Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Becoming a step mum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My new boyfriend has a two year old little boy, who doesn't live with him and he has him on weekends. He is not on great terms with his ex - she's constantly finding things to complain about and often threatens to stop him seeing his little one.

I love kids, and I'm very happy to spend some of my time with his little one - in fact I'm actually really looking forward to meeting him and going and doing fun things like going to the zoo and stuff. I am worried about his little one not liking me or his ex getting upset with me. She seems to have huge mood swings and make huge arguments over very small things.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Would it be a good idea to meet the mum first and have a chat with her so you're on good terms before you start taking your son out? She might feel less threatened and if the son is there he'll see you as more of a friendly figure?
  • Options
    I think you need to become a big big part of your boyfriends life before you start getting involved with his child, especially as he is so young. if I'm right you have only been going out...less than a month? I don't think you should be being introduced until it's been much longer and I know if I was the ex girlfriend I wouldn't be happy about that.
  • Options
    Pretty much what Firenze said.

Of the selection of men I know in a similar position to your new boyfriend (and working offshore, there's a fair few) the general consensus seems to be that girlfriends need to be pretty well established before becoming part of the child's life. That doesn't necessarily mean child doesn't know about girlfriends existence - but baby steps is key on this one.
  • Options
    I completely disagree. I think it's great that you're being introduced, your boyfriend needs to know how you and his son get on. It's not just about you and your boyfriend in this relationship, you should meet his son before you guys get more serious because it's very important that you get on well with his child.
  • Options
    I completely disagree. I think it's great that you're being introduced, your boyfriend needs to know how you and his son get on. It's not just about you and your boyfriend in this relationship, you should meet his son before you guys get more serious because it's very important that you get on well with his child.

so if they are introduced, then in a month or so's time they decide to end it because things aren't working out, how confusing is that for the child? the little boy is only 2 so the chances of them 'not getting on' are quite slim really, he is very young, it's not like hes a stroppy teenager or something.

if you had a child with somebody then broke up with them would you be happy with your ex introducing the child to his new girlfriend after only a couple of weeks? I wouldn't be.
  • Options
    Not much to add to what the others have said other than 'step-mum' is a massive commitment and pretty permanent. I think that if/when you are introduced, it shouldn't be as another mum. That times time.
  • Options
    so if they are introduced, then in a month or so's time they decide to end it because things aren't working out, how confusing is that for the child? the little boy is only 2 so the chances of them 'not getting on' are quite slim really, he is very young, it's not like hes a stroppy teenager or something.

if you had a child with somebody then broke up with them would you be happy with your ex introducing the child to his new girlfriend after only a couple of weeks? I wouldn't be.

There's no point whatsoever getting serious in a relationship if your partner and child do not get on. I'm going off experience and one of my ex's children was only two when my ex and I got together, and it took him a while to warm up to me. You've got to build a relationship with the children before you get serious with your partner.

Also, it's not really his ex's choice. He wants to introduce his girlfriend to his son and that's his choice, his ex will have to deal with it.
  • Options
    I think you need to become a big big part of your boyfriends life before you start getting involved with his child, especially as he is so young. if I'm right you have only been going out...less than a month? I don't think you should be being introduced until it's been much longer and I know if I was the ex girlfriend I wouldn't be happy about that.

This. Completely this.
    My mum has had boyfriends in and out my life since I was three and I've fucking hated it, no stability, them living with us and then not, the arguments etc etc. There is no need to meet the child until things are very serious in your relationship.

Butterfly your point is absolutely ridiculous. Children need stability and introducing them to people who might not stick around is very damaging. Also, it is 100% his ex's business and she needs to be involved with the decisions and situations. The child is very young and can't make their own decisions, so parents with joint custody must make the decisions TOGETHER in the best interest of the child.
  • Options
    Butterfly your point is absolutely ridiculous. Children need stability and introducing them to people who might not stick around is very damaging. Also, it is 100% his ex's business and she needs to be involved with the decisions and situations. The child is very young and can't make their own decisions, so parents with joint custody must make the decisions TOGETHER in the best interest of the child.

I agree and I'm glad it's not just me! butterfly I couldn't disagree with you more.
  • Options
    Not every relationship turns out bad, who knows what's going to happen.

If you read Miss_Riot's original post you will see that she has mentioned that her partner and his ex aren't on great terms. Yes, of course it's his mums business too, but it sounds like she wouldn't be happy with it at any point in his relationship, yet I bet if this was the other way around then she would be more than happy to introduce her son to her partner straight away.

I said I'm going off experience from when I met my ex's children. I do not have my own kids and I don't have experience from the child's point of view because my parents have been together forever, so back off. I don't think I'm right, I'm just giving my opinion, as you guys are.

