Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A question for the girlies on the boards :)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey :wave:
So I have a bit of a weird question but here goes.. Why do your periods stop when you cut down on food? Only reason I'm asking is because I have cut down quite a bit with my food and my periods have stopped. One of my friends joked 'its because you never eat'. Is this true? If so why?

Comments

• Options
    Yep, pretty sure that missed periods can be associated with eating disorders (if that's what you'd call it?) I'm not sure of the facts as to why though..

Might be worth getting an appointment with your GP to talk all of this through them them?
  • Options
    I haven't got an ED, just cut my food down. Don't like drs :\
  • Options
    If your periods have stopped then you're more than just cutting food down.

I don't know the science either, but as butterfly said it's fairly common in people who have eating disorders, particularly anorexia.
  • Options
    If your periods have stopped then you're more than just cutting food down.

I don't know the science either, but as butterfly said it's fairly common in people who have eating disorders, particularly anorexia.

I know that I don't have anorexia. I'm not one of these skinny girls you see. I'm a lot bigger then them. Trust me.
  • Options
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I know that I don't have anorexia. I'm not one of these skinny girls you see. I'm a lot bigger then them. Trust me.

You don't need to be 'one of those skinny girls' to have anorexia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    In simple terms, when the body is under stress (potentially as a result of low weight) the hormone production starts to shut down, suppressing the hormones that are linked to bringing on a period.

It really isn't good news if your periods have stopped. It's bad for your bones, as oestrogen (one of the hormones involved) is key to keeping them healthy. Not only that, but if you're eating so little that your periods have stopped then you're probably doing a whole lot more damage to your body.

I think you know that something isn't quite right, hence the post on here and your friends saying you never eat. This isn't something you're oblivious to. Please get the help that you deserve.
  • Options
    In simple terms, when the body is under stress (potentially as a result of low weight) the hormone production starts to shut down, suppressing the hormones that are linked to bringing on a period.

I think you know that something isn't quite right, hence the post on here and your friends saying you never eat. This isn't something you're oblivious to. Please get the help that you deserve.

I'm not really really skinny though (although I would like to be) so I can't be that bad. Maybe its just a coincidence?
    meggles wrote: »
    Isn't it called amenorrhea when your periods stop?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what its called
  • Options
    I'm not really really skinny though (although I would like to be) so I can't be that bad. Maybe its just a coincidence?

I think deep down you know that what you're doing is damaging.
  • Options
    I think deep down you know that what you're doing is damaging.

I'd rather do damage then get fat. I stopped eating around 4 years ago and my periods didn't stop then so that's why I was wondering what caused it.
    meggles wrote: »
    Its basically your body telling you that you aren't giving it what it needs

I eat fruit and veg
  • Options
    Like yellowseahorse has said. Your body is programmed to protect itself - so if it's starting to struggle with the basics, it starts to shut things down. High levels of stress, and inadequate nutrition are the two main (non pregnancy/menopause) reasons for periods stopping. It's your body trying to protect itself from whatever is going on. Like yellowseahorse said, it's a sign that your hormones aren't playing right - which damages your development.
  • Options
    Like yellowseahorse has said. Your body is programmed to protect itself - so if it's starting to struggle with the basics, it starts to shut things down. High levels of stress, and inadequate nutrition are the two main (non pregnancy/menopause) reasons for periods stopping. It's your body trying to protect itself from whatever is going on. Like yellowseahorse said, it's a sign that your hormones aren't playing right - which damages your development.

But I'm not thin so I don't understand how this can happen... Like fair enough I don't eat that much but its not as if I am one of these lovely skinny girls that have tried hard to get to the way they look. I've only just started more or less
  • Options
    It doesn't make a difference whether you're thin or not, weight does not come into it at all. If you're body is not getting what it needs then anything can start to happen.
  • Options
    It doesn't make a difference whether you're thin or not, weight does not come into it at all. If you're body is not getting what it needs then anything can start to happen.

