Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

smoking and kissing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you guys think about kissing someone who smokes?

My new boyfriend is a heavy smoker his tongue is minging and his breath stinks. I really do not like it and he is always doing it! :yuck:
he has asked whether I dislike it but I feel terrible after knowing him two days that I do not like it when he has been doing it a while the only thing I would like is if he did it when I wasn’t around.

Is it me being fussy or does anyone agree that its not pleasant?

Comments

• Options
    yes, my bf smokes!! its soo disgusting! :yuck: He doesnt smoke around me now because he knows i h8 the taste when i kiss him, ergh ergh ergh!!
  • Options
    I went out with a smoker for 4 years. At the time it didn't bother me too much, but I've since been out with a non-smoker for 2 years and I don't think I could be with a smoker again.

It's not just the kissing thing, though that is a major factor, but just the fact that the smoking seemed to interrupt everything we did - always having to find somewhere to buy fags, go outside while he had a fag, sit and wait while he puffed away. It's a minging, selfish habit.

Unfortunately it seems virtually everyone smokes these days.
  • Options
    Personally because I don't & never have smoked (except trying it once or twice) I can't stand kissing guys who smoke. It really puts me off a guy if he smokes. Luckily most of the guys i've been out with haven't smoked so I haven't really had a problem with it.
  • Options
    my ex didnt but this one does and i hate it! yuck yuck yuck! :yuck:
  • Options
    My boyfriend and I are both smokers....so I dont bother!!!But I think there is a problem when the one is a smoker and the other isnt......
  • Options
    I smoke quite heavily infact and have always gone out with a smoker so I never notice to be honest.
  • Options
    I always used to think I could never go out with a smoker, imagined it would be minging etc, but now I'm with someone who smokes (sometimes quite heavily) I've found that it doesn't bother me - at least not in a putting me off him kinda way. Life's odd like that. Obviously, I wish he'd stop for his health's sake, but I don't push that one, as you can never force someone to give up. That's something he'll have to decide for himself. Hopefully one day he'll see sense, but he's been smoking for about 10 years now (since he was 13).
  • Options
    I made my ex give up smoking for me. Not deliberately mind, but he did it to make me happy. Naturally he's started again now that we're no longer together :lol:
  • Options
    can't stand it, couldn't go out with a girl who smokes. Thing is its not just that taste, the smell gets into all your clothes.

plus to be honest i find it really unattractive anyways.
  • Options
    My boyfriend smokes and I hate it. Since Monday though I've been getting him to cut down and so far he's been quite good. We live together and we've spent a whole load of money making our flat nice and his smoking just makes the place stink. As for the taste thing, at the beginning I used to hate it but I think I must be used to it now :yuck:
  • Options
    I used to smoke, gave up about 7 months ago :D & i really don't know how my b/f put up with it.
    I can't stand the smell etc now, whenever someone smokes around me it stinks, and to think i used to smell like that!:yuck:

But they say that people who have given up are the worst.:yes:
  • Options
    I'm going out with a smoker now and I have to say it really doesn't bother me. Whenever I'm around people that smoke it just sorta reminds me of him. I don't even notice when he kisses me after he's been smoking now either.
  • Options
    My boyfriend smokes, and to be honest it doesn't really bother me. It was a bit disgusting at first, but he always used to make sure he brushed his teeth, chewed gum or whatever before he kissed me. But after a while I just got used to it. I mean, it makes my clothes smell, and my mum complains about it, but I don't mind. I can't really complain at him either, cos I am partial to a couple of fags myself if I'm drinking
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jon_UK
    can't stand it, couldn't go out with a girl who smokes. Thing is its not just that taste, the smell gets into all your clothes.

plus to be honest i find it really unattractive anyways.

Couldn't agree with you more! On all of it, I always vowed to myself I would never go out with a smoker and up till now I have!

But my new gf does!:o

Not looking forward to that smokers smell!:o
  • Options
    I've never had any complaints. Used to smoke, but I've cut down and now I'm a social smoker. I'm on my way to quitting, but I'm the type who always needs something in her hand, or something to fiddle with, and if I have a cig, I'm happy.

Anyways, it's a disgusting habit, but because I'm a smoker myself I don't really notice when I make out with those who smoke too. Usually in a drunken state anyways, so it's not like we'd care all that much. I don't have a boyfriend so I can't compare frequent sessions to those random drunken ones. Bah.

Personally, I don't give a toss. And if they do, then they can bloody well bugger off.
  • Options
    I used to smoke but since going out with WhoWhere, i've cut down cause he really hates it so I only smoke when i'm out clubbing and I couldn't give that up even if i wanted to.....and i have tried. But WhoWhere is great and is v. supportive.

MissM
  • Options
    My husband and I are also smokers but there was a time when I didn't smoke and I really never noticed much of a difference with non-smoking boyfriends. I think if one practices good, normal hygiene, like brushing their teeth and tongue twice a day, then the problem shouldn't exist. It's when you get a build up of food and smoke flavours together in an unbrushed mouth that it gets pretty gross.

But then again, some people really are very sensitive to the smell and taste of smoke so even if their partner does practice good hygiene the smoke taste will still annoy.
  • Options
    I've never been out with a smoker but a good friend of mine smokes fairly regularly. He gave up for his girlfriend, but then he got dumped and started again.

