out with a smoker for 4 years. At the time it didn't bother me too much, but I've since been out with a non-smoker for 2 years and I don't think I could be with a smoker again.

It's not just the kissing thing, though that is a major factor, but just the fact that the smoking seemed to interrupt everything we did - always having to find somewhere to buy fags, go outside while he had a fag, sit and wait while he puffed away. It's a minging, selfish habit.

Unfortunately it seems virtually everyone smokes these days.

I agree withyou totally there. I've never been out with a smoker, but the times I've pulled guys who smoke and things it's just interuptted everything, along with the smell on their breath.:p
  • Options

4) Makes you relaxed
    5) Something to do
    8) Filmstars do it, and they're mainly cool or brave etc, so if you do it people associate you with them

(pauses for a moment)............................................................................................................................BWAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA AH AHAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HAAH H A HAH HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not even gonna comment on those reasons.
  • Options

4) Makes you relaxed
    5) Something to do

OK, I can't resist not commenting.

1) The only people that think that smoking looks cool are obviously quite backwards.
    2) Advertising.......like you really need to give a fuck
    3) To fit in with peer groups........yeah, like anyone would really want to fit in with the 'retard' group.
    4) Makes you relaxed.....scientifically proven to be incorrect.
    5) Something to do.....there are millions of things in life that you can, quote, 'do'. Why do you have to choose the expensive, unhealthy, unsocial, smelly option?
    6) No you don't get 'fag breaks', you get 'breaks'. It just that weirdos like you choose to smoke in these 'breaks'.
    7) Gives you a "dangerous" or "rough" look.....oooooohhhh shit, I wouldn't want to mess with someone smoking a cigarette.
    8) Filmstars do it....trust me, most of the 'cool and brave' filmstars do not smoke. You name me one that does, and I'll name you ten that don't. Its mostly the bad guys.
  • Options
    umm Carlito, as far as i can remember and i may be wrong, was against smoking so i'm not quite sure what your point is crescendo?

You don't think peer pressure is a factor to why people smoke? Bullshit, of course it is. Granted it might not be the reason all smokers started but certainly for most of the people who start at an early age this was a big factor.

Most people just don't want to admit giving into peer pressure or to wanting to look cool. At 13 to 16 is when your most vulnerable to peer pressure. Every one wants to fit in with a crowd and everyone wants to be cool. What they think of as cool is different depending on which crowd they want to be a part of. crescendo, can you honestly tell me you were never tempted to do something because of peer pressure? If so then your a better man than me and pretty much everyone i know but i really doubt thats the case. Unfortunatley we live in a society where peer pressure and image is a very important part of life
  • Options
    When I was in school, I used to be in the 'badboy' gang. i.e. the gang that wasn't goody goody. Almost everyone in my gang smoked at some point, and some still do. I was the only one who didn't smoke. At one point, one of my friends asked me to put an unlit cigarette in my mouth just to see what I'll look like with a cigarette in my mouth. I put it in, and then gave it back. Smoking has NEVER appealed to me at all. I have seen peer pressure in action. In the early school days, someone was telling my mate to smoke, and my mate said no. The other guy then said 'don't be a pussy' etc etc. My mate still said no many times. He even said 'OK, I'm a pussy, are you happy now?' Eventually, my mate took a few puffs, and now he is a proper smoker. He's tried to give up many times, but failed.
    I've been quite lucky actually. I have been very wise all my life, even at a young vunerable age. I'm not a goody goody person. I grew up with ghetto friends in a ghetto area (if u know what I mean by ghetto). Now, all of my friends who are addicted to smoking respect me for NEVER smoking.
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo
    When I was in school, I used to be in the 'badboy' gang. i.e. the gang that wasn't goody goody.

I'm not a goody goody person. I grew up with ghetto friends in a ghetto area (if u know what I mean by ghetto). Now, all of my friends who are addicted to smoking respect me for NEVER smoking.

Oh yeah i bet your straight out of compton.

I didn't ask you for your life story i just pointed out that peer pressure is a factor to people who start smoking

"To fit in with peer groups........yeah, like anyone would really want to fit in with the 'retard' group."

This sort of implied you didn't think peer pressure was a factor but you just said that a load of your mates started because of it.

I don't give a shit if your snoop doggy dogg i was just saying that peer pressure is a real reason.

oh and by the way i don't smoke although when i was that age most of my mates did and i'm not a 'goody goody' person either.

