Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gay Marriage

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In addition, there's a big difference between a religious institution, and something that is public that just happens to be run by someone with particular religious views.
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    True but that's why I said as a test case. And we all know how far the religious views of some people get them when they go up against gays (or at least gay visitors to their B&B).

I think you've just revealed far more about your opinion there than you probably wanted to. I think that's an incredibly homophobic way of putting something. A Freudian slip.

Practising religion in a bone fide place of worship (e.g. church, temple, synagogue) is a protected characteristic. Saying someone is not allowed in your shop/hotel/donkey sanctuary because of a claimed religious belief is not a protected characteristic.
  • Options
    It wouldn't have said anything about my 'opinion' - purely because I don't have one. I use labels for lots of different types of people, myself included.

Again that's why I said it would be a 'test' case.
  • Options
    I don't think the test case would get to court because the bill pretty explicitly protects religious institutions right to decline ceremonies if they want to.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    So, I'm glad the bill has been passed, but is everyone's problem the fact that gay people can be turned away in churches and stuff?
  • Options
    I'm fine with those with religious convictions to have the right not to marry me.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I think it probably is homophobic

Unfortunately you missed me edit my typo, he was saying it was homophobic to say gay love was the same as straight love (I inserted a "not")
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
  • Options
    Whoop whoop :yippe:
  • Options
    I am so happy about this! :D
  • Options
    Whoop!
  • Options
    About time!

So when can we start just calling it all 'marriage'?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Instead of "gay marriage" or "same sex marriage" the news should simply be reporting it as "sex-agnostic marriage".
  • Options
    I will admit, although it may be a different debate, it's a shame CP wasn't either extended to heterosexual people / scrapped since everyone can now have a civil wedding.
  • Options
    CP will be an issue that rumbles on and on. It's still against the equality act because straight people can't have a CP.

It should have been binned as the ludicrous fudge it was.
  • Options
    It's still against the equality act because straight people can't have a CP.

Yes, that's what I figured. Although straight is not a protected characteristic so people make less noise or something. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I wonder if that means equality only applies if you're a 'protected' section of society. Damn...
  • Options
  • Options
    I wonder if that means equality only applies if you're a 'protected' section of society. Damn...

Under the equality act there are 9 protected characteristics.

Where this is referred to, it refers to a person belonging to a particular age (e.g. 32 year olds) or range of ages (e.g. 18 - 30 year olds).

Disability

A person has a disability if s/he has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on that person's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Gender reassignment

The process of transitioning from one gender to another.

Marriage and civil partnership

Marriage is defined as a 'union between a man and a woman'. Same-sex couples can have their relationships legally recognised as 'civil partnerships'. Civil partners must be treated the same as married couples on a wide range of legal matters.

Pregnancy and maternity

Pregnancy is the condition of being pregnant or expecting a baby. Maternity refers to the period after the birth, and is linked to maternity leave in the employment context. In the non-work context, protection against maternity discrimination is for 26 weeks after giving birth, and this includes treating a woman unfavourably because she is breastfeeding.

Race

Refers to the protected characteristic of Race. It refers to a group of people defined by their race, colour, and nationality (including citizenship) ethnic or national origins.

Religion and belief

Religion has the meaning usually given to it but belief includes religious and philosophical beliefs including lack of belief (e.g. Atheism). Generally, a belief should affect your life choices or the way you live for it to be included in the definition.

Sex

A man or a woman.

Sexual orientation

Whether a person's sexual attraction is towards their own sex, the opposite sex or to both sexes.

I'd be extremely interested to meet the person that isn't covered by at least one of those nine.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Although straight is not a protected characteristic so people make less noise or something. :rolleyes:

Sexual orientation is a protected characteristic, and the Equality Act tidied things up by making it clear it refers to any gender-related sexual orientation (no, Glenn Quagmire, shagging sheep is not a protected characteristic).
  • Options
    Sexual orientation is a protected characteristic, and the Equality Act tidied things up by making it clear it refers to any gender-related sexual orientation (no, Glenn Quagmire, shagging sheep is not a protected characteristic).

Fair point, my bad!
  • Options

Ah yeah, 'witty' comments about the Welsh are always excluded! My bad as well....
  • Options
    The world isn't always black and white
    1zojfis.jpg
  • Options
    She's top and into everything :D
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    The world isn't always black and white

Not when you've got access to Photoshop......
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Not when you've got access to Photoshop......

I'm a big fan of ms paint :)
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    It wouldn't have said anything about my 'opinion' - purely because I don't have one. I use labels for lots of different types of people, myself included.

Again that's why I said it would be a 'test' case.

I hate to say "I told you so"....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gay-dads-sue-church-england-2119665
  • Options
    So?
  • Options
    Equality only when it's the popular choice. If the CoE wants the right to refuse them what business is it of theirs to stifle a particular church's view when other churches will happily accept them?
  • Options
    Some homosexuals are CofE. Why should they go to MCC or URC? CofE is the ONLY church written into the law.
This discussion has been closed.