It doesn't bother me with him, seeing as I don't have to kiss him (lol) and he doesn't smell like an ashtray anyway. But i'd have to say I'd probably find it unattractive to kiss a smoker. Then again, I won't know until I try.
  • Options
    I dont really mind it that much. The lad im going with at the moment smokes but he never really does it much when with me.
    His last girlfriend made him quit, but he started up again before they broke up which she wasnt very happy about.
    Id probably rather he didnt smoke but if thats what he wants to do then i cant really stop him. I just tease him when he starts fiddling with things in a "smoking" kind of way. He knows i dont mean it nastily but gets my point across nicely!
  • Options
    i've never snoged a smoker but i hate it when my friends smoke so it would be impossible for me to go out with a smoker!!!:yuck:
  • Options
    If i were you i would tell him so he doesn't do it around you and maybe get him to chew gum or mints or something to get rid of the taste.
  • Options
    I quite like the taste of cigarettes when I kiss someone. I'm only a social smoker but I used to go out with someone who smoked a fair bit. Every time I have a drag on a B&H it reminds me of kissing her.
  • Options
    Personally, I think that smokers look extremely retarded. I have never ever smoked in my life, and I would never go out with a girl that smokes, no matter how fit she is. I'm sure that I can find a girl as fit as her who doesn't smoke. I wouldn't even be friends with a girl that smokes. I'm not friends with any girls that smoke, and if I do meet a girl that smokes, no matter how nice or attractive she is, I would try not to get too close/friendly with her. Seriously I mean that.
    As for guys that smoke, lets just say that everytime I see a guy with a cigarette, I just think 'what a wanker'. Especially the young ones. None of my mates smoke (some of them used to). One day, in a club, one of my mates lit a cigarette just to 'socially' smoke. I grabbed it out of his hand, and scraped it on the wall (nicely of course, not forcefully). I said 'what the fuck you doin'? He thanked me later for doing that because he knew that he could easily get addicted to cigarettes again.
    Why the fuck do people smoke? It doesn't even get you high. I understand why people drink, take ecstacy, heroin etc, but smoke? (Oh, and did I mention pay for it as well).
    "I've tried quitting". "I'll quit soon". "It takes time to quit". etc etc are all common lines used by stinking, I repeat, stinking smokers (You can't deny the fact that if you do smoke, you clearly do stink). Stop the bleeding heart shit and quit for gods sakes.
  • Options
    I'm sure if people could quit just like that then they would. It is alright for someone in your position to say go ahead and quit, but nicotine is addictive and it takes some smokers years to properly quit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Deeeeb
    I'm sure if people could quit just like that then they would. It is alright for someone in your position to say go ahead and quit, but nicotine is addictive and it takes some smokers years to properly quit.

Exaaactly!

I started at the age of 12 and gradually went from say 5 a week to 5 a day then too 20-30 a day. I gave up for a year when i was 13/14 but as my ex and best friend(s) both smoke 30 a day, i found it hard to give up. I can go a few days without smoking but after that it gets very hard and i end up doing it again.

Anyway back to the original question i only have a problem with it if i havent smoked for a few days, other than that i cant actually taste it.
  • Options
    I detest smokers and hate kissing anyone who has smokey breth. My gf started smoking again recently but only when we go out. I dont kiss her for at least a half an hour and a drink later afterwards-may sound a bit extreme but its working!
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo
    Personally, I think that smokers look extremely retarded. I have never ever smoked in my life, and I would never go out with a girl that smokes, no matter how fit she is. I'm sure that I can find a girl as fit as her who doesn't smoke. I wouldn't even be friends with a girl that smokes. I'm not friends with any girls that smoke, and if I do meet a girl that smokes, no matter how nice or attractive she is, I would try not to get too close/friendly with her. Seriously I mean that.
    As for guys that smoke, lets just say that everytime I see a guy with a cigarette, I just think 'what a wanker'. Especially the young ones. None of my mates smoke (some of them used to). One day, in a club, one of my mates lit a cigarette just to 'socially' smoke. I grabbed it out of his hand, and scraped it on the wall (nicely of course, not forcefully). I said 'what the fuck you doin'? He thanked me later for doing that because he knew that he could easily get addicted to cigarettes again.
    Why the fuck do people smoke? It doesn't even get you high. I understand why people drink, take ecstacy, heroin etc, but smoke? (Oh, and did I mention pay for it as well).
    "I've tried quitting". "I'll quit soon". "It takes time to quit". etc etc are all common lines used by stinking, I repeat, stinking smokers (You can't deny the fact that if you do smoke, you clearly do stink). Stop the bleeding heart shit and quit for gods sakes.

1) Because it looks cool, if done right
    2) Advertising/consumerism/capitalism in general
    3) To fit into a peer group
    4) Makes you relaxed
    5) Something to do
    6) You get fag breaks at work
    7) Gives you a "dangerous" or "rough" look
    8) Filmstars do it, and they're mainly cool or brave etc, so if you do it people associate you with them
  • Options
    Originally posted by carlito

1) Because it looks cool, if done right
    2) Advertising/consumerism/capitalism in general
    3) To fit into a peer group
    4) Makes you relaxed
    5) Something to do
    6) You get fag breaks at work
    7) Gives you a "dangerous" or "rough" look
    8) Filmstars do it, and they're mainly cool or brave etc, so if you do it people associate you with them

1) even though i occasionally smoke, i don't think it looks cool at all, and neither do anybody i know.
    3) smoking does not get you into a group. there are tons of 'groups' and each has their own smokers and their non-smokers
    4) it is a stimulant, so the exact opposite. i know from experience and my friends are the same way, after i have a cigerette, i feel jittery and can't sit still
    6) and people that dont' smoke get short breaks too
    7) not really, there are more 'pansy' looking smokers than there are 'rough' looking smokers
    8) do you think?
  • Options
    Originally posted by crescendo

Fucking hell if she was a lesbian as well, she'd really stand no chance at all.:)
  • Options
    My Dad used to smoke. Mum made him give up by setting fire to a £20 every week until he stopped.

It took him a few weeks.