Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

No Make-up Selfies

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
OK, so I'm sure lots of you are possibly quite tired of this subject now.

But if you're not - you might find this article quite interesting :)

5 uncomfortable lessons from the campaign.

Anything left unsaid?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have tried to respond to this post but am clearly too tired of it all and ranty to form anything that makes sense :P But I look forward to hearing what other people have to say.
  • Options
    I don't understand why they're saying the campaign is sexist, and people are egotistical? If this means it's sexist because woman wear make up but men don't, well I'll have you know that men are also putting make up on so that it's fair, and men are also donating money as well as doing this.

Also, in my opinion, there's no peer pressure involved in this one. If people don't want to post a picture then they're not doing so, but they're still donating.

It's like there's no winning, rather than trying to pick out negatives of this no make-up selfie thing, they should just be completely grateful for all of the money that has been donated to charity!

If people didn't post a picture to show that they've donated then you'll get those people saying 'well I don't believe you, I would like to see proof, blah blah blah'. Also, I don't see how posting this removes the selflessness at all.

This article has just annoyed me.
  • Options
    From a personal perspective, I have very little time for the no makeup selfie. That said, I do admit that it's good that so much money has been raised.

My main issues stem down to:
    1) In some cases, not wearing makeup and posting a picture of it has been cited as "brave." Sorry, no, posting a picture of yourself without makeup isn't brave. Fighting day after day, having treatment which makes your worse before you get better (if you get better) is brave.
    2) The no makeup selfie originally came about to raise awareness of breast cancer and to encourage women to check their breasts - I [personally] don't see the link between no makeup and checking your breasts.
    3) Building on point 3, breast cancer is only one type of cancer. Yes, generically cancer research on a whole has benefited greatly, however as this picture shows, there are many other types of cancer which are in dire need of more research and for that they need more money.

cancer-deaths-vs-research-funding_5029148b0fc6c.jpg

Thanks to YSH for showing me that picture.

I think this is just another internet craze. People got bored of/feared neknominations, so various celeb-nominations came about, that died down and this appeared. Again, I don't deny that the money raised will achieve good things. Had something been done online to raise awareness to the symptoms of other forms of cancer maybe I would feel different.
  • Options
    Ella, they are pretty much the three points that I had an issue with.

The money raised is undoubtedly a good thing - but I guess I felt like it did nothing for other aspects of informing people about cancer (in fact - maybe even impacted negatively)

Cancer 'awareness'
    Before the donations started, many were citing "cancer awareness" as the reason they were doing it - and I couldn't quite see how cancer as a whole needed awareness. Some were focusing on breast cancer alone - which out of ALL the cancers, doesn't seem to need awareness if we look at the money spent on research on the infographic. But what about self-examination? Well actually the evidence seems to shows that if you regularly check your breasts, you are not less likely to die of breast cancer. See this page. What about lung and bowel cancer? The two cancers we are most likely to die of. Did they get a mention? I didn't see any....
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I think people slating it are idiots. Charities always say even the smallest thing can help, even before people started donating as they posted their own picture, it raised awareness. For some people, posting one of these pictures is a huge thing, and just because they aren't being as brave as those fighting cancer, its still brave. I was nominated and I didn't do it because the idea of people seeing me without make up terrifies me (but I still donated) and there are people with much worse self esteem issues than me posting these pictures.

And that bullshit in the article about how charity giving being publicised takes away from the selflessness completely contradicts an earlier example like marathon runners. Websites like justgiving are made so that people can share their efforts to raise money for charity and every donation is shown and normally a comment is left.

It's clearly not just an internet craze as millions have been raised. Any money towards research helps so much. The campaign may have started as a breast cancer awareness thing, but people are texting BEAT which sends donations to Cancer Research which isn't just breast cancer.

It pisses me off to see people complaining when its clearly done an incredible amount of money/awareness raising. Stop being so sour and appreciate a good thing, you don't have to join in to do that.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    even before people started donating as they posted their own picture, it raised awareness

How so? Were people unaware of cancer before? Did looking at someone's makeup free face suddenly make them aware?
  • Options
    It pisses me off to see people complaining when its clearly done an incredible amount of money/awareness raising. Stop being so sour and appreciate a good thing, you don't have to join in to do that.

Both yellowseahorse and I said that the money raised is a good thing.

