Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No Make-up Selfies

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    it would be silly to suggest that people should be educated on all types of cancer because its completely unrealistic.

To educate every person to such a depth is unrealistic I agree, but awareness of all types of cancer wouldn't go a miss. I don't think it's unrealistic to educate people more on different types of cancer/effects etc etc - i'd rather learn about that than useless trigannometry that has so far gotten me no where in life!
    Id never feel bad for choosing to donate to that one individual area of research over another.

There is no doubt that people have charities closer to their heart than others, that's life and totally understandable. No one should feel 'bad' for choosing to donate to different areas of cancer research etc - you're donating and caring and that's the important thing :)
  • Options
    because its the most common. If i was asked to choose three to donate to it would be breast, lung and then prostate without any hesitation. I've watched family members die and friends fall to pieces as their family members were ill and these were the types that they had. The more common cancers are going to have more people donating and raising awareness because it affects more people, its that simple.

it would be silly to suggest that people should be educated on all types of cancer because its completely unrealistic. Of course its not fair that other campaigns go without as much recognition, but its not really surprising when so many more people have dealt with having breast or other more common cancers impact their lives. Id never feel bad for choosing to donate to that one individual area of research over another.

Well I suppose I'm one of the rare few that hasn't been affected by cancer (yet) so I would rather support the ones that get less recognition because quite frankly - I get sick of hearing about breast cancer. Maybe that's bad of me, but whatever. When it's forced down my throat like it was the other week when the no make up selfies took over my news feed I get sick of it, but same goes for anything that like that when it's literally everywhere and everyone starts sounding like a broken record.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Well I suppose I'm one of the rare few that hasn't been affected by cancer (yet) so I would rather support the ones that get less recognition because quite frankly - I get sick of hearing about breast cancer. Maybe that's bad of me, but whatever. When it's forced down my throat like it was the other week when the no make up selfies took over my news feed I get sick of it, but same goes for anything that like that when it's literally everywhere and everyone starts sounding like a broken record.

I have lost family members to rarer types of cancer. (one has stomach cancer, the other had spine and lung cancer - he also previously had mouth and throat cancer) and I have to admit I'm sick of hearing about breast cancer too. We do need awareness of the other cancers, many of which are much more rare. Because of how rare spine cancer is, there appears to be a serious lack of information and support out there. Yet, there's a lot of support for much more common cancers, including breast cancer.