Anyway, I don't think this is the discussion Miss_Riot wanted, unless I've got that wrong.
  • Options
    I'm being introduced to his little one as his dad's friend - his ex has essentially said he must see him every week all weekend or forfeit all visitation rights, so if he wants to see me at any time too he doesn't have much choice - his ex doesn't want him to move on with his life even though she has - she's got BDP and bipolar, and she's used the little one as a bargining chip time and time again. I'd like to meet her and hopefully develop an at least civil relationship with her when me and C have been together for a few months but considering how unstable she is, I really don't want to give her any ammo to try and stop him seeing little one again. maybe my title was a little 'provocative', I'm not trying to be stepmum straight away but thats (if all goes well) what I'd like to be in the future.

Note - She wants him to have him every weekend so she can have her boyfriend over, who she did introduce to little one pretty much after 2 dates. And guys I don't come on here to be judged or have my actions judged, I've just asked for some advice, possibly not in the best way I could have done considering the situation but now you guys have all the info. All I wanted was some ideas of how to make friends with his little one and how to go onwards...
  • Options
    nobody judged you they just pointed out that maybe it would be best to wait for awhile before you tried to become step mum. miss riot forgive me because I'm not being rude but I remember in the past you have sometimes posted how you find it difficult to hold back when you have a new boyfriend and not be a bit over the top etc so this post just set alarm bells ringing for me, wondering how to become someone's step mum after a couple of weeks is too much I feel. but the way you have explained it in the last post is much better, ideas on how to make friends with him, if you miss do it so soon. 2 year olds are easy to impress, sweets, their favourite tv character and being fun will usually do it...
  • Options
    I understand your concern in that case - my last relationship was rushed, and yes I have thrown myself in head first to things but I'm specifically not doing that this time.

I know this is a little bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what stage are most kids at when they reach 2? I know that he's only just two, and I know he's not quite getting full sentences out but he's getting his meaning across, although I've been told he'll rarely stay still for long (C has said that he'll sit and watch a short kids program, but hasn't the attention span for much - which I'm assuming is very normal. I've spent more time around kids younger and around school starting age and I've managed ok, but I'm kind of trying to build an idea in my head what he will and won't understand and do. I'm a little worried about the hyperactive running about bit because I can't run and keep up, so I'm a bit worried about not being able to stop being he goes head first into a wall but most of Saturday they'll be 3 adults (his dad, his housemate who often baby sits and has done since he was tiny and me) so I'm hoping someone can grab him if it looks like he's going to do stuff like that.

This isn't how we wanted to meet but with his ex giving him ultimatums (and they have been apart for over a year) he wasn't really left with much choice - and I never want to put him in a position of choosing being me and little one (because I know little one will come first every time and rightly so)!
  • Options
    This worries me so much. It damaged me immensely as a child having people in and out my life, and being with someone for only a month is no indicator of a long lasting relationship. You may be introduced as his "friend" but what if you're his "friend" for 3 months every weekend and then not his "friend" any more? Who knows how that might affect the child. Just as a note I totally disagree with the mother introducing her new partner so soon as well.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to meet the mum first and have a chat with her so you're on good terms before you start taking your son out? She might feel less threatened and if the son is there he'll see you as more of a friendly figure?

yeah... no. If she is a cunt to the ex, she surely won't be nice to his new gf.

Just let it happen. He has a right to see his child and if he has him for the weekend he can choose to hang out with you as three. You don't need permission from his ex and you shouldn't seek it.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hello,

Good to see this thread is a little more back on track - fireyfirenze, I :heart: you.

Just a reminder that these kinds of threads aren't a debating ground on the issue of relationships when children are in the picture, they're a space for insight and encouragement.

Remember that your own personal experience is super subjective and try not to project too much onto Miss_Riot as she needs to navigate her own circumstances and we really don't know anything about the family concerned. What works for one family might be different for another - and really the key to any of these relationships is good communication - being open and honest with the children and protecting them in the process.

Miss_Riot, try to avoid drawing too many conclusions about the mother at this point and perhaps approach this as a discovery phase rather than one where you make any assumptions or hard and fast decisions. There's lots you won't know and so maintaining a compassionate approach, even if your other half is bad mouthing her, will be better in the long run - for you, your partner and the kids. As they are still young, there's still plenty of time for negotiation, compromise and warmth between the parents, so supporting your boyfriend to find these will be key - that means listening to his concerns, but being ready to step back from the situation if needed and know that even if you are able to provide solutions, you may never be able to take credit for your role - it's one of those where you may become the invisible peace keeper. This could be really tough, but also rewarding if you make it through together.