It's not a case of being "sour", and actually I think that is pretty rude.
    people are texting BEAT which sends donations to Cancer Research which isn't just breast cancer

I also acknowledged this. But again, if you look at the picture I posted that money is not evenly spread out in research e.g. pancreatic cancer. Ask most people and they wouldn't know the symptoms, so how about raising awareness for that?
    It's clearly not just an internet craze
    My definition of internet craze was something which is a fad; it's cool/a popular feature for a period of time but eventually attention on it ceases. Fewer no makeup selfies are already being posted, which proves my point.
  • Options
    No but donating to cancer research isn't in peoples minds 24/7. Even though it didn't start as a fundraiser people would've looked at them and donated.
  • Options
    But it is sourness, having such a bad overall attitude on the whole thing, you have pointed out positives but thats hard to focus on with so much cynicism.

The thing is it sounds like you're slating the people taking part and the campaign for it not being more evenly spread out. Thats how the organisation arranges it and sorts it out, it goes where its needed, where a lot of research is currently taking place.
  • Options
    This article sums it up my thoughts better than I can really. http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/no-makeup-selfies-mean-little-to-long-run-charity-causes/
    Yet as critics have already pointed out, while it may be an enlightening look at some women?s real faces, the trend does not actually do much to raise awareness of Cancer Research, what they do, or the individual diseases themselves. However, there is a much bigger problem with the no makeup selfie and that is the fact that it is symbolic of the deeply entrenched materialistic, short-term, self-obsession that is latent within society. The bottom line is no makeup selfies mean little to charity campaigns and causes in the long run.
  • Options
    I'm not gonna make anymore comments here because I'm just too pissed off with the, what in my opinion is, bullshit being said here.
  • Options
    I'm not gonna make anymore comments here because I'm just too pissed off with the, what in my opinion is, bullshit being said here.

Nothing like a bit of respecting that other people have differing opinions :thumb:
  • Options
    The thing is it sounds like you're slating the people taking part

mmmhmm like you're slating people for having different opinions. Raising awareness for other forms of cancer is something very close to my heart, that is not having a bad attitude, that is knowing that something needs to be done and a selfie is not enough. And yes, before you ask if I am doing anything, I am.
  • Options

If this debate is pissing you off, then it might mean you're generally feeling a bit irate and would benefit from some time out. The opinions here aren't bullshit, they just differ with yours. Anyhow, good to see the case isn't clear cut, would be boring if it was! ;)
  • Options
    Its just the fact that you're saying the people involved are self obsessed. That's what's pissing me off because its ridiculous. It stopped being about breast cancer pretty quickly, or at least on my newsfeed it did. It was about raising money for cancer research as a whole. If it was pancreatic cancer being targeted i can guarantee there would be a hell of a lot of people saying it should be going towards a different type of cancer. Its better not to direct a whole campaign on just one, Cancer Research itself was promoting the campaign and didn't have it specified as a breast cancer campaign.
    No i wasn't feeling generally irate, any money raised for cancer research is good in my eyes, I've lost/am losing too many people to so many different types that its frustrating so see so much negativity towards the people making the effort even if its only a small amount.
  • Options
    No i wasn't feeling generally irate, any money raised for cancer research is good in my eyes, I've lost/am losing too many people to so many different types that its frustrating so see so much negativity towards the people making the effort even if its only a small amount.

And you are not the only one. I lost my mum to pancreatic cancer. Tomorrow is her anniversary.

I am not being negative, I have very clearly explained that I think the money raised is good. I have, however, also said that I feel that not enough is being done for other forms of cancer, and maybe something should be done abut that and that I fail to see the link between a naked selfie and cancer awareness. The end.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I've seen an awful lot of no make up selfies on Facebook, but then an awful lawt of boys have started a make up selfie :P It's amusing, but also raising awareness!
  • Options
    ella! wrote: »
    And you are not the only one. I lost my mum to pancreatic cancer. Tomorrow is her anniversary.

I am not being negative, I have very clearly explained that I think the money raised is good. I have, however, also said that I feel that not enough is being done for other forms of cancer, and maybe something should be done abut that and that I fail to see the link between a naked selfie and cancer awareness. The end.

your first post was very negative.

and yes WOTH! The lads on my newsfeed are looking gorge :P
  • Options
    your first post was very negative.

People are allowed to have different opinions and everyone else's opinions are just as welcome as yours.
  • Options
    I fully accept that I'm cynical.

In terms of fundraising, this campaign has clearly beeen successful.

I'm just not sure of it's value in terms of this "cancer awareness" that people (read - every single person on my newsfeed) keep talking about. And maybe I am overly critical, but I think it's important to look at the things that I think this campaign didn't achieve. I'm really pleased that this much money has been raised. I just don't think that repeated similar stunts would get anywhere near solving the problem. Because there are things just as important as one-off donations. Such as time, compassion, education, long-term solutions. I think a perfect campaign would feature all of these things.