I eat fruit and veg, everyones always says you need to eat that. That's got nutrients in it. Maybe its down to stress
  • Options
    Hey Becki,

Our article on missed periods also gives a few reasons that might explain what's going on:
    To have a period, the uterus, cervix, vagina and ovaries, as well as the pituitary gland and hypothalamus (the hormone control centre located in the brain), must be working normally.

There are lots of reasons for these to not be functioning as they usually do. Most common reasons are:
      Recently starting your period. For about a year after your first period it?s not uncommon for your cycle to be very erratic or even to miss your period for several months.
      Major changes in your life, like a new job, massive workload, bereavement can create enough stress to make you to miss your period.
      Rapid weight gain or loss, in particular missed periods associated with malnutrition or low body fat caused by eating disorders.
      Too much exercise, often connected with heavy dieting, can also stop your periods.
      In some cases heavy smoking can also be the cause of missed periods.

Whilst it may be down to stress, the only way you will know for sure is to go and have a chat with your GP - it sounds like you're not too keen on that idea. Can you tell us a bit more about what worries you about seeing the doctor?

In terms of the eating side of things - it's great that you're eating fruit and veg, these are really good for you. However, your body and your mind need more than just fruit and veg to stay well and avoid any long term health issues. Our moods are also really connected to how well we are eating.

You can learn more about what actually makes up a balanced diet here. It's more than possible to eat a balanced diet and not put on weight.

Our article on do I have an eating disorder might also be useful to read - it sounds like your relationship with food is difficult and it's worth knowing that people of all shapes and sizes can have eating disorders. Of course, none of us can diagnose you but as others have said, it sounds like you're aware that something's not quite right?

*hug*
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Can you tell us a bit more about what worries you about seeing the doctor?
    Fair enough yes I don't eat a lot but I've been here before, 4 years ago. I was forced to go to the drs who referred me to a nurse that did checks on me every week. I don't want this again. What's the point in going to drs about 'my eating' when I don't want it to change. If it changes (I.e me eating more) I will put on weight and get fat. That's defeating the object. I know what someone will say as well - if you excercise you won't. Well that tones muscles up making you look fatter. Again something that I don't want. I want bones thigh gaps and a flat tummy.
    Sorry for going on. I know I was stupid to make this thread

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I want bones thigh gaps and a flat tummy.

A lot of the time thigh gaps are actually down to the structure of your bones, which makes it almost impossible for some people to get a thigh gap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Can still get thin legs though instead of the tree trunks I have

• Options
    You need to go and see ur GP if ur periods has stopped all of a sudden. If u feel embarrassed going u could ask a friend to come along with u or a family member like it mum. How regularly does ur periods come? Do u take anything for it like contersepction? If so it could be that ur taking it incorrectly and that'd why it has suddenly just stopped or maybe down to not having enough particularly food group in ur diet? You haven't be intimated in the last few days have u? You dont have say if u dont want to but if u have u need to be aware of what u took as in being cautious. Not a question about u losing weight, the question is about how come my periods have stopped suddenly? Nothing to worry about, could be the most simpliest thing.

I would book an appointment with the doctor to get this sorted out and remember u can always ask someone to come along with u for support. If u feel like not seeing a guy doctor then ask to see a lady one instead. They will understand that ur shy and feel more comfortable with a lady doctor.

Always best to come prepared with a couple of questions so u can come out of the surgery feeling relieved and happy.

Hope that helps and get in touch with me when u know what's caused the problem.

Crazykiss x
  • Options
    I've been regular since they started like 8 years ago. No I don't take contraception because I have no intentions of having sex so that a no to your other question too
  • Options
    You don't just have to take them for intercourse, if u heavy periods u can take it to reduce the cycle in which ur periods come regularly. I take it for that and not for the other thing.

