Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ptsd

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone, basically i have been diagnosed with deression and PTSD after suffering from abuse through out my life. I have nightmare at least once a night (if i even get to sleep), flashbacks and hallucinations where i see my abuser a few times each day, i also hear voices but they never go away, and sometimes shout and get angry if i don't listen to them.
I was just wondering, does anyone else have PTSD, or exerience similar thing? How do you cope with it?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    I'm in a similar situation. Do you still see mental health workers? What support have they offered?
  • Options
    No broken angel, i was dropped from my support team, as it was for children and adolesences and i turned 18, so have had no support since end of janurary.
  • Options
    Did they not refer you to the adult mental health services? I think you should go to see your GP and discuss the options available.

I know it's really hard, and in all honesty no form of therapy helped me because I just wasn't willing to engage. I'm currently on medication and it is a great help, but I know medication isn't the right option for everyone.

Abuse is really difficult thing to deal with, and everyone finds different ways of coping. The memories will never go away, but there are ways to stop them interfering with every day life :heart:
  • Options
    Well they put a referal in, but they put it in for a social care team rather than a mental health team, but couple weeks ago the team i was with tod me not to contact them anymore, so i don't even know what is now happening in terms of a referal. My GP knows about everything, and he faxed my psychatrist i was with to sort things out, as he was the one that said he wanted me to go on to having support with adult services.

I am on medication for my PTSD, but it doesn't seem to be working, and since taking it is when i have been having hallucinations and seeing my abuser, not sure if there linked or not though.

Can i ask how old you are? and were you abused? you don't have to say if you don't feel comfortable though.
  • Options
    I think you should book a GP appointment for as soon as possible, and make sure you speak to him about your medication. There are plenty of different ones out there, it's about getting the right one and the right dosage for you. It takes time, I've been through 10 or so in the past year and it's getting changed again in a couple of weeks, but stick with it, it will help.

I'm 16 next month, and yes I have been.
  • Options
    I also have PTSD - I'm going through a night terrors phase again as well. http://www.napac.org.uk are a good place to get support. But as broken angel said talk to your GP.
  • Options
    I think you should book a GP appointment for as soon as possible, and make sure you speak to him about your medication. There are plenty of different ones out there, it's about getting the right one and the right dosage for you. It takes time, I've been through 10 or so in the past year and it's getting changed again in a couple of weeks, but stick with it, it will help.

I'm 16 next month, and yes I have been.

Thanks for the advice, and i'm sorry you've been through it, do you mind me asking what form of abuse?
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I also have PTSD - I'm going through a night terrors phase again as well. http://www.napac.org.uk are a good place to get support. But as broken angel said talk to your GP.

Thanks, have you been diagnosed with PTSD long?
  • Options
    I have had PTSD for 12 years but It was only diagnosed 8/9 years ago
  • Options
    do you know why it started? and can i ask how old are you?
  • Options
    Yeah I was abused by my father as a child. I'm 23.
  • Options
    i'm sorry, my dad physically and emotionally abused me, then i was sexually abused by a very close family friend too. I've just turned 18.
  • Options
    I also have ptsd with symptoms quite similar to yours (and I have other mental health problems too). Mine is from sexual abuse as a child, I'm 29 now. Every night I still have dreams of being raped.
  • Options
    My nightmares are exactly the same of being raped, although sometimes they mix up a bit and my dad will be there pinning me down and hitting me too. What do you do to cope with it?
  • Options
    I have many 'negative' coping strageties such as self harm, alcohol misuse etc. Some of the more positive ones involve skills I have learnt in therapy such as distress tolerance skills. This has helped with the panic attacks more than the dreams though. I mainly avoid sleep as much as I can then get really tired and sleep for ages, I don't like this though.
  • Options
    I'm exactly the same i self harm every day at least one, and when i was 16 i became dependant on alcohol, but still turn to alcohol every now and then. I avoid sleeping to , until i just can't physically keep my eyes open anymore, but still can't sleep long cause have night mares.
  • Options
    katiejayne wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, and i'm sorry you've been through it, do you mind me asking what form of abuse?

I've been sexually, emotionally and physically abused from the age of 7 by various different people.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, I understand what you've been through, and you should never have had to go through that
  • Options
    It's fine. It's affected me quite badly and I consequently have a long list of mental health problems, I don't think any one can fully understand any one else's experiences of abuse as it affects everyone differently... but we can advice and relate to each other's lives.

Have you booked a GP appointment at all?
  • Options
    I have PTSD-like symptoms in the form of complicated grief, due to having been present when my dad died. I suspect this manifests quite differently to abuse-induced PTSD, so I don't know how useful this will be, but have you tried meditation? Guided meditation to be exact. My counselling service ran a group, and now I listen to mp3s from time to time.
  • Options
    It's fine. It's affected me quite badly and I consequently have a long list of mental health problems, I don't think any one can fully understand any one else's experiences of abuse as it affects everyone differently... but we can advice and relate to each other's lives.

Have you booked a GP appointment at all?

No i don't like my GP, it's a male and i having really bad trust/anxiety problems with and around males
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    I have PTSD-like symptoms in the form of complicated grief, due to having been present when my dad died. I suspect this manifests quite differently to abuse-induced PTSD, so I don't know how useful this will be, but have you tried meditation? Guided meditation to be exact. My counselling service ran a group, and now I listen to mp3s from time to time.

Yeah i am on medication, i am on sertraline for my PTSD, but i haven't seen any changes of benefits.
  • Options
    No i don't like my GP, it's a male and i having really bad trust/anxiety problems with and around males

You can ask to see a different GP if you're not comfortable with your current one.
  • Options
    Meditation, not medication :) a bit like yoga.
  • Options
    oh right, sorry i didn't read it properlly lol
  • Options
    I was going through this thread and I'm all choked up, I'm so sorry that all of you had to go through so much. I know these scars will take time to heal but, I'm sure all of you're strong and you'll do it. You'll all fight the demons of past and emerge as winners.
    Its not easy but, you've done it before and we're all here for you.
    We all love you and care for you and you're all in our thoughts.
    If only, I could personally do it, I'd hug you each individually but, for now lots of virtual hugs to you. *hug**hug**hug**hug**hug**hug*
    Please Take care.
    xx sam
  • Options
    thanks sam, means alot
  • Options
    thanks sam, means alot

:)
  • Options
    Has anyone tried the courage to heal books? I've got them but I haven't gotten very far. Sometimes I don't know whether its best to carry on as I am or work with the books and bring stuff up which could make me worse.
  • Options
    I can't really give much advice on how to cope with it as i've never really coped well. But i still see the persons face in the dark and hear their voice and stuff and get flash backs. I think though when that does happen counting and telling yourself they aren't there helps to calm down and make the stuff go away.
    I think counselling and therapy helps though and working with someone in depth.