Educating people about the different types of cancer, the types of cancer that don't receive as much press. The types that are underfunded, and in the case of pancreatic cancer where survival rates are so so poor. (Under 20% for 1 year survival and under 4% for 5 year survival). Maybe it is too simplified in my head... but education/informing people --> compassion --> people more likely to give up their time / money long-term to support a cause.
  • Options
    People are allowed to have different opinions and everyone else's opinions are just as welcome as yours.

no shit? it was a negative post though
  • Options
    I fully accept that I'm cynical.

In terms of fundraising, this campaign has clearly beeen successful.

I'm just not sure of it's value in terms of this "cancer awareness" that people (read - every single person on my newsfeed) keep talking about. And maybe I am overly critical, but I think it's important to look at the things that I think this campaign didn't achieve. I'm really pleased that this much money has been raised. I just don't think that repeated similar stunts would get anywhere near solving the problem. Because there are things just as important as one-off donations. Such as time, compassion, education, long-term solutions. I think a perfect campaign would feature all of these things.

Educating people about the different types of cancer, the types of cancer that don't receive as much press. The types that are underfunded, and in the case of pancreatic cancer where survival rates are so so poor. (Under 20% for 1 year survival and under 4% for 5 year survival). Maybe it is too simplified in my head... but education/informing people --> compassion --> people more likely to give up their time / money long-term to support a cause.

I understand that, but it came across like you were discounting what the campaign did in a way. Of course other types need more publicity but I just find that a general fundraiser for cancer research that raises millions is better than a focused one on a lesser known cancer which won't raise as much, which is awful but true really.
  • Options
    no shit? it was a negative post though

No. It was ella's own opinion, and ella was trying to get her point and thoughts across, which is allowed.

I'm not going to argue, I'm just saying that everyone has their own opinion and they're entitled to their own opinion. Some people may not like it, like you, but that doesn't matter because it's not your opinion.
  • Options
    A little sensitivity towards ella wouldn't go amiss. Hoping not to have to close this thread.
  • Options
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/25/thousands-donated-by-mistake-to-unicef-or-to-adopt-a-polar-bear-rather-than-cancer-research-uk-during-nomakeupselfie-craze-4677820/
    Metro wrote:
    Thousands donated by mistake to Unicef (or to adopt a polar bear) rather than Cancer Research UK during #nomakeupselfie craze
  • Options
    Hehe, I wondered why there were references to polar bears on my news feed!
  • Options
    Saying that people are entitled to the their own opinion is about the biggest non-statement going. It's tantamount to saying "people are entitled to the synaptic electrical impulses that occur inside their own head". The only way you could remove someone's entitlement to their own opinions is by lobotomising or murdering them. It's only slightly more ridiculous than admonishing people to respect others' opinions merely because they hold them.

Cancer research receiving money is good, but as has clearly been demonstrated more generally speaking we need a more coherent approach to distributing funds.
  • Options
    I wish I had the time and energy to reply to this properly right now, but this is just a reminder to me for tomorrow to reply with my thoughts as reading this has opened my eyes big time. it's really interesting to read other people's views and opinions. I fear it's going off on a tangent this whole 'no make-up selfie' thing as this appeared on my newsfeed earlier: Our #DuckFace #Selfie for Fibroduck Foundation Text SELF03 £3 TO 70070 Funding for Fibromyalgia Research - defo not cancer research?? Although, great stuff as I suffer with fibro myself so can't complain.
  • Options
    I'm with yellowseahorse on this one, you pretty much said everything I was going to say. I think it's also worth pointing out that according to macmillan's website March is actually prostate and ovarian cancer awareness month. I never saw either of them get a mention. I think it's fair to feel a bit put out that breast cancer seems to get more than it's fair share of attention and funding and that there are other cancers out there that are more dangerous due to lack of medical knowledge and general awareness. Breast cancer seems to be the default one to pick when 'raising awareness' or donating - I'm not entirely sure why.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Breast cancer seems to be the default one to pick when 'raising awareness' or donating - I'm not entirely sure why.

because its the most common. If i was asked to choose three to donate to it would be breast, lung and then prostate without any hesitation. I've watched family members die and friends fall to pieces as their family members were ill and these were the types that they had. The more common cancers are going to have more people donating and raising awareness because it affects more people, its that simple.

it would be silly to suggest that people should be educated on all types of cancer because its completely unrealistic. Of course its not fair that other campaigns go without as much recognition, but its not really surprising when so many more people have dealt with having breast or other more common cancers impact their lives. Id never feel bad for choosing to donate to that one individual area of research over another.