You should go and see the doctor if ur worried as they will know better then us. Don't feel afraid to go and see them. Lots of people everyday go and see the doctor about something which can be embarrassing so ur not the only one. What do u think?

Have u still not had a period?
  • Options
    You probably have a serious case of body dysmorphic disorder and you you will never be happy with what you achieve through your starving, as is nature of the syndrome. In the meantime you are damaging your body by withholding essential nutrients. The period stopping is the first, then you will start to lose hair and later down the line your teeth. There are ways to lose weight by eating balanced diets, but this advice is lost on you, because your problems are mental in nature, not physical. You go girl, soon you will be able to count your ribs.
  • Options
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    You don't just have to take them for intercourse, if u heavy periods u can take it to reduce the cycle in which ur periods come regularly. I take it for that and not for the other thing.

You should go and see the doctor if ur worried as they will know better then us. Don't feel afraid to go and see them. Lots of people everyday go and see the doctor about something which can be embarrassing so ur not the only one. What do u think?

Have u still not had a period?

I won't be going to drs about it because I know exactly what they will say, as I said earlier on the thread. No I haven't had my period yet

• Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    You probably have a serious case of body dysmorphic disorder and you you will never be happy with what you achieve through your starving, as is nature of the syndrome. In the meantime you are damaging your body by withholding essential nutrients. The period stopping is the first, then you will start to lose hair and later down the line your teeth. There are ways to lose weight by eating balanced diets, but this advice is lost on you, because your problems are mental in nature, not physical. You go girl, soon you will be able to count your ribs.

There's one thing being supportive but then you turned it into a sarcastic comment. There's just no need for it

• Options
    How will it help u in the future then if this happens again? You should talk to someone. Its all good speaking to us about it in here but u need someone there with u who can support u. Ok so it may not be that u had sex but it's got to be down to the nutrition ur having in ur food. I'm worried about u Becki. Please get help :(
  • Options
    Don't worry about me, I'll be fine.
  • Options
    There's one thing being supportive but then you turned it into a sarcastic comment. There's just no need for it

Might be but its the most truthful answer you're going to get. If you want people to tell you that its ok to not eat and not have periods then you're not in the right place
  • Options
    I am honest person there is on here what people can tell u about and I try to give constructive feedback as that's always the best option to go with if u want to make a valid point. ScrubbleS has a point as if u look at it u are going through not eating and not having periods cuz of that.

I'm saying this cuz I care about u and he does have a point. I'm not trying to be mean and not understandable but if u want the truth which u want to get from ur question then u will have to listen to the feedback from other members on here.

You can carry on like this. Got to see someone. I don't care if people have a telling me that it's not helpful advice but u know it's the truth and why pretend its not happening. Honesty is the best policy.

Hope u can talk to someone as soon as when u can. Your not on ur own.
  • Options

Everything in this post holds true anyway. The problem is not your weight and not yet the string of physical ailments that will befall you through depriving your body of what it needs to work properly. Those are merely symptoms of your body image issues and eating disorder that you seriously need to address to become better. You should talk to a confidant in real life who will be on your side and help you take steps towards your convalescence, the first step being professional therapy.
  • Options
    Worth remembering we can't diagnose folks...

As Lexi says, some members do have a more 'straight-talking' approach to advice than others - some people actually find that kind of advice useful, some don't, it can be too much too soon and come across as harsh. We all respond differently.

In this case, Strubbles - it's important to be sensitive to the fact that it's taken Becki a lot of courage to talk about this, the sarcasm was a bit mucn and detracts a bit from the advice you had to offer.

One thing to take away here Becki is that there are clearly plenty of people within the community that care, they feel worried about you and want to see you eating healthily..I can understand that this is a tough topic for you and it's going to take time to work things through so hopefully this thread isn't too overwhelming, we don't want to put pressure on you.

You're talking about it and that's a fantastic start..it's brave to be open about this kind of stuff :)
  • Options
    Thanks. May have been a mistake making this thread