EDIT: fuck me i really should stop arguing and just stay quiet, just seems to get me in trouble :)
  • Options
    I just think that people who give into smoking are just weak minded. I hung around with people who smoke all the time when I was younger, and I've never smoked. I didn't have to smoke to fit in with a gang. I don't want to smoke, full stop. No gang or peer pressure can force me to smoke. As if someone would forcefully force you to smoke their cigarettes that they paid for. My mates were weak minded, and guess what.....they're regretting every minute of it now. People who start smoking do it because they are trying to act hard. Simple. What other reason is there? They aren't addicted, and I know that no one likes the taste of cigarettes when they first smoke, but they continue to do it to act hard. I know that everyone who smokes went through this phase, and I think very lowly of them. Say what you want to me, but I wish every smoker would just fuck off to an island where the air is made of burnt tobacco instead of oxygen.
  • Options
    now now now people, this is a thread about kissing a smoker, lets not turn it into a thread about why or why not a person should smoke, no arguing!!!

holy shit, did i just say that??
  • Options
    er... yes but if you edited it really quickly no one but me or you would ever no

... and i promise to behave from now on :)
  • Options
    now now now people, this is a thread about kissing a smoker, lets not turn it into a thread about why or why not a person should smoke, no arguing!!!

Oh sorry, I drifted away from the initial discussion. In case you haven't noticed, I wouldn't even be friends with a girl that smokes let alone kiss her on her mingin mouth, no matter how fit she is, and I seriously mean that.
  • Options
    I remember having a cigarette before meeting up with the guy I was seeing, and him kissing me and totally freaking about it. So it's obviously minging. But I found out a few weeks later he'd started smoking... so I guess it didn't stop him.
  • Options
    I just think that people who give into smoking are just weak minded. I hung around with people who smoke all the time when I was younger, and I've never smoked. I didn't have to smoke to fit in with a gang. I don't want to smoke, full stop. No gang or peer pressure can force me to smoke. As if someone would forcefully force you to smoke their cigarettes that they paid for. My mates were weak minded, and guess what.....they're regretting every minute of it now. People who start smoking do it because they are trying to act hard. Simple. What other reason is there? They aren't addicted, and I know that no one likes the taste of cigarettes when they first smoke, but they continue to do it to act hard. I know that everyone who smokes went through this phase, and I think very lowly of them. Say what you want to me, but I wish every smoker would just fuck off to an island where the air is made of burnt tobacco instead of oxygen.

Ok...

Well, to clear the question up, I'm neither pro nor anti smoking as such. I'm anti smoking in terms of around other people in public places other than bars etc, but I think its pretty much everyones choice whether they want to or not. The fact that smokers contribute more in tax than is taken from the NHS in smoking related diseases (which includes heart cancer and incidences of lung/throat cancer etc that are not even caused by smoking) means that technically its good for us non smokers that people smoke- it means we have to contribute less to tax for health, and if it was between us and them the doctor usually decides in favour of the non smoker to give treatment to.

Yeah, I've smoked. Still do sometimes. The reason?

Did I "give in" to smoking? As much as I hate the phrase "go with the flow" it has to be said in some cases. Crescendo you say I'm weak willed. Fair enough, thats your opinion, but you don't knwo me. As much as I hate having to defend myself, because it makes people sound arrogant, on the net you have to. I am NOT weak willed. I've made a lot of sacrifices both for my beliefs and other things.

When I smoke its because I make a calculated decision. People OBVIOUSLY DO think it looks cool- lots of them. If you're honest you'll admit it. Obviously its stupid to do something that will kill you just because it makes you look cool.
    But sometimes you do need to calculate stuff.

Crescendo, do you buy "cool" clothes? Do you buy clothes that are the cheapest or most practical that you can possibly find? I very much doubt it. So you aren't making a rational decision there. Do you exercise as much as the government reccommends? I doubt that too.

You have contempt for people who smoke, thats clear. Whether thats because you've been brain wahsed when you were a kid, which seems likely since you say thats when you rejected the idea, and no one is rational when they are a kid, or you've been personally affected or something, fair enough.

But beware that people might hold contempt for you as well. Drink? Do drugs? Not exercise? Buy fashionable clothes?
  • Options

was going to say the same thing!

shut up guys!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*

was going to say the same thing!

shut up guys!

Jeeeez can everyone just lighten up!!!

