Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sex After a Break up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so, as you might all remember, i was dumped pretty harshly by my last girlfriend who was going off with one of her lad mates who is now her new boyfriend.

So, all my mates, friends and even Ex's from before that i stayed friends with are all telling me the same thing... "Go Get Laid!"
They all say i wont start getting ove rmy ex unless i get laid and its the best way to start "healing" or whatever.

Is that right? Is a random shag with some girl really the best way to get over been dumped and heart broken?

Comments very welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Ok, so, as you might all remember, i was dumped pretty harshly by my last girlfriend who was going off with one of her lad mates who is now her new boyfriend.

So, all my mates, friends and even Ex's from before that i stayed friends with are all telling me the same thing... "Go Get Laid!"
    They all say i wont start getting ove rmy ex unless i get laid and its the best way to start "healing" or whatever.

Is that right? Is a random shag with some girl really the best way to get over been dumped and heart broken?

Comments very welcome.

I say do what feels right and take your own time to heal...don't just go & have a shag because that's how THEY'D deal with the situation!! Only do what you think's right for you. :yes:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Potentially, for all of five minutes ;) . It can be good for the ego, but I guess it depends how you feel about one night stands in general. If you wouldn't normally feel good after a one night stand then it's unlikely that you would in this situation, but if you find it to be a buzz, then you may well feel good afterwards. In the long run though, it's unlikley to be what will help you to really get over being heartbroken - unless of course you just see it as part of embracing your single life for a good few months. :)

Perhaps test the waters with flirting on a night out and see how it makes you feel.
  • Options
    I think, with me, it is Knowing that my Ex is already with some one else and i am not that bothers me, like i feel i should be with some one else because im the one who got hurt by being dumped, but moving on from her just isn't that easy.

Although, that 5 minutes of feeling better does sound appealing, though i reckon it would be more then 5 minutes, more like an hour ;)
  • Options
    I think, with me, it is Knowing that my Ex is already with some one else and i am not that bothers me, like i feel i should be with some one else because im the one who got hurt by being dumped, but moving on from her just isn't that easy.

Although, that 5 minutes of feeling better does sound appealing, though i reckon it would be more then 5 minutes, more like an hour ;)

I'm a firm believer if you want to do something that's right for you and feel is right for you, you just do it. No time spent on faffing about/what ifs and that, and given that you're a bit ambivalent to the idea where you might still be a bit raw from the break up it might be best to leave it until you do actually feel comfortable with it.
  • Options
    Its been absolutely ages for me since i broke up with my ex girlfriend but I havnt had sex with anyone else. It means i still can only associate sex with her which i find uncomfortable.
  • Options
    It works for some, not others. It could be that you don't know if it'll work until you try it...
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Its been absolutely ages for me since i broke up with my girlfriend but I havnt had sex with anyone else. It means i still can only associate sex with her which i find uncomfortable.

I'm exactly the same... probably doesn't help that I've not been out much since graduating and heading to another uni though.
  • Options
    i havent actually been out properly since i got dumped, just been going through the motions really, but yes, i still associate sex with my ex which is another issue.

Normally i really Love sex, but you know, it just feels... awkward? weird maybe is the right word.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Potentially, for all of five minutes ;) . It can be good for the ego, but I guess it depends how you feel about one night stands in general. If you wouldn't normally feel good after a one night stand then it's unlikely that you would in this situation, but if you find it to be a buzz, then you may well feel good afterwards. In the long run though, it's unlikley to be what will help you to really get over being heartbroken - unless of course you just see it as part of embracing your single life for a good few months. :)

Perhaps test the waters with flirting on a night out and see how it makes you feel.

Good advice.

Personally, I gave myself a while to get over my ex before I moved on to fooling around with guys again. If not, I would have been in an emotionally hung up state over my ex, and it wouldn't really help much. I just waited until I felt ready and the right situation arose ;)
  • Options

To be honest i think this would make me feel worse id like to get over somebody first before jumping in to bed with somebody else
  • Options
    Normally i really Love sex, but you know, it just feels... awkward? weird maybe is the right word.

even though you're not with anyone at the moment you may find yourself feeling guilty the first time you get it on with someone new, it's very odd...
  • Options
    casual sex doesnt work for me but a rebound relationship always has
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    casual sex doesnt work for me but a rebound relationship always has

:lol: Very awesome Vicky! :thumb: this is why i like you so much! :)
  • Options
    As helen said, sex can be good for your ego after a break up. But its not a cure for a broken heart. For me, a fling can help, along with time and concerntrating on other things, keeping myself busy.

good luck x
  • Options
    :lol: Very awesome Vicky! :thumb: this is why i like you so much! :)

:naughty:
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Potentially, for all of five minutes ;) .

My thoughts. I don't think sex is the medicine to get over someone quicker as you have to sort a lot of emotional stuff out and getting laid does imho not accelerate this.
    You might feel WHOA for a day, but then it's the same old feeling, you just have to overcome and just time will heal.

Moreoever if you stress about getting laid now and it's just not happening you are putting more pressure on yourself and become more miserable.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Moreoever if you stress about getting laid now and it's just not happening you are putting more pressure on yourself and become more miserable.

Agreed (again)

Personally, one night stands make me feel shit. I know that's not normal for a boy, but I always feel down after it, and you're probably more likely to feel like this if you've just split up with somebody - cause you won't see her again.

If it works for some then fair play, but shagging her out of my memory isn't the best way to deal with it for me :no:
  • Options
    id say the best thing after a breakup is acceptance - accepting that it's over and there's no turning back. random sex right after will create false attributions and just taint your path to real love. im no expert, but at least, that worked for me.