I have a two year-old niece and she's very forthright - she's cute and loving, but also has no inhibitions and would have no qualms telling me 'oh shut up aunty Helen' or 'go away, don't want to see you now' - that's the funny thing about children - they will just speak their mind without hesitation. So I guess I'm telling you this because if you experience it, the key is not to take it personally! And also recognise it doesn't mean they don't like you, they will value the interactions you have and your time and as B_A says could become quite attached.

Anyhow, take your time to absorb the situation you've found yourself in and don't hesitate to reach out to wider organisations that have insight on this - Family Matters is a great starting place - and also one to familiarise your boyfriend with:
    http://familylives.org.uk/

I know a lone mother who would contact them regularly when trying to navigate a situation where her young son suddenly refused to spend time with Dad and girlfriend - they were really helpful. :thumb:
  • Options
    Even though a lot has been said about the ex I am trying to remain as I'm partial as possible towards her, but until C can have civil conversations with her, it's going to be difficult for me to have one with her too.

We've been very open and honest about how we're feeling. This weekend I'm meeting a lot of his friends so just a bit nervous about that too!

I'll definitely give family matters a go :)

Thanks Helen!!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Im a step dad.
    When i started seeing my missus I was introduced as a friend only until things became more serious. It makes much more sense in my mimd to wait until the relatiomship's established before making it known to the kid that you are now together. Doesnt mean you cant be introduced before that though.
    Taking on a kid whos not your own who still has a lot of contact with your partners ex is a big deal, and can be tricky at times. My adcice would be not to try too hard too soon, to fill in the stepmum roll. Let it happen slowly.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ok one thing I can't get my head around - he's meant to be a very cuddly child and I'm a cuddly adult, but should I stay a bit reserved at first or just give him cuddles when he wants them? I'm also aware I can't really pick him up cos I'll do my back in but I don't want him to think I don't care because of it. I was thinking it might be better for be to get down to his level anyway?
  • Options
    If the child goes to give you a cuddle then obviously don't push him away, but I think at this stage it'd be better to let him come to you rather than you to him. He might be a bit shy and not want cuddles straight away.
    It's always good to be down on a child's level when playing so they don't feel intimidated, just as a general rule. If he does want you to pick him up then just explain to him that you can't because it makes your back hurt, depending on how advanced he is he might understand this and if he doesn't then it's always good to give a reason anyway so they know you aren't fobbing them off.
  • Options
    That's what's I was thinking but I thought I'd check and if he really wants to be picked up then I'll get C to pick him up and pass him to me instead.

Meeting him at 11! :/
  • Options
    Just realised one thing...children have sharp teeth! :/ Owch!
  • Options
    Yup.
  • Options
    Otherwise very good first meeting - he didn't want to let go of me when he had to go. So that's a good start I hope...!
  • Options
    Glad it went well. :)
  • Options
    Yeah I can't wait to spend more time with him, apart from the bite that was meant to be a kiss he was a absolutely lovely kid to be around. Just need to get him to stop calling mummy! He calls most women around him mummy but I guess him getting my name will come in time. Meeting C's friends was great too, already been invited to a hen do, so I think that's all good. Just got to meet his dad and more of his friends later!
  • Options
    I'm glad it went well. Being called mummy isn't that unusual at that age, they overextend words as part of learning vocab; mummy is a woman so every woman is mummy.

I'm sure you know all this, but don't feel you have to try and be his mother. You're not.

Dr Roll was introduced to sodchild as a friend, and sodchild's only complaint was that they shared the same first name- "but I'M sodchild *grump*". She got over it pretty quickly. Sodchild doesn't see her as her mother and is clear on that, but she does understand that we're a couple and we're moving in together. She's decided that we're going to get married, though I think that's purely so she can be a bridesmaid. She's at that stage where she doesn't want a smelly boy to take her to the loo, though, which is interesting for Dr Roll. You've got that to look forward to.

Instability is always a bad thing, but it's for the parent to manage that, not you.
  • Options
    One thing that's going to be an issue is currently concerning me is the fact little one sleeps either in a cot at the end of his bed or in C's bed with him. Obviously we can't do things when he's there, but he's got him every weekend and either that means no nookie for us or....what? Any ideas on how to get around that one?
  • Options
    'Nookie' in another room? If you're able to manage that.

Sounds gross writing it but people do use the sofa or something...
  • Options
    Yeah but he has a housemate and there's no other room asides the bathroom. :/ but I'm also bearing in mind he's thinking of moving house soon to be on his own because his ex has so much drama going on and isn't a good person to have around little one (she smokes weed all the time and has had odd men coming and going).

If things go well it might make some sense to come over here sometimes and we can set up a travel cot in my room or downstairs after we go to bed.