If you want to smoke you should be perfectly entitled to and if you don't then DON'T and stay as far away from smelly smokers as you possibly can :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I don't mind kissing a smoker but if I'm in a relationship with them I can't stand it.
    My boyfriend used to smoke socially but he barely does anymore as he knows I hate it. Plus I've had chest problems in the past such as pneumonia and have ended up in hospital after a fire because of the smoke, so whenever people smoke around me I get these annoying chest pains. No-one ever takes any notice of that though, as I don't want to make a big deal of it! I'm a bit offended when my boyfriend smokes in front of me, cos he knows how much I hate it. He just does it when his friends offer him a cigarette, I don't understand why he can't just say no though.
    I never stop my friends from smoking though, it's not for me to tell them what to do, although I'll help them if they want to stop.

Do you think it's harsh to stop your boyfriend/girlfriend from smoking? I think if they are a true smoker, and have been for a while, then it is unfair to make them stop. But for people like my boyfriend who only have a cigarette at the pub or something, I think he should stop doing it if I hate it so much. He thinks its unfair though, even though he admits that he in no way needs to smoke.
  • Options
    Re: smoking and kissing?
    What do you guys think about kissing someone who smokes?

:yuck: I couldn't have a long term relationship with someone who smoked. I know that sounds silly but I couldn't stand it. Not only does their breath smell and taste minging, but they smell, their clothes smell, their houses and cars smell, and after spending a bit of time with them your own clothes and hair stink of cigarettes too. It's gross. :yuck:

Besides all that I have asthma aswell so it'd be even worse if my boyf smoked. Luckilly he doesn't smoke! hehe
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sweetpea

Jeeeez can everyone just lighten up!!!

If you want to smoke you should be perfectly entitled to and if you don't then DON'T and stay as far away from smelly smokers as you possibly can :rolleyes:

The question was 'what do you personally think of kissing a smoker?' i was not sayingf everyone should quit, go back and read the opinions there is no need for your ignorance TWAT!!!!

Typical newbie though arent you :rolleyes:
  • Options

Ok...

When I smoke its because I make a calculated decision. People OBVIOUSLY DO think it looks cool- lots of them. If you're honest you'll admit it. Obviously its stupid to do something that will kill you just because it makes you look cool.
    But sometimes you do need to calculate stuff.

Crescendo, do you buy "cool" clothes? Do you buy clothes that are the cheapest or most practical that you can possibly find? I very much doubt it. So you aren't making a rational decision there. Do you exercise as much as the government reccommends? I doubt that too.

But beware that people might hold contempt for you as well. Drink? Do drugs? Not exercise? Buy fashionable clothes?
    The only meaningful point that you made in your very long reply was that smokers contribute more tax that is spent on treating diseases (which I still need proof for, but I'll believe you anyway). Apart from that, your reply didn't hold much water.
    Do I buy 'cool' clothes? I buy clothes that 'suit' me, yes. If it suits me and its too expensive, then I don't buy it. I didn't quite get what you meant by the whole 'clothes' subject, but feel free to explain.
    You say that 'a lot' of people OBVIOUSLY DO think that smoking looks cool. We can't assume this. My feeling is that the people that think that smoking is cool are either smokers themselves, or children that are experimenting. Anyway, I can assure you that if a survey was conducted entitled "Do you think smoking looks cool?", the vast majority of the public will say NO.
    Do I drink? Yes, water mainly. Do drugs? No. Do I exercise as much as the government recommends? I exercise much more than the government recommends. Buy fashionable clothes? Yes, if it suits me. Hardly causing any harm is it? (apart from harming my bank balance).
    If a person isn't exercising as much as the government recommends, then they're NOT doing something to IMPROVE their health. If a person smokes, then they ARE doing something to DAMAGE their health.
    Don't you get it....you ARE DOING something, i.e. making the effort..........to..........(wait for it).........not improve.......but DAMAGE your health! Need I go on.
    I know your thinking that drinking and taking drugs may also be considered the same, but drinking and smoking have immediate effects (i.e. getting you high or getting pissed) which smoking doesn't have.
    Also, aren't you forgetting that you're not the only person whose smoking. We non smokers are also breathing in your stinking smoke. therefore, this affects our health, hence causing more diseases, and increasing waiting lists on the NHS. I guess the only meaningful point you made about taxes didn't hold much water as well. Everytime I'm in a bar, restaurant, or waiting in a bus stop, nothing more pisses me off than someone next to me smoking, putting tobacco in my lungs without my permission (I've gotta breathe ain't I), and stinking my nice new shirt that I've just worn. Smokers are selfish retards, and I'll say it again.......I wish all smokers would fuck off to an island where the air is made of tobacco smoke instead of oxygen!
  • Options
    Heres a good quote I found:
    Anyone with half a brain and any conscience, must see that one group's addiction should not be allowed to kill another group of innocent people. And if they don't see it that way - they should be forced to see it that way!
  • Options

