Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If 'Dubya' wishes to eradicate the world of terrorism....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by sopite

Where should we set up the fire base? Londonderry? or London?

Problem is... we would have to bring along our own recreation. Not as much a fun place as that other place we partied... ;)
    Reverse ~

Truthfully? I used the phrase, in heavy sarcasm, concerning the "request" for US forces to deploy to UK and take care of their housekeeping.

Could you honestly conceive of R & R in the UK? :yuck: I mean... No real football, no NASCAR, no cold beer, no... fun. :yuck: Boring, boring, boring...
  • Options
    Originally posted by reverse
    Unca joe,
    The man responsible for my lai went to jail..
    Yes, for all of 4 years...

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mylai/Myl_intro.html

"II.

The cover-up of the My Lai massacre began almost as soon as the killing ended. Official army reports of the operation proclaimed a great victory: 128 enemy dead, only one American casualty (one soldier intentionally shot himself in the foot). The army knew better. Hugh Thompson had filed a complaint, alleging numerous war crimes involving murders of civilians. According to one of Thompson's crew members, "Thompson was so pissed he wanted to turn in his wings". An order issued by Major Calhoun to Captain Medina to return to My Lai to do a body count was countermanded by Major General Samuel Koster, who asked Medina how many civilians has been killed. "Twenty to twenty-eight," was his answer. The next day Colonel Henderson informed Medina that an informal investigation of the My Lai incident was underway-- and most likely gave the Captain "a good ass-chewing" as well. Henderson interviewed a number of GIs, then pronounced himself "satisfied" by their answers. No attempt was made to interview surviving Vietnamese. In late April, Henderson submitted a written report indicating that about twenty civilians had been inadvertently killed in My Lai. Meanwhile, Michael Bernhart, a Charlie Company GI severely troubled by what he witnessed at My Lai discussed with other GIs his plan to write a letter about the incident to his congressman. Medina, after learning of Bernhart's intentions, confronted him and told him how unwise such an action, in his opinion, would be."

For details of the sentences imposed on those found guilty of the My Lai massacre (hey, why am I using the plural?), click on the link. I chose to quote the above becasue it illustrates the fact that justice for the My Lai villagers was not so swift as has been previously suggested on these boards.

And i guess it must irk ex-Vets whenever My Lai is thrown in their faces (although in this instance it was a passing reference which could have been ignored), certainly a helluva lot more than it annoys me when they keep making sly references to the 'parties' they used to enjoy in the Glory Days. Perhaps we can make a deal...
  • Options
    Originally posted by sopite
    As clearly as can be stated:

Your claim that wearing ears taken from Vietnamese was commonplace in Vietnam is an URBAN MYTH, joyfully repeated by those who wish it were so.
    What I actually said was that "in Ireland the favoured neck adornments are Rosary beads, not human ears". You read a lot into that, it seems, perhaps due to the nature of the 'parties' you used to attend...

I personally know of no pictures, I was mainly making the point that if someone who claims to have served in 'Nam (and I have as much reason to accept his credentials as I have yours) says there are pictures the requirements for an urban myth are not met. Perhaps someone reading this could help us out with those alleged pics...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Well, that page doesn't have an agenda, does it?
    I don't know, show me a Veteran without an agenda... :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by reverse
    uncle joe,
    Did you ever try thinking about that statement?
    Like I said, I was just funnin' about the ears ;)

And sopite called me a parasite (but don't worry, I didn't take it to heart :) )
  • Options
    btw, do Green Berets really have to learn latin? :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    btw, do Green Berets really have to learn latin? :eek:

No, a green beret is a head covering made of green felt. They generally can't learn languages. Special Forces soldiers are required to be multi-lingual. To that end, they must receive a score above a set standard on the Defense Language Aptitude Battery and must pass a set standard in a second language measured under the State Department's language rankings (which happen to be the one's the EU's language rankings are based on).

Khao jai mai?

Verstehen Sie?