Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should women take the man's surname when married?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This argument has recently come to light after Cheryl Cole decided to take her new husband's name after they married. Sorry for linking to the Mirror, I feel ashamed too.

Is this feminism going too far?

Surely the choice of changing your surname post-marriage is something which should be personal to the individual, without fear of judgement or criticism? When you're forcing expectations on someone based on their gender and telling them what the "right" thing to do is, whether that's to take a surname or to keep one, is that then becoming sexism?

:chin:

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I think it should be 100% personal choice. Whether that be to take your parnter's name, if they want to take yours, or if you just wanna keep your surnames (I don't know if that happens, but on principle). I just think its wrong to railroad anyone in to taking a name without any real choice, a name represents a lot. The only "right" thing to do is whatever feels right to you, not whatever's right by law or societal opinion.
  • Options
    Yes I agree, it should be down to personal choice. Especially now that gay and lesbian couples can get married (which I think is great) because they would have to decide who's surname to take so why can't a heterosexual couple choose who's surname to take? I think it's great to keep up traditions but not when it will make people unhappy

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I think women thinking that they have to is ridiculous but at the same time women having a go at other women for choosing to make the decision is anti-feminist in it's self! Feminism is about giving women the right to choose how they live their lives not giving them more dogma to live by!

Personally, when I marry MrRiot I'll double-barrel my name and I'd like our kids to have double-barrelled names too. I know it might sound a little pompous but after changing my name by deed poll when I was 18 my name is kind of precious to me!
  • Options
    I've never put a massive amount of thought into it, other than as a youth leader finding it really confusing matching up forms, parents and kids when the surnames don't match.

Double barrelled works fine for some names and really badly for others.

One of my friends has recently become Mrs Husbands name in day to day life but kept her maiden name professionally. If me and boy run the course then that's something I'd consider as I like the idea of sharing a surname through marriage, but working in the same, relatively small industry and currently for the same company I like the idea of keeping some of my own independent identity too.
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    I was just wondering about the emotional angle for kids - would your parent's and your own surname affect your identity? Can it be confusing if your parents have different surnames?

I have Spanish and Russian housemates:

In Spain it's traditional for a person to have a given name then two surnames- the mother's and the father's.

In Russia, you would usually get your father's surname and a middle name derived from his first name.
  • Options
    As a kid, my parents had the same surname so it was straight forward. When working with young kids and their parents - I find it far easier to match them up when the surnames match.
  • Options
    I think I'd like to take his name privately but keep my maiden name professionally. Especially if I ever do a PhD. I want to be Dr Ballerina, not Dr MrB'sName. I'll work hard for it so I'll want my name after it!
  • Options
    Danny! wrote: »
    I was just wondering about the emotional angle for kids - would your parent's and your own surname affect your identity? Can it be confusing if your parents have different surnames?

I have a different surname to my sisters, mother, nieces and nephews. I sometimes feel a bit isolated from them, being the only person in my family, along with my father, with my name (although it wouldn't make sense for me to have my mother's name, seeing as it's her ex-husband's.) As a child it was confusing for me to have a different name; I was convinced that it was because my mother loved me less than she loved my sisters. It also made things technically very difficult - when my father wasn't there, it caused a lot of problems given that me and mum had different names, especially when we were travelling.

I'd not take any future spouse's surname - I'd consider a double barrelled or a combined name, but my surname is MINE and I'm not throwing it to the wind to take on someone else's. I'd want my children to have my name (in addition to their father's, I suppose) because it creates a link between the two, and saves bureaucratic hassle.
  • Options
    Sorry you had a hard time with having a different name Grace :( Names can be really important.

I like the idea of children somehow having both parent's names, I think it's nice for the link to be recognised.

I was just looking up what happens after a few generations of double-barelling and found this guy:

"Admiral Sir Reginald Aylmer Ranfurley Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax"!
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I feel no less a woman knowing I'm gonna take my hubby's last name. This is why feminism does my head in sometimes. If you're that bothered about losing your last name, double barrel it and save the trouble and confusion for the kids if you're gonna have any. You don't lose anything by changing your last name.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Good reasons have been presented for (non-adult) children to have the same surname as their parents. So perhaps a married couple should have the same surname as each other.
    Whether that surname is the man's (if there is one), the woman's (if there is one) or a completely new one they make up on their own doesn't really matter, does it?
  • Options
    There are arguments for and against, but on a related note, it's hardly fair in the modern age that all men get to be 'Mister' on forms, without question, whereas women get asked if they are 'Mrs' or 'Miss' (or, if they're lucky, 'Ms', but they still have to make the active choice).
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Bit of a non issue really. Neither men row women have to take any name they don't want to. That's equality. Some women will prefer to go with tradition, others will not.

I know to guys in fact that took their wives names because they didn't particularly like theirs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Bit of a non issue really. Neither men row women have to take any name they don't want to. That's equality. Some women will prefer to go with tradition, others will not.

I know to guys in fact that took their wives names because they didn't particularly like theirs.

I like the idea of both partners taking whoever has the better name :)

Might the equality issue be a bit more clouded because, although no one has a legal obligation, there are social expectations? I imagine that a lot of women would struggle to persuade male partners to take their name ...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Danny! wrote: »
    Might the equality issue be a bit more clouded because, although no one has a legal obligation, there are social expectations?

It's the same with honorific titles - some would argue that because 'Miss' and 'Mrs' convey marital status where as men just get the honorific title of 'Mr', some women are treated unequally. Then I point out that women are under no obligation to use either, they could just use 'Ms'. I don't think there's much of a social obligation to use 'Mrs' but the majority of women still do.

There are social expectations for lots of things, that's part of culture and tradition and as such human nature. If this social expectation actually caused any harm then I might agree that something needed to be done.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    A lot of European countries have gotten away with using anything other than their equivalent of Ms as a title (unless it's occupational/hereditary title). I would rather be a Ms but no matter how many times I put it on forms of its not Mrs it gets ignored and reverted to Miss! MrRiot wouldn't take my last name for love nor money (not that I bribed him to do so...yet!)
  • Options
    I do have friends whose wives didn't take their husbands surname. Whether I'll take someones' surname depends on what it is.