The only meaningful point that you made in your very long reply was that smokers contribute more tax that is spent on treating diseases (which I still need proof for, but I'll believe you anyway).

http://www.forest-on-smoking.org.uk/FreeChoice/fc_mj98p7.htm

"In 1997 the government raised £10.25 billion in tobacco taxes, which equates to about 1/3 of the NHS budget. The basic rate of income tax would have to be increased by 8p in the pound to compensate the government if it lost the amount raised in tobacco taxes. Tobacco products are the highest taxed consumer product in the UK. Around 80% of the price of a packet of 20 cigarettes is tax. Some low price brands have a tax element of 92%."

"Anti-smokers used to claim smokers cost £610m per annum. A figure of £325m was placed on the alleged cost of smokers to NHS Hospitals in the HEA’s 1995/96 Business Prospectus. Now anti-smokers claim that the ‘burden’ of smokers is between £1.4bn and £1.7bn. Even if this figure was correct - and there are doubts as to its accuracy - it is still dwarfed by the amount taken in tobacco taxation alone. Smokers also pay for state services through income tax and NI contributions."

Do I buy 'cool' clothes? I buy clothes that 'suit' me, yes. If it suits me and its too expensive, then I don't buy it. I didn't quite get what you meant by the whole 'clothes' subject, but feel free to explain.

I mean, you say why do something that has an adverse effect just because its "cool" or makes you looks good. Buying clothes that are expensive, or more expensive than others you could buy, is has an adverse effect on you, you have less money.
    You say that 'a lot' of people OBVIOUSLY DO think that smoking looks cool. We can't assume this. My feeling is that the people that think that smoking is cool are either smokers themselves, or children that are experimenting. Anyway, I can assure you that if a survey was conducted entitled "Do you think smoking looks cool?", the vast majority of the public will say NO.

I "assumes" that...sort of. Obviously some people, like yourself, are so anti-smoking its obvious it would cast you in bad light if you smoked.

But Smoking is identified with rebellion (something women like in a man), coolness, fashionable people like models, filmstars etc. In fact, I'd go so far as to say even people who claim to be anti smoking have some subconcious regard for smokers.
    -"the vast majority of the public will say NO" just as the vast majority would say "NO" if asked if the were bad in bed. Bet the majority are though. And most of it is subconcious as well- and I've read pschocological studies that affirm this stuff.
    I know your thinking that drinking and taking drugs may also be considered the same, but drinking and smoking have immediate effects (i.e. getting you high or getting pissed) which smoking doesn't have.

So??? What relevance has that to you?

If people started killing themselves by jumping off buildings, and some did it my wanking themsleves to death, would you ban jumping from buildings because you don't think thats fun?
    We non smokers are also breathing in your stinking smoke. therefore, this affects our health, hence causing more diseases, and increasing waiting lists on the NHS. I guess the only meaningful point you made about taxes didn't hold much water as well.

Not true, the statistic includes all smoking related diseases, including people who have never smoked a cigarrette in their life.
    Smokers are selfish retards, and I'll say it again.......I wish all smokers would fuck off to an island where the air is made of tobacco smoke instead of oxygen!

Notwithstanding the offensiveness to the disabled, you're entitled to you're opinion.

Pity you might miss out on the chance of sex with Kate Moss or a myriad of others because they smoke :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by sexy_manchester_babe
    yes, my bf smokes!! its soo disgusting! :yuck: He doesnt smoke around me now because he knows i h8 the taste when i kiss him, ergh ergh ergh!!

The bloke iw as seeing always had minty breath!!! Very nice and much recommended to those nasty smokers!
  • Options

The question was 'what do you personally think of kissing a smoker?' i was not sayingf everyone should quit, go back and read the opinions there is no need for your ignorance TWAT!!!!

I suppose you were never a newbie... oh nooooo..:rolleyes:
  • Options

Shame on you for having the gall to even breath you evil boyfriend stealer.

I'm disgusted!