Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this all there is?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Firstly Hello to those who remember me.

I've been employed now since December last year (hurray for a job and its one I actually trained for and kind of like) but now 7-8 months in....

I get up at 6 eat go to work and come home between 6 and 7 eat again and collapse until I go to bed. I do this 4 days a week and the other 3 I get off. The problem is I have nothing outside of work. No friends or anything particularly social. I do go to a wind band but they are all either far older or younger than myself and theres not much time for social time there either.

I know I need to get out more and meet more people but I really just don't know how.

Coupled with this, for a long time I have suffered with social phobia and low self esteem and depression. Social situations are very difficult for me.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Options
    Firefly-86 wrote: »
    Firstly Hello to those who remember me.

I've been employed now since December last year (hurray for a job and its one I actually trained for and kind of like) but now 7-8 months in....

I get up at 6 eat go to work and come home between 6 and 7 eat again and collapse until I go to bed. I do this 4 days a week and the other 3 I get off. The problem is I have nothing outside of work. No friends or anything particularly social. I do go to a wind band but they are all either far older or younger than myself and theres not much time for social time there either.

I know I need to get out more and meet more people but I really just don't know how.

Coupled with this, for a long time I have suffered with social phobia and low self esteem and depression. Social situations are very difficult for me.

Thank you for reading.

Hey Firefly. Wow i could have written this. I know how it feels, like your life has been reduced to a series of habits and nothing more (or at least that's how i feel).

I might be able to write something better tomorrow, but for now just to let you know you're not alone in feeling like this
  • Options
    Hi Firefly-86 :wave:

Glad to hear you're at least kind liking the job ;)

Have you looked into any social groups for people that may be in similar situations? I'm not sure what's in your area but somewhere like Mind may be a starting point?

Hope you're feeling ok today,

Dp :heart:
  • Options
    Hi Dollypop.

To be honest the majority of the groups around me that I know about are aimed at trying to get people back into work and so are during the day when I am at work. I also had a look at the mind website and there seems to be no Mind group for my area.

Unfortunately I am not so good at the moment. My grandfather passed away last night.
  • Options
    Have you considered any kind of sport/exercise class?

Can be good to get out and about, and at least cross paths with some different people even if you don't really make friends as such. My personal one is Zumba - good laugh. No skill or fitness required.
  • Options
    Firefly-86 wrote: »
    Hi Dollypop.

To be honest the majority of the groups around me that I know about are aimed at trying to get people back into work and so are during the day when I am at work. I also had a look at the mind website and there seems to be no Mind group for my area.

Unfortunately I am not so good at the moment. My grandfather passed away last night.

So sorry to hear about your grandfather *hug* Were you close? not that it matters losing someone is awful whatever the circumstance.

Hmmmm yes that makes sense it's frustrating when everything seems to be aimed at a day time audience and you have to work! Is there anything you've ever really wanted try? I don't know like rock climbing, cooking lessons just anything? You could set yourself a personal challenge to look on deal sites such as groupon and when something comes up that you like the look of go for it? Have you looked into organisations such as spice the success of these companies just proves how many people there are out there in the same situation wanting to broaden their social cirlces.

dp :heart:
  • Options
    Hobbies/Clubs

Hello Firefly :)

Glad to hear you are liking your new job.

A possible way of meeting new people could be to think of a hobby or something that you've always wanted to do, and find out how you can go about doing the hobby i.e. joining a club, learning a new skill etc. Doing this means that not only do you get the chance to meet new people with the same hobbies, but also get to learn something new that you've always wanted to do!

This idea worked for me a couple of years back when I decided to start rock climbing, it is something I've always wanted to do and I met lots of new people by doing so.

Good luck!

Sarah :)
  • Options
    scary monster: to be honest no I hadn't thought about it to be honest. I know I do need to fitten up somewhat. the leisure centre is close by so I can have a look see what's on.

dollypop: we were not especially close but it has been hard on my mother who has lost both her parents now so my father and I are trying to support her as best we can.

to be honest I've not really looked at group on before and so don't know what its about. I had a quick look at spice in my lunch and it seems interesting, whether I take that plunge or not I'm not sure yet. are there other such companies as well as spice? I wouldn't even know what to put onto Google.

unicornprincess: firstly welcome to the site and making your first post in my thread. at the moment my problem is that I really don't know what I want to do, well OK I do but its nothing at all...s I also have the slight disadvantage of being fortunate enough to have tried many things already.

I just need to get around to seeing what's out there and try and get excited about something. haha it all sounds so easy written down